Hardware Transferring CFW from N3DS XL to N2DS XL

Bloodspiller34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I’ve been a GBATemp user for a long time but never made an account. Made one specifically for this because I got the Pikachu limited edition 2ds xl and I wanna transfer everything I have on my 3ds xl with an 128 sd card. Also because I wanna do it in a safe way since I’ve seen there are Dsiware methods around but don’t know how up to date they are.

The 2ds xl is pretty much out of the box and I want to know what the best way to transfer all of my data including cfw from the 3ds to the 2ds is. If you guys could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. The 3ds xl is on cfw version 11.8.Thanks in advance.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can't transfer cfw from one device to another with a system transfer; you can however transfer a paid DSiWare game with a manipulated save from the old to the new device to hack the new one. But this method is not used/needed anymore.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/
Is the answer to "How to hack the N2DSXL?" As all N2DSXL come with a firmware ≥ 11.4 your possibilities are:
  • Update to 11.9 and use the Frogminer path (free, no need for paid DSiWare)
  • Use ntrboot with a compatible flashcart
  • Or if you're good a soldering: hardmod (I do not recommend this)
Once the N2DSXL is hacked, you can transfer everything manually like explained here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-system-transfer-today-whats-the-best-way.518867/
You can use the official transfer app to move all paid content and the NNID from the old to the new device (that's the purpose of this app).

It is tedious, takes "forever" if the 128GB card is near to full and you need free space to dump the games to CIA files. If you have enough free space and/or smaller games like Virtual Console, you can select multiple *.tmd in GodMode9 to dump some games in one shot instead of doing them one-by-one.

Bloodspiller34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I sat down to try and do this but I can't hack my new 2ds xl without having a Nintendo ID and I can't unlink the one I have on the 3ds. Do I just create a new id to get Steel Diver?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The first two step do not require a NNID and are important. Depending on how many hours you spent playing, losing saves can be a pretty bad.

If you care for the existing NNID, there are two ways to get it to the N2DSXL:
  • System Transfer after(!!) backing up all stuff. Once again: Backup first!
  • Call Nintendo and tell them the old 3DS is broken/lost so they unlink your ID.
If you choose the second option: NEVER go online with the old device until you have removed the NNID from it.

To be able to use Frogminer as soon as possible, create a dummy NNID just for downloading “Steel Diver: Sub Wars”. After hacking the N2DSXL, you can use “System Format” or GodMode9 to remove the dummy ID.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)