Sogdiana
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard that it's nothing but an expensive General Motors Commercial. It kinda sucked... Is this actually true? I like Transformers and I really don't want to be disappointed. Also on the side note, General Motors are trying everything, they are that much more desperate, because the Auto Union is destroying it. Toyota got ahead of GM now, and stole the title of largest car manufacturer on the planet.

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The movie is really damn good, I don't know why everyone is saying it's just a GM commercial. I mean besides the fact all the Autobots are GMs, but does it really matter?

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
there is a fair bit of product placement, only the mention of armageddon bothered me.

no one in their right mind would consider the movie an advertisment for GM motors, I didn't even know GM was in it

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Transformers itself has always been a toy commercial in the form of cartoons and comics.

Now it's a 2 hour toy commercial in theaters.

It's a great movie doing what the franchise always has.

Deadmon

A Temper
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Product placement didn't ruin the movie one bit for me.

In fact, it adds to the realism of Transformers..XD
Well, you could just think that all the Tranformers just HAPPENED to pick GM vehicles to transform to...>_>

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Or perhaps GM didn't originate from Earth.
unsure.gif

I was skeptical about seeing this, not because of the GM thing, but because I haven't really had any interest in Transformers since I was like 5. But after hearing good things about the movie, I'm anxious to see it.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Movie was awesome. Go see it.

I noticed lots of Mountain Dew product placements, but didn't really think about how most the Autobots were GM models. Oh well.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh noes! They showed GMC on the front of the cars!

That didn't bother me at all. The only part that bugged me was when the girl popped out the SD card and the camera zoomed in so the SD card took up the full screen and you could clearly read Panasonic 2 Gig on it.

This movie absolutely rocked. Me and my dad went to see it and we both want to see it again.

suprneb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ZOMGZOMGZOMFGZOMFG

TRANSFORMERS IS PROLLY THE BEST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN

AND ITS MADE MOVIE HISTORY ALREADY - $27.4 MILLION ON OPENING DAY (NO OTHER MOVIE CAN COMPETE)

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is a fair bit of product placement, only the mention of armageddon bothered me.

no one in their right mind would consider the movie an advertisment for GM motors, I didn't even know GM was in it

What do you mean the mention of armageddon? As in the end of the world or something?
Can you clarify?

As for advertising in the movie, it's not any worse than any other movie these days.

The main thing that bothered me was the propagation of the black subculture that almost ruined this film.
The biggest example, of course, being the breakdancing, jive-talking robot Jazz. "Yo this looks like a sweet place to chill."
I know Jazz was "black" in the old show, but this was too much.

Them having Optimus saying "my bad" literally almost made me walk out.

But once I found out Steven Spielberg produced this film, it all made sense.

And don't get me started on the hacker guy.

Speaking of the hacker, another weakness of this movie was the fact that they had few weak sub-stories instead of one or two strong ones. The worst was the hacker. Why was he even in the movie? He didn't contribute. Maybe at the beginning they had him "scan the code" for all of like 5 seconds and then find out the phrase "project frostman" or whatever.

But! Despite all that being said, the giant robots and the mere fact that it's Transormers made this movie awesome!
I'd watch it several times!

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The main thing that bothered me was the propagation of the black subculture that almost ruined this film.
The biggest example, of course, being the breakdancing, jive-talking robot Jazz. "Yo this looks like a sweet place to chill."
I know Jazz was "black" in the old show, but this was too much.

Well, Jazz *was* voiced by Eddie Winslow: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0566902/

Go figure that the guy played the role up a little bit.

QUOTE said:
Them having Optimus saying "my bad" literally almost made me walk out.

I can't believe you would say that. One of my favorite things about Transformers was that it was actually funnier than most comedies nowadays. And that's one of my favorite lines.

QUOTE said:
But once I found out Steven Spielberg produced this film, it all made sense.

Um. What?

And don't get me started on the hacker guy.

Speaking of the hacker, another weakness of this movie was the fact that they had few weak sub-stories instead of one or two strong ones. The worst was the hacker. Why was he even in the movie? He didn't contribute. Maybe at the beginning they had him "scan the code" for all of like 5 seconds and then find out the phrase "project frostman" or whatever.

Yes. I too felt that the movie suffered from too many character syndrome. The hacker guy wasn't necessary, and neither was his girl hacker friend. And it seemed like her character was pretty much artificially injected into the story. The pentagon is hiring staff straight out of high school? I'm always very lenient on my nonsense plots, but in a movie where giant alien robots that transform into cars and jets are battling each other, I was left scratching my head. "Why hiring staff straight out of high school?" "What ever happened to her? They just stopped showing her storyline."

Ah well. Like I said before. Fantastic movie.
wub.gif

Deadmon

A Temper
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Oh noes! They showed GMC on the front of the cars!

That didn't bother me at all. The only part that bugged me was when the girl popped out the SD card and the camera zoomed in so the SD card took up the full screen and you could clearly read Panasonic 2 Gig on it.

This movie absolutely rocked. Me and my dad went to see it and we both want to see it again.

Yea, that Panasonic SD card bit was just a bit too much. I swear it remained zoomed up on screen for like 2 full seconds..

What do you mean the mention of armageddon? As in the end of the world or something?
Can you clarify?

Armageddon was Michael Bay's previous movie. So, when the teenager who was saying "This is better than Armageddon!", Michael Bay was poking at his own previous movie. Bit of self product placement there
tongue.gif

paOol

Trophies
XP
Country
transformers was really good. it seemed action packed the entire movie, and i went to watch it opening night july 2, 11:45pm , and when optimus came out for the first time and did his transforming scene, the entire theater was going ape shit. and megan fox just made the movie better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.techradar.com/gaming/consoles-pc/ayns-new-gaming-handheld-looks-like-a-psp-and-it-mig...