Transferring Wii U Mario U Save to New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe

LiquidPlazmid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing around with the New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe save data to transfer some gold medal challenge data from the Wii U to Seitch. I've managed to succeed in transfering all of the old Wii U challenge data I had to the game and even have the replays playing.

However, in some of the replays I ported to the switch I die before finishing the challenge, where on the Wii U the replay shows the challenge being finished.

I didn't make any changes to the replay files themselves so now I'm thinking I may need to. Has there been any research done into these replay files?

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming the replays are just a list of inputs being played back, are you sure nothing to do with the physics were changed between the Wii U and Switch versions? It could be playing them back correctly under different circumstances.

LiquidPlazmid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming the replays are just a list of inputs being played back, are you sure nothing to do with the physics were changed between the Wii U and Switch versions? It could be playing them back correctly under different circumstances.
I haven't seen any documentation of the physics being changed between versions. I do have some suspicious that this could be related to the controller used, but have no way to know for sure.

I have tried to translate how the file stores inputs by having yuzu record my inputs and play them back multiple times but the replay files are different every time.

LiquidPlazmid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
interesting! Can you explain how you did this "save port"? could it be possible for other wiiU games like pikmin?
I don't know if this would apply to other games, since it isn't a general process. Mario U save files are very well documented: Mario U Save Documentation. When I examined the save file from the switch port I noticed the structure was very similar with the only differences being different spacing between values. What I did was take the values from the wii u save and copy pasted them where they should have gone in the switch version. After this I corrected some checksums and the file worked. The challenge replay files are a completely different monster that I can't seem to extract any sort of meaningful knowledge from despite hours of experiments.

Reactions: flowlapache

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Green name in chat :ninja: