• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

‘Transgender’ Could Be Defined Out of Existence Under Trump Administration

seren3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, I agree that there needs to be an inclusion of transgender as an option as they should have the same rights and they do.

I think this is more of an attack on the ideology going around that you can be any "gender" you believe is what you are, which is quickly spiraling out of control.

Like I understand, you want to label yourself for whatever reason you may have, but that could just be a subcategory of 'transgender'. It's neither of the existing ones.

When you try and make literally ALL of them into Law, that's where things can troubling and should be stopped like they're trying to do.

LOVE AND PEACE PEOPLE! No reason to riot and block traffic because you feel 'entitled'.
peace and love

Last edited by seren3,

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
That's where you're wrong buddy. I've been friends and worked with transgender people. They do not care what it says on the papers. They understand they are not the gender they claim to be, it's just a social thing for them and they get it. The only thing they value is how they are treated by people around them. Not a dumb label.
You don't speak for transgender people. I care.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the way I see it, there are a few arguments for and against this case. One argument for is that it makes things easier on the government and those processing paperwork to simply have to narrow it down two options. Also, when it comes to a lot on the government side, they associate your national record with your medical record and your birth certificate, so I can understand to this degree why moderates, republicans and those processing paperwork would rather have this, especially when there are gender-fluid people out there who are going to mark their paperwork differently every time.

One alternative is that sex should only be used for medical paperwork, since it is for the sole purpose of the doctor knowing how best to treat their patient, and gender identity should be used elsewhere. The one place I can see this being a problem is where the parent is filling out paperwork for their child. People insist that just because a boy is more feminine, or that a girl is more masculine, it makes them transgender, but it's a similar scenario to thinking you have a particular illness just because you have one or two symptoms of it. So no, I don't think transgender should be a usable option to represent someone under the age of 18. People say that any child or teenager should have the right to choose their gender, but the hard truth there is that the prefrontal cortex of the brain, which is responsible for rationalization between emotions, is still undergoing development, and in fact, isn't even fully developed until around age 25.

Anyway, in all honesty, I see little wrong with going on the consensus of what your are born with as far as governmental stuff goes, since it also aligns with medical records. And people have, for a while now, been disputing the definition of sex and gender. The one part that raises most issues is that they seem to be associating this with social status. I'm not sure it it's the Trump administration, or if it's just NYT doing their own special filtering, but if governmental status and social status are synonymous, then that's where things get messed up.

--

I realize this is going to get a lot of hate, since I'm a moderate/centrist, I take things for what I perceive as face value, and I try to analyze things on a case-by-case scenario. I hate taking sides, political parties, party journalists and this stupid political climate where people have to get sensitive over every god-damned issue because they can't go off the simple principle of live and let live, or they can't understand that not everything is black and white.

A wise Whiterun guard once told me, "Stormcloaks, Imperials, dragons. Ain't no matter to me what I kill. Let them come." ~ Kill indiscriminately, peeps.

--

Let's say someone who is trans (IDs as/is female, under this new status, they'd be written up as male) goes to the bathroom for that which gender they ID as/are.

Some asshole with a bone to pick then proceeds to make their life hell over this and eventually this goes to the point where legislation becomes involved.

What defense can someone make against this under these changes? Their status as IDing/being a female isn't written down anywhere on a legal document. Their documents all refer to them as a male, even though they ID/are a woman.

Would this person be forced to go to the male bathroom and as a result be forced into a constant reminder that they can't be who they want to be?

(Sidenote: I'm in full support of unisex bathrooms, the only thing seperating male and female bathrooms is urinoirs and those are disgusting anyway.)

1. This issue is not so much related to the topic of this thread. To me anyway, it's more about paperwork than anything. But I do certainly agree that it's an issue that ought to be addressed, and Trump's administration isn't quite making anything better here.

2. Sadly, assholes are everywhere and give people grief for a variety of reasons. I had a friend in elementary school who was bullied because he breathed through his mouth, and some thought it was gross and annoying. Bullying isn't exclusive to a group of people, it is a plight in a lot of schools, and even in work places. The best thing you can do is report it, but even that takes some mustering of courage.

3. I don't necessarily agree with government status equaling social status, either.

4. This sounds like a case of gender dysphoria to me. We all have to accept ourselves for who we are and own up to it, but gender dysphoric people are unable to cope. In this case, they need legit psychological help. Keep in mind also that transgender and gender dysphoric are not the same. Gender dysphoric people are under anxiety because of the gender they are born with. These are the ones that often commit suicide, even after transitioning, and sadly, the current political climate only raises their anxiety. The remedy for a schizophrenic patient isn't to let him go untreated. This is the same case for a gender dysphoric individual. The only cure for something like this is help, and hopefully the understanding that they are fine the way they are, whether they choose to transition or not.

5. I support unisex restrooms as well.

--

And people wonder why so many stay hidden in closet, living in pain.

This is usually the case for gender dysphoric people. The best they can do is seek psychological help, and hopefully accept who they are whether or not they choose to transition. The document in question seems to be more for government paperwork than anything. People need to come to the understanding that they're not under a magnifying glass by the state just because they're different. Same can't be said for society though, sadly enough. Either way, I doubt a couple of government papers are going to make the difference for how you're treated in the real world, unless they outright called for discrimination against that group of people.

Moral of the story - don't freak out over every little thing the news reports. 98% of the time it's meant for fear-mongering, same as what Fox News tries to do in the case of terrorism and "persecution" of Christians and Jewish people.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason to argue against the same protections under law for transgender people that everyone else receives. You'd have to be a really insecure douchebag to believe you have to "lose" something as a heterosexual in order for the government and society at large to treat trans individuals with basic human decency.

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can get on board with that. For the sake of having an international standard, a non-malleable definition is useful.

Your life only depends on this if you never had one to begin with. (I.E. if you are an NPC)

Haha thanks, I mean I'm hoping people actually try and calm down and think about everything going on lately, since everything that keeps getting blown up is because Trump got elected so literally everyone is basically required to hate him. I don't like the guy per say, but I like his policies more than Hillary's, and yes, she should be in jail.

Reactions: seren3

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1984:
"They first started by subverting the language... For if you control the language, you control the people."

My God, he genuinely wants to overthrow the government. He wants to create a totalitarian society with him at the top.
Of course there had to be someone quoting that fucking book.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
did you decide otherwise finally? You're of course free not to answer, but I'd find it really annoying if the main reason was people still living in the 18th century.
Sorry if you already answered (I didn't read all the thread).
My family is all Republicunts.

Reactions: Enkuler

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Never said I was using her as an excuse, and which policies are shit per say?
That list would go on for days, but most of all I don't know how anyone could support a president who bends over backward for dictators and despots regularly. First Putin, then Kim Jong Un, and now the Saudi royal family. As long as they praise him or have enough money on the table, the US is free for pillaging under Trump.

Last edited by Xzi,

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That list would go on for days, but most of all I don't know how anyone could support a president who bends over backward for dictators and despots regularly. First Putin, then Kim Jong Un, and now the Saudi royal family. As long as they praise Trump or have enough money on the table, the US is free for pillaging.

What exactly has he been bending over backwards for Kim Jong Un other than trying to fix the relations between them and South Korea? Both of their leaders who've been at war and you think that it's a bad thing? Seriously?!

Reactions: Deleted User

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly has he been bending over backwards for Kim Jong Un other than trying to fix the relations between them and South Korea? Both of their leaders who've been at war and you think that it's a bad thing? Seriously?!
I would think it's because he constantly praises dictators like Kim Jong Un, wishing he was one himself, while simultaneously attacking allies like Canada.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's one thing to try and fix relationships between countries. It's another thing entirely to refer to the guy as someone he "loves".

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That list would go on for days, but most of all I don't know how anyone could support a president who bends over backward for dictators and despots regularly. First Putin, then Kim Jong Un, and now the Saudi royal family. As long as they praise him or have enough money on the table, the US is free for pillaging under Trump.
about the saudi's didn't hey say if the assassination of the reporter was true they'll be hell to pay? anyways sooner or later if trump has his way LGBT community will be classed as low aa illegals with no protections either way if we don't push back it'll just get way worse

Last edited by chrisrlink,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2