Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
So by about Tuesday I'll be getting my new PC (the one I built in my last thread here). I have a folder about 268GB in size with about 95,000 files I want to transfer over to the new PC from my current one. I was wondering if there was a quick way to transfer the files to my new PC, I know you can do it by sharing the folder on the same network or connecting both with an ethernet cable and mapping the network drive or even setting an FTP server on my current PC and doing that but I was wondering which way was the fastest? I feel like the second option is but I want to be sure before I do it.

Thanks in advance!

Suprgamr232

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
If you are going to use an ethernet cable, you need a special Crossover cable.
Just go with a Gigabit cable even if 1 computer (or both) doesn't support it.

If you have a wireless-N router for your network, then there really is no speed difference between the methods; here the HDD speed is the limiting factor.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The fastest would be to connect your old hdd on your new computer and leave it there (only if your old drive is sata)
The second fastest solution would be to connect both drive on the same computer and do a copy paste of the documents you want to copy.
The third fastest would be Gigabit ethernet
The fourth fastest would be to buy a usb adaper for your old drive
The fifth would be to use 100mb ethernet connection
If using the ethernet solution, it's generally better to do a copy paste than using a ftp server/client especially if there's a lot of very small files (could be the software I was using though)

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've always wondered why you needed a special Ethernet cable for this kind of thing. And if both computers are connected to the same router, isn't there some way to transfer files?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
marcus134 said:
The fastest would be to connect your old hdd on your new computer and leave it there (only if your old drive is sata)
The second fastest solution would be to connect both drive on the same computer and do a copy paste of the documents you want to copy.
The third fastest would be Gigabit ethernet
The fourth fastest would be to buy a usb adaper for your old drive
The fifth would be to use 100mb ethernet connection
If using the ethernet solution, it's generally better to do a copy paste than using a ftp server/client especially if there's a lot of very small files (could be the software I was using though)

Well the old PC is going to my little brother so obviously that 1 is out. I was thinking of doing #2 for a while, we'll see about it. I have a USB adapter for SATA HDs so I should be able to do this if all else fails and I could probably end up doing that as well.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Sep 25 2011, 01:51 AM) Modern network cards can automatically switch stuff so you don't need a different kind of ethernet cable. It'd be the fastest assuming both sides are capable of gig-e.
Unfortunately the network card on the old PC doesn't do that...but I'm sure I have a crossover cable laying around somewhere.

Well thanks all for the answers, really helped me out! Will probably post back with the results when I'm done!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1