Transformers - Most expensive GM commercial

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Westside, Jul 7, 2007.

Jul 7, 2007
  1. Westside
    OP

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard that it's nothing but an expensive General Motors Commercial. It kinda sucked... Is this actually true? I like Transformers and I really don't want to be disappointed. Also on the side note, General Motors are trying everything, they are that much more desperate, because the Auto Union is destroying it. Toyota got ahead of GM now, and stole the title of largest car manufacturer on the planet.

2. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    The movie is really damn good, I don't know why everyone is saying it's just a GM commercial. I mean besides the fact all the Autobots are GMs, but does it really matter?

3. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    there is a fair bit of product placement, only the mention of armageddon bothered me.

no one in their right mind would consider the movie an advertisment for GM motors, I didn't even know GM was in it

4. Danieluz

Member Danieluz GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Just saw the movie a couple of hours ago, and it was awesome!!

5. HeatMan Advance

Member HeatMan Advance GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Transformers itself has always been a toy commercial in the form of cartoons and comics.

Now it's a 2 hour toy commercial in theaters.

It's a great movie doing what the franchise always has.

6. Deadmon

Member Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Product placement didn't ruin the movie one bit for me.

In fact, it adds to the realism of Transformers..XD
    Well, you could just think that all the Tranformers just HAPPENED to pick GM vehicles to transform to...>_>

7. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Or perhaps GM didn't originate from Earth. [​IMG]

I was skeptical about seeing this, not because of the GM thing, but because I haven't really had any interest in Transformers since I was like 5. But after hearing good things about the movie, I'm anxious to see it.

8. Scorpin200

Banned Scorpin200 Iceman

United States
    The movie was ok i've seen better, but good for what it was even though they story was just made up with nothing to do with the original.

9. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Movie was awesome. Go see it.

I noticed lots of Mountain Dew product placements, but didn't really think about how most the Autobots were GM models. Oh well.

10. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Oh noes! They showed GMC on the front of the cars!

That didn't bother me at all. The only part that bugged me was when the girl popped out the SD card and the camera zoomed in so the SD card took up the full screen and you could clearly read Panasonic 2 Gig on it.

This movie absolutely rocked. Me and my dad went to see it and we both want to see it again.

11. suprneb

Member suprneb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ZOMGZOMGZOMFGZOMFG

TRANSFORMERS IS PROLLY THE BEST MOVIE IVE EVER SEEN

AND ITS MADE MOVIE HISTORY ALREADY - $27.4 MILLION ON OPENING DAY (NO OTHER MOVIE CAN COMPETE)

12. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States

What do you mean the mention of armageddon? As in the end of the world or something?
    Can you clarify?

As for advertising in the movie, it's not any worse than any other movie these days.

The main thing that bothered me was the propagation of the black subculture that almost ruined this film.
    The biggest example, of course, being the breakdancing, jive-talking robot Jazz. "Yo this looks like a sweet place to chill."
    I know Jazz was "black" in the old show, but this was too much.

Them having Optimus saying "my bad" literally almost made me walk out.

But once I found out Steven Spielberg produced this film, it all made sense.

And don't get me started on the hacker guy.

Speaking of the hacker, another weakness of this movie was the fact that they had few weak sub-stories instead of one or two strong ones. The worst was the hacker. Why was he even in the movie? He didn't contribute. Maybe at the beginning they had him "scan the code" for all of like 5 seconds and then find out the phrase "project frostman" or whatever.

But! Despite all that being said, the giant robots and the mere fact that it's Transormers made this movie awesome!
    I'd watch it several times!

13. spokenrope

Member spokenrope c7

United States
    Yes. I too felt that the movie suffered from too many character syndrome. The hacker guy wasn't necessary, and neither was his girl hacker friend. And it seemed like her character was pretty much artificially injected into the story. The pentagon is hiring staff straight out of high school? I'm always very lenient on my nonsense plots, but in a movie where giant alien robots that transform into cars and jets are battling each other, I was left scratching my head. "Why hiring staff straight out of high school?" "What ever happened to her? They just stopped showing her storyline."

Ah well. Like I said before. Fantastic movie. [​IMG]

14. Deadmon

Member Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Armageddon was Michael Bay's previous movie. So, when the teenager who was saying "This is better than Armageddon!", Michael Bay was poking at his own previous movie. Bit of self product placement there [​IMG]

15. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    [​IMG]

Here's a picture of the SD card.

16. paOol

Member paOol GBAtemp Regular

transformers was really good. it seemed action packed the entire movie, and i went to watch it opening night july 2, 11:45pm , and when optimus came out for the first time and did his transforming scene, the entire theater was going ape shit. and megan fox just made the movie better.