Feedback Transferring WiiU virtual console save files to Retroarch on Switch

xTheOG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to transfer my save data from The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask N64 virtual console to Retroarch and I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I backed up the save files from SaveMii an accessed them on my WiiU SD card. I tried to rename the .sav files to .srm and drop them to retroarch/cores/savefiles and when I load up the game it doesn't do load my save file. I made sure to rename the .srm file to match the name of the rom file but I am still coming up empty. Hopefully this post is worded correctly. If you have any questions and would like for me to clarify more information I will do my best.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I haven't ever done what you're doing, but I'd guess there's two problems at play here.

Problem 1: The Wii U (and Wii, and also the N64 actually) is a big-endian console, so N64 saves are written and read "backward" relative to how they're handled on little-endian platforms, like any modern PC or the Switch.

Solution 1: ED64-Saveswap will allow you to byte- and word-swap your save to arrange it in the direction little-endian consoles expect to read their saves. This is a GUI tool, so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

Problem 2: RetroArch Mupen64+ has its own custom save format which is distinct from any other emulator, so there's no kind of save file you can just rename and start using on that RetroArch core.

Solution 2: ra_mp64_srm_convert is a tool which converts between traditional N64 save formats and RetroArch Mupen64+'s dedicated save format. It's a command-line application, but if you don't feel confident using the command prompt, it is designed to "guess" what you want based on the file you supply if you just drag and drop your save file onto the app.

Between both of these tools, I think you can probably get your save working on Switch.

xTheOG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't ever done what you're doing, but I'd guess there's two problems at play here.

Problem 1: The Wii U (and Wii, and also the N64 actually) is a big-endian console, so N64 saves are written and read "backward" relative to how they're handled on little-endian platforms, like any modern PC or the Switch.

Solution 1: ED64-Saveswap will allow you to byte- and word-swap your save to arrange it in the direction little-endian consoles expect to read their saves. This is a GUI tool, so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

Problem 2: RetroArch Mupen64+ has its own custom save format which is distinct from any other emulator, so there's no kind of save file you can just rename and start using on that RetroArch core.

Solution 2: ra_mp64_srm_convert is a tool which converts between traditional N64 save formats and RetroArch Mupen64+'s dedicated save format. It's a command-line application, but if you don't feel confident using the command prompt, it is designed to "guess" what you want based on the file you supply if you just drag and drop your save file onto the app.

Between both of these tools, I think you can probably get your save working on Switch.
i’m going to try this when i get home hopefully

xTheOG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

My .sav files converts to a .bak file and the mp64 srm convert app doesnt recognize it

Last edited by xTheOG,

xTheOG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm gonna be honest I have no clue what I'm doing

xTheOG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The .bak is just a backup of the save you started with, the converted file is the .sav, so the swapped .sav is the file to give to the srm converter
okay so the srm converter doesn't recognize the sav file i inserted. should i rename the extension on the converted sav file to srm?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
okay so the srm converter doesn't recognize the sav file i inserted. should i rename the extension on the converted sav file to srm?
Looking at how the converter works, it seems to guess the original file type by extension (N64 cartridges can save onto several different types of storage memory inside the cart). Majora's Mask saves onto a flash chip, so try renaming the .sav to .fla before dropping it onto the converter.

Reactions: xTheOG

xTheOG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at how the converter works, it seems to guess the original file type by extension (N64 cartridges can save onto several different types of storage memory inside the cart). Majora's Mask saves onto a flash chip, so try renaming the .sav to .fla before dropping it onto the converter.
Thank you so much for your help! All of these things got it to work and I was able to put it on my switch! I can't express to you how grateful I am!! Thank you so much

Reactions: Vague Rant

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool