ROM Hack [Translation] Dragon Quest VII

Helmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking for interest hackers or people fluent in Japanese.
Please post if interested and what you could offer.

Please don't spam this topic to say you are excited. Or ask about progress.
Thanks, hope to hear back from some of you brilliant minds out there.

Reactions: chrisluna413

Helmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I worked on dragon quest 3 for snes. The fan translation anyways, and we released it.
This project is well underway. I personally am a developer who has been making tools to assist.

I am merely looking for more people who can offer assistance as this game has a massive script and may take a significant amount of time to get done with the current team size and time we all have each week.

I do not speak Japanese but have already translated a lot with an automated Ali translator utility I've written and verified and edited with the dragon quest world naming scheme.

Again, we need more people.
My team has not made an official announcement yet on the project to the public so I'm trying to not divulge all information in a public thread just yet.

Binebina87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
IIRC there already are some people (Dragons Den or sth like that) translating the game (I dont how how far they are or if this project is still ongoing)
Maybe if you didnt know of them yet you could ask them?

Helmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am one of them.

We are still looking for more people who love this series to assist in the translation. There is a lot of dialog. The more help given the sooner well be able to play it. There is minimal having left to do. Just translating. Menu and general text is beating completion

Reactions: chrisluna413

Helmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow a useful response would be great. There had got to be some hard working people out there or talent to assist

michelthemaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey Guys. What about Dragon Quest Monsters: Terrys Wonderland? It would be awesome, if you guys going to get a translation to work :-)

Helmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is something I am interested in, but it's going to take forever with only 2 guys.
I made tools to auto translate using Google and Bing, and it just requires proof reading and some editting.

Im not recruiting only those who know japanese

olfa

Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
That is something I am interested in, but it's going to take forever with only 2 guys.
I made tools to auto translate using Google and Bing, and it just requires proof reading and some editting.

Im not recruiting only those who know japanese

well even if google translations aren't so accurate, if you get the general meaning of the sentences
it should allow you to play it :D
(we could also look for some translaters in the manga community ... ;) )

it would be great to be able to play dragon quest + the 2 dragon quest monsters

michelthemaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If its only google autotranslated, i allready would be damn happy. I tried it, playing the JPN Version while looking at my browser window at the pc. But thats just damn umcomfortable and sucks, cause you cant do anything without the browser. Thanks for your upcoming work ;-)

michelthemaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@ valyr: Interessting question. If Terrys Wonderland have the same text as the Original, when it would be much easier to translate. Too good to be true ^^

Helmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both versions have LOTS of differences, including things like streetpass, online functionality, etc.
I dont know what Launchpad is, i'll have to take a look.

I built a tool and am only auto translating as we get to it, as each month has a data cap for the translate APIs per key (not IP/user)

[^Blark^]

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terrys wonderland 3D I've been doing my own little project not actually rom hacking simply translating screenshots of various things in the game and text translated.

This post can be found here

https://gbatemp.net/threads/dqm-tw3d-translation-w-pictures.384697/
but I just contacted the administration to see if it can get moved to this thread. "Rom hacking ,translations" I hope DQ VII gets completed I love the series.

Reactions: Helmax

Helmax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well even if google translations aren't so accurate, if you get the general meaning of the sentences
it should allow you to play it :D
(we could also look for some translaters in the manga community ... ;) )

it would be great to be able to play dragon quest + the 2 dragon quest monsters

That's essentially what I'm saying, but I need people willing to
put the man hours in outside of myself.
I built and will provide the tools, just need the workers.

just curious, how are the japanese characters/text stored in this game?

UTF-8 for the most part.
Had to decrypt one of the file formats, but it was fairly simple.
People that worked on DQM:J2 for DS helped with that.

Why not just, in the meantime, duplicate the PS1 localization and then work on translating the new content/script as time allows?

That would be a great idea, if I hadn't already thought of that and tried it!
I have the full DW7 PSX script dumped, and yes its in english.

The problem is its formatted completely different, and nothing lines up.
For instance, the DIALOG portion of DQ73DS, the very first file, is the very first story scene, and they are in different formats in different folders.
Everything is just mixed together with DW7 scripts, and I have yet to take the time to figure it out.

Additionally, there are new features and changes in this game that didnt exist in the other one, with extra dialog, new/missing characters.

Without the japanese script to somehow compare to, and that one doesnt like up with DW7 either, this idea ends up not being that great.
However we have it as a reference

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: