Homebrew Transferring Wii U VC Games to 3DS VC Games: Is It Possible?

theultikirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there utilities on the Wii U and 3DS to extract and inject games. I am going to be eventually buying some Wii U VC games from the eShop. I was wondering if it is possible to extract the Wii U VC games, convert them to 3DS format (might be the hard part), and inject them into my New 3DS XL (not hacked yet)?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
obviously not lol games coded for wiiu are coded in ppc, games coded for 3ds are coded in arm, totaly diferent systems... why would they even be similar? seriously...

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is about VC, so emulating other systems than Wii U and 3DS.

@theultikirby Extracting the ROMs from the Wii U is simple. For injecting them into the 3DS maybe ask at https://gbatemp.net/forums/nintendo-3ds.199/
How to extract ROMs from Wii U? Never did that (only on 3DS).

New Super Ultimate Injector (NSUI) for injecting ROMs into official 3DS Virtual Console emulators (and the AGB_FIRM)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/discussion-new-super-ultimate-injector-nsui.500376/
https://3ds.eiphax.tech/nsui

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How to extract ROMs from Wii U?
This depends a bit on the VC but generally the ROM is somewhere at the titles cotent folder. For N64 injects that would be usb:/usr/title/00050000/[TidHigh]/content/rom/[SomeWeirdFilename] (there is just one file in the rom folder).

//EDIT: IIRC this weird file is a big endian N64 rom, so all you need to do is to change the file extension to .z64

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This depends a bit on the VC but generally the ROM is somewhere at the titles cotent folder. For N64 inects that would be usb:/usr/title/00050000/[TidHigh]/rom/[SomeWeirdFilename] (there is just one file in the rom folder).

//EDIT: IIRC these weird file is in reality a big endian N64 rom, so all you need to do is to change the file extension to .z64
Similar to 3DS then (though there is no official N64 emulator for 3DS).
Thanks.

Someday I should really look into Wii U a bit more.

Pretty easy thing then. Getting ROM file from Wii U, injecting with NSUI, installing resulting .cia file on 3DS (of course it must be a game for an old console that has an official emulator on both, the Wii U and the 3DS).

Reactions: V10lator

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is about VC, so emulating other systems than Wii U and 3DS.

@theultikirby Extracting the ROMs from the Wii U is simple. For injecting them into the 3DS maybe ask at https://gbatemp.net/forums/nintendo-3ds.199/
what is the point then? it shoudl be way easier to find a rom online instead of going through the hassle of extring roms from VC files to inject in another vc file imo, and afaik all vc roms are 1:1 with all the roms out there already, anything that isnt 1:1 isnt on the rom but instead is patched on the fly like sin and punishment English translation, it isnt on the rom but a separate file that does patching while the game is running and so on so the roms are nothing special tbh.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Using what you already have instead of doing actions which could bring you into legal trouble?
i would assume having to hack 2 consoles then dumping official stuff then decrypting said official material to get a rom and then doing it all over again is probably worse legaly than jsut downloading a rom lol

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i would assume having to hack 2 consoles then dumping official stuff then decrypting said official material to get a rom and then doing it all over again is probably worse legaly than jsut downloading a rom lol
We have a saying in germany: Wo kein Kläger, da kein Richter / Where there is no plaintiff, there is no judge.

Nobody knows what you do with your consoles at home but when you download all that it needs for you to get into trouble is the hoster getting raided. Then police will have the server logs with your IP inside.
Also there are laws which allow you to basically hack the planet for science reasons... Maybe the OP just wants to study how this works. Maybe the OP is even a computer science teacher who wants to show this to his students. Both would be completely legal.

//EDIT: That's also why we are allowed to talk about such stuff here: It's all just science... ;)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ehhh. No? In many jurisdictions installing CFW is fine and dumping/backing up your paid content should be less a problem than downloading (even I don't see any moral difference between dumping paid content or downloading it somewhere after paying – the laws make a big difference here – I can only speak for Germany).

In addition to that: Dumping ROMs from your console has some kind of learning effect. It gives a nice feeling. It requires at least a bit of diving into the matter – other than downloading complete No-Intro sets from some archive.

what is the point then? it shoudl be way easier to find a rom online instead of going through the hassle of extring roms from VC files to inject in another vc file imo, and afaik all vc roms are 1:1 with all the roms out there already, anything that isnt 1:1 isnt on the rom but instead is patched on the fly like sin and punishment English translation, it isnt on the rom but a separate file that does patching while the game is running and so on so the roms are nothing special tbh.
All 1:1 copies? You should have told Nintendo to do that with Link's Awakening DX… instead of butchering even more jokes than in the original DX release.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to extract ROMs from Wii U? Never did that (only on 3DS).

New Super Ultimate Injector (NSUI) for injecting ROMs into official 3DS Virtual Console emulators (and the AGB_FIRM)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/discussion-new-super-ultimate-injector-nsui.500376/
https://3ds.eiphax.tech/nsui
I'm not sure about all games, but gba can be extracted with MArchiveBatchTool . you have to decrypt the .m compiled file, then the rom will be a series of numbers, which you can then rename and add the extension to in order to play on an emulator.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To answer your question, yes, it's possible. There's a better extractor than the one I mentioned above, but I forgot the name of it. Games are just roms compiled differently. For example, ds games are zipped on the wiiu. Gba games are compiled in a .m file. They're named after numbers, so you can rename with extension and they'll work in emulators. To put on the 3ds, I think the program is called new super ultimate Cia converter or something like that ( not at my pc). Go to new, select the system the rom is for, new project, load the rom, add title screen or box art in the box below, then export as Cia. There's a bug with that app when downloading box art, so you need .net framework 4.5 or higher then add two lines to your computer's registry. I've tested this and it works. :D

theultikirby

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all! Yes, I want to learn how the process works. The consoles I have in VC form are DS (might be hard), GBA, SNES, NES, and N64 (on a New 3DS? Come on! Probably not happening). I might get into the Turbografx-16.

While I was making this post, I was wondering it is is possible to move the games from my Wii VC and the SNES Classic to the 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0