1. PixyGixy

OP PixyGixy Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    mate i have searched and i couldnt find anything and i said a normal file because i dont want people getting confused as some people think roms can be installed over installers like tinfoil

2. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Youve not looked at all, this forum is full of tools amd guides and this is covered here.

Use the search bar

But wii emulation is shit on the switch so its not worth the time.

Last edited by Retroboy, Jan 22, 2021
  3. PixyGixy

OP PixyGixy Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    i have used the search bar or do i have to be extremely specific also im aware that wii emulation dosnt run well im just testing

Last edited by PixyGixy, Jan 22, 2021
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Ahh yes, convert it to WBFS in that case.

5. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Its a wii iso so look in the wii section and youll find tools to trim.

But your wasting your time, switch can not emulate wii at a decent speed.

If you started you post with this, youd have a simple answer.

6. PixyGixy

OP PixyGixy Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    yeah ik but if you read my other reply you can see i didnt want people confused and what do u not get about testing

7. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Not get confused yet you made it confusing.

When i say what rom is over 4gb you then reply xci nsp to no advantage of your post.

You should have started off with

Im trying to copy wii iso to switch.

But ill tell you now, do not waste your time because the switch can not emulate the wii.

Test all you like, it wont work.

8. pinbi7

pinbi7 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I was under the asumption that psp isos didint go over 1.9gb

9. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    Anyway, like I said before, if you are using Switchroot Android (recommended for Dolphin) you can copy the files to internal storage, which can hold larger files than 4GB.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Jan 23, 2021
  10. duckbill007

duckbill007 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Internal storage formatted as FAT32 with the same limitations.

11. spkatsi

spkatsi Member
    Newcomer

Antarctica
  12. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.

United Kingdom
  13. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    The most shitty answer here folks.

You didn't even read first post.

tabzer likes this.
  14. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    I seemed to remember that there was just a very small FAT32 partition mounted as "external SD card" and the majority of the space was being used by the data partition which is mounted as "internal SD card" but maybe I'm misremembering.

And that, is as far as I know, not possible. The file size is hard capped because it's stored as a 4-byte unsigned int which only goes up to 2^32=4294967296. No matter how you transfer the files, you can't get around that integer limit. Can't increase it to 8-byte unsigned int (like other filesystems use), because that would break FAT32 and you'd have something that wouldn't be readable on any other platform. Unless DBI automatically splits the files and sets the archive bit so the Switch treats them as a single file, but that would only work in HOS and not in Switchroot Android or Lakka or others AFAIK. So wouldn't be terribly useful here.

15. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    Ok, so it's time to explain to you how FS works in HOS.

Nintendo Switch HOS for any >4GB file (no matter if exfat or FAT32) is using ConcatenationFileAttribute, which automatically splits any file to chunks max 4GB putted to folders with "archive bit" which FS treats as Files.
    DBI when gets info that file will be bigger than 4GB , it's using fs to create new file, use `fsFsSetConcatenationFileAttribute` and then writes to it. So yeah - on FAT32 it's not possible to put one 4GB file. But Nintendo Switch can omit that limits in their own way.

Edit: NVM. If this is not HOS... xD It should be explained in the first post. I have answered it before they stated that it's not about HOS.

Last edited by masagrator, Jan 23, 2021
  16. The Real Jdbye

Norway
    They never really stated it but I had to drag out of them what type of file it was about and since it's a Wii ISO I can only assume he intends to use it in Lakka or Switchroot Android. Can't do much with those in HOS :P

@PixyGixy If you just convert it to WBFS as I mentioned before (using Wii Backup Manager), the WBFS format supports splitting into multiple parts and Wii Backup Manager takes care of that automatically for you if you have it enabled in the settings, so size is not really a problem for Wii games. Dolphin can read the split WBFS files fine. I have yet to come across any cases where larger file sizes than 4GB are required for anything on the Switch. One possible exception being if you really like using the Switch to watch movies and you want to store full 8GB+ movie rips on the Switch but honestly I've not seen a single person asking how to do that yet so it doesn't seem like that's something anyone actually uses their Switch for. Otherwise there are always ways around the 4GB limit.

17. PixyGixy

OP PixyGixy Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    thanks for the info but aaaaaa why dont people get i didnt say the type of file because i didnt want people confused

18. kidkat210

kidkat210 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    By not saying what the file is, made it even more confusing. Think of it from our perspectives. A lvl 1 account asks questions, well alot of new lvl 1 accounts don't know how to properly phrase their problems. For example, in my experience alot of people call installing "transferring". So in my head, I thinking they either mean install something or actually mean transfer. Also, when people were asking questions to help make things easier, you gave some mixed information causing more confusion

19. PixyGixy

OP PixyGixy Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    aight then my bad

20. kidkat210

kidkat210 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No its all good and personally I understand the thought you had. But in the future. The more details you give us, the less confusion there will be and you'll get a quicker solution (saying someone has a solution).

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Transferring, larger, SDcard