ROM Hack [Translation] Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Cobi and Tara's Marvelous Mysterious Key [WIP | v0.4]

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It does need a decrypted cia file. When dumping the game as I describe in my instructions it is decrypted by default. This is most likely the reason it failed.

You can make a LayeredFS patch as well. My instructions Installing LayeredFS describe how to do this, but I know using Translation Toolkit which doesn't work for you.

See Progress EN (English) or Release Notes. But there will be a 100% translation in the future.

It's your partner monster, your buddy. You get it early on in the game to join you on your journey.

nice, looking foward to the complete finshed english patch for this game,
yeah the LayerFS patch is alot easier to use, um since the translation toolkit doesn't work for my os (x86),
i saw on the toolkit's page that it can be bulit into a .exe file from the .py using pip installer command as described on the page at the bottom, it's rather easy to do, so maybe since i have python 3.8 installed and an 32bt os, and i added python to PATH, and pip.

i bulit the .exe from the .py for Gamepatcher, and that opens now without that version compatalty error.

but for trans toolkit when i try to run the bulit .exe it gives some errors on module not found, what do i need to do to bulid the translation tool kit from .py into .exe?

the bulid infro says that i need this:

Setup
This program is written using Python 3.8. Addionally you need JTools.py found in BinJ Editor.

so in the translation toolkit folder i need to add the JTools.py from BINkeditor folder and anything esle?

using python isn't that hard, the commands on how to install, pack stuff is there, and it just works. which is rather cool.

i also installed pyclip and qt5 from the binjeditor page.

i saw a video yesetrday on how to convert any python .py to .exe that helped me understand how it works and how easy it is to do myself.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i bulit the .exe from the .py for Gamepatcher, and that opens now without that version compatalty error.
Nice. And did it work to patch the cia using your GamePatcher exe?

so in the translation toolkit folder i need to add the JTools.py from BINkeditor folder and anything esle?
You need to put JTools.py in a folder named BinJEditor (-> BinJEditor/JTools.py). I don't think I used any external libraries, so that should be it.

Edit: Also, if you're using Python yourself, you don't need to convert it to an .exe file. You can just use python to run it directly instead.

Last edited by Ich_73,
Reactions: 2DSGamerdude

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Nice. And did it work to patch the cia using your GamePatcher exe?

You need to put JTools.py in a folder named BinJEditor (-> BinJEditor/JTools.py). I don't think I used any external libraries, so that should be it.

Edit: Also, if you're using Python yourself, you don't need to convert it to an .exe file. You can just use python to run it directly instead.

i haven't tryed using the GP to patch the cia, but i think it shouls work, also should the patches be in zip file in gp folder?

oh okay, so in the trnaslation tookit folder i have a folder named "BinJeditor" that has the JTools.py file in it?

okay, i'll give that a try an see how it goes, and i'll let you know.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@2DSGamerdude
The game as cia, the patches as zip and GamePatcher.exe in the same folder and run it.
The foldername should be "BinJEditor" (with capital B, J and E) in case it doesn't work.

hay, Ich_73
i tryed the Gamepacther method and it didn't work unfort, it gave me this error (depsite the .exe running on win 32 (bulit into .exe from source .py using python 3.8 x86)

Gamepatcher error.jpg

since that method didn't work, i tryed the LayerFS method:

i got it working using the setup you stated, and it loads up now, cool.
python buliding to .exe is easy, and it's nice and compact than having all the soucre files.

"TranslationToolkit win32 ver working.jpg'[/URL]']
TranslationToolkit win32 ver working.jpg

um, i ran it and got this error, but i got some files from it, also how big should the LayerFS patch be? i got 649kb in my _dist_EN_v1.0 folder?

"TranslationToolkit Errror'[/URL]']
TranslationToolkit error.jpg

not sure what this error means, but the kit works as i could open it with no version errors or such, maybe the issue is X1 or whatever that is related? i have no idea.
but isn't the soucre zip for toolkit bulit for a specific os target like win64, or since i bulit the .exe from the python sycrit using python 3.8 x86 on my 32bit os, then why is error message? strange tho.

also once i get that folder can i simply copy it to Luma/Titles/DQM2 ID via pc or does it need to be via FTP? cause in the D command it sys that you can copy it to the cia for patching?

hope this pics and info that i provided you help out figuring ut what the issue is,

overall from my testing of the DQM2 patching methods:

1) maunal: doesn't work
2) Gamepatcher: doesn't work
3) LayerFS: works? not 100% sure tho.

thanx for the help, ICH_73 and so to bother you with this issue, but it seems like a rather werid issue that i have when trying to patch this game specifly, the first DQM1 worked much easier than this one.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@2DSGamerdude
Both errors come down to the same problem: using other tools, from other developers. My programs automatically download them, but they do download the 64-bit versions. So this is what I'll need to change. I hope I have some time to work on that on the weekend. In the meantime you could try to manually download the 32-bit versions of those tools. I documented the exact versions I use in the readme of both projects (TT, GP).

The layeredFS folder should be about 100-200 MB in size and you can just copy it to the luma/titles/<id> folder manually.

the first DQM1 worked much easier than this one
If the manual way doesn't work, it's most likely a problem with your cia. That wouldn't be different with DQMT.
The other tools are intended to make patching way easier than before, but I do understand it's a problem that I only provide them for windows 64-bit.

Last edited by Ich_73,

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@2DSGamerdude
Both errors come down to the same problem: using other tools, from other developers. My programs automatically download them, but they do download the 64-bit versions. So this is what I'll need to change. I hope I have some time to work on that on the weekend. In the meantime you could try to manually download the 32-bit versions of those tools. I documented the exact versions I use in the readme of both projects (TT, GP).

The layeredFS folder should be about 100-200 MB in size and you can just copy it to the luma/titles/<id> folder manually.

If the manual way doesn't work, it's most likely a problem with your cia. That wouldn't be different with DQMT.
The other tools are intended to make patching way easier than before, but I do understand it's a problem that I only provide them for windows 64-bit.

hmm, i see so it boils down to version compatabilty,
so if i manually replace the tools of "Makerom, Ctr-tool & 3ds-tool" from 64 -> 32bit variants, i think i have the on my pc,
then GP and TT .exe should work?

also when you convert the .py to .exe using python it converts all the files/resocurces that exist in the said folder?
so if i replace the tools above with 32bits vers and then bulid to .exe the GP and TT programs
they should work with no errors?

that would be great if you can change the donwloaded programs of TT to 32bit (for my case specficly).

i'll give this suggestion a go and let you know what happens, cheers!

i think the game for DQM2 is fine as it installs and works fine on my 3ds in unpatched form,
it's the pacthing that is the issue i think.

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@2DSGamerdude
From my short research it seems like there are no 32-bit versions of makerom and ctrtool, so GamePatcher for 32-bit would not work I think, but there is a 32-bit version of xdelta which should make TranslationToolkit work.

It doesn't matter for those tools what py-to-exe does, because they are downloaded afterwards. Those tools are not packaged into the exe.

Last edited by Ich_73,

Shiin3

Trophies
XP
Country
Bahrain
hi, i have problem when i start run patcher . these output is xdelta is to short. like a pic that i attach. i have run with other cia from other web. btw these come like a same problem. so how can i solve it ? sir.
upload_2021-3-3_3-45-2.png

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Shiin3 You need Patches-v1.0-EN.zip to patch the game itself, Patches-v1.1-EN.zip is additionally used to patch the update of the game if you want to play online and have it as well.

Last edited by Ich_73,

Sevithian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is it safe to say we won't be getting an update to the current build until progress has been completed on the project, or are you planning to release another preview build before then? I check the progress on Git near daily to see if any substantial progress has been made yet, so I was curious to ask whether or not you're going to update what we have now or if you felt you were close enough to wait until the project was completed.

Either way, great work.

2DSGamerdude

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
hay Inch_73
thank you for the 32bit ver of GP aswell.
looking forward to the new updates to this game whenver they come out.

also one thing,

1) is the manual for this game (as it has one, whereas DQM 1 3D doesn't have one) is it trnalsted to english?
or maybe becuase im using the LayerFS method, the manual is not translated, just wondering.
np if it's not.

2) the story text is still in jap, but everything else is great in english, and the wifi loby is in jap too (not sure if having the v1.1 update translated installed) translates that to english?

also is DQM 2 connceted to DQM 1 in anyway storywise or lorewise? or are they totaly spearate stoires?

Ich_73

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@2DSGamerdude
1) The manual is not translated (and we are not planning to do so).
2) if you install the unpatched v1.1 update it will override some parts of the v1.0 english translation, but you can patch the v1.1 update to english as well as you probably did using the LayeredFS patch.
3) afaic the games are totaly seperate, but I don't know for sure.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs