Hardware Transferring data from the included SD card to another SD

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't done this yet, but I'm planning to get a larger capacity SD card to hold data for my 3DS. Kinda curious about how you go about this without screwing things up. Does the data have to be transferred directly from the original SD to another SD, or can it be transferred to a PC harddrive first and then copied to the larger SD?

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Hanafuda said:
I haven't done this yet, but I'm planning to get a larger capacity SD card to hold data for my 3DS. Kinda curious about how you go about this without screwing things up. Does the data have to be transferred directly from the original SD to another SD, or can it be transferred to a PC harddrive first and then copied to the larger SD?

as long as you get all the data

i suggest using winrar

right click on the SD card on the My Computer menu and then add to archive

it will then make sure it gets all the hidden files etc

then extract to a nice new SD card and should be fine

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
@ Pong: ???? - why use winrar ?????

@ Hanafuda: Actually I've just done this myself just recently... Changed from the default 2GB card to a 8GB Sandisk
(Note: I've only JUST got a 3DS & so there wasn't much on the SD card anyway - but there were a few pictures I'd taken stored on it)

Here's How I did it..
  • Took out 2Gb card from 3ds
  • Placed into my Card reader - WinXP popped up an autorun box, so I just chose 'Browse files'
  • Explorer window opened & showed just 2 folders - 'DCIM' and 'nintendo' (BTW I have 'show hidden files' option selected & I saw none of those)
  • Presses 'CTRL' & 'A' together to select all/both folders (if there were any hidden files in the folder - I would guess that windows would've informed of the fact)
  • Click-&-dragged them onto my Windows desktop
  • (Safely) removed the 2GB card from the card reader
  • Inserted the 8GB card
  • Formatted this with Panasonic formatter (just to make sure it was completely empty)
  • (Re)opened a explorer window & browsed to the 8GB card
  • Selected & Click-&-Dragged the 2 folders onto the card
    (I also added a few music files to the SDCard at this time as well)

Once again safely removed the 8GB card & put it into the 3DS

I then used the camera & sound programs on 3DS to check that the pictures & music were there - & they were

Now IF you're lucky enough to have 2 SD card readers fitted to your PC (I only have the one) - I would guess you should be able to put each SD card into a slot & be able to copy/paste from one card to the other straight away with no problems

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp