QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there.

I just bought myself a Wii U and was wondering...
Is there a way to transfer all the hacks (like channels, Virtual Console games even injected ones) without having to install everything from scratch into vWii?

Can someone help me with this?
Or is it a must to start from scratch and hack the vWii like if it were a virgin Wii?
If that's so, what are the risks and is there a problem if I install a modded Wii menu? (Like Dark Red for example)

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to reply!

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still haven't done anything aside from putting the Homebrew Channel on the vWii, but everything you should be careful of is in the stickies. Read through all four of them to know which things you CAN do, and which things you absolutely should not do.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there.
Or is it a must to start from scratch and hack the vWii like if it were a virgin Wii?
If that's so, what are the risks and is there a problem if I install a modded Wii menu? (Like Dark Red for example)

Thanks in advance for anyone that takes the time to reply!

Yes, it is a must to start from scratch. Risks are as follows:
-There's no brick protection (no priiloader, of course no bootmii @ boot2)
-While there aren't any reports of bad things happening, Nintendo could ban for it in the future if they wanted
-A future update could remove it (though they haven't done it yet)
-It voids your warranty
-It's not nearly as idiot proof as regular Wii modding is

Don't install a modded Wii menu. Don't modify any IOS lower than 200. The regular Wii IOSes don't work on vWii. There's no NUSD for vWii either, so you basically have to rely on your own NAND dump for a file you may need. The homebrew channel installer for vWii is very picky and will encounter errors if your IOSes aren't messed up.

DO INSTALL:
-the Homebrew Channel
-cIOSes
-virtual console/wiiware wads (that you know don't have corrupted banners)
-forwarders (that you know don't have corrupted banners)

DONT INSTALL:
-anything else

Brick protection is non existent, lots of things aren't compatible, don't do something you don't need to do.

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-While there aren't any reports of bad things happening, Nintendo could ban for it in the future if they wanted
-It voids your warranty

Don't install a modded Wii menu. Don't modify any IOS lower than 200. The regular Wii IOSes don't work on vWii. There's no NUSD for vWii either, so you basically have to rely on your own NAND dump for a file you may need. The homebrew channel installer for vWii is very picky and will encounter errors if your IOSes aren't messed up.

DO INSTALL:
-the Homebrew Channel
-cIOSes

DONT INSTALL:
-anything else

Brick protection is non existent, lots of things aren't compatible, don't do something you don't need to do.

Just to add, cIOSes need to be the vWii version ONLY. The stickies really are your best friend.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
-It voids your warranty

DO INSTALL:
-the Homebrew Channel
-cIOSes

DONT INSTALL:
-anything else

Thank, but by the time of the reply I already had everything from my original Wii to the vWii menu, including custom VC games, HBC and all my previous apps, plus a newly discovered possibility to play NGC games since I previously was unable to due to DML not being compatible with my HDD.

Here, take a look;
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...ulti-disc-memcard-emulation-wii-wii-u.359761/

Thanks for explaining though!

Pepois

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thank, but by the time of the reply I already had everything from my original Wii to the vWii menu, including custom VC games, HBC and all my previous apps, plus a newly discovered possibility to play NGC games since I previously was unable to due to DML not being compatible with my HDD.

Here, take a look;
http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial...ulti-disc-memcard-emulation-wii-wii-u.359761/

Thanks for explaining though!

Hi could you please describe what did you wads (channels, forwarders, VC games etc) did you install on the vWii? I got lots of them installed in my Wii and would love to have them in my vWii.

Best regards!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi could you please describe what did you wads (channels, forwarders, VC games etc) did you install on the vWii? I got lots of them installed in my Wii and would love to have them in my vWii.

Best regards!

You mean what Wads I reinstalled on vWii?
Mostly VC games like Sonic 4 and N64, I don't use forwarders because I don't find them that helpful.
Don't worry about installing VC or Wiiware at alll, just be careful to not install anything out of those like cIOS or MIOS and such, just the ones recommended in the official vWii hack tutorial in this site.
I think the Forwarders might be brick free too, just be sure to install the proper region wad!

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Best regards!

Mostly VC games like Sonic 4 and N64, I don't use forwarders because I don't find them that helpful.
Don't worry about installing VC or Wiiware at alll, just be careful to not install anything out of those like cIOS or MIOS and such, just the ones recommended in the official vWii hack tutorial in this site.
I think the Forwarders might be brick free too, just be sure to install the proper region wad!

Pepois

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Thank you for the quick reply.. Sounds very promising. Thank you for the tips... is there a way to check the region of the wad?? with like a wad editor or something? I believe most of my wads are NTCS but I believe I have a coiple of PAL. Thank you

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you for the quick reply.. Sounds very promising. Thank you for the tips... is there a way to check the region of the wad?? with like a wad editor or something? I believe most of my wads are NTCS but I believe I have a coiple of PAL. Thank you

Just to be sure, you might want to try Free the Wads or something like that to avoid any region issues.
But if you want to just check the region of the wad, try ShowMIiWads, which is a PC app to verify any Wii Wads, check it out:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/ShowMiiWads

You can also try WadID, but I don't have the link for that one.

Hope that information helps!

Just a little into the topic, I was having a region problem with the Majora's Mask wad, all the ones I got were PAL even if they were labeled as NTSC.
I just didn't bother to try to patch it with FreeTheWads and downloaded the rom. XD
(No piracy, I have the original Collector's Edition but can't boot it with Devolution in vWii yet)

Reactions: Pepois

Pepois

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just to be sure, you might want to try Free the Wads or something like that to avoid any region issues.
But if you want to just check the region of the wad, try ShowMIiWads, which is a PC app to verify any Wii Wads, check it out:
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/ShowMiiWads

You can also try WadID, but I don't have the link for that one.

Hope that information helps!

Just a little into the topic, I was having a region problem with the Majora's Mask wad, all the ones I got were PAL even if they were labeled as NTSC.
I just didn't bother to try to patch it with FreeTheWads and downloaded the rom. XD
(No piracy, I have the original Collector's Edition but can't boot it with Devolution in vWii yet)

Thank you for all the info. So far I was able to install the wads that I own to the vWii and all of them work but when moving them to the SD Card.... somoe dont work. Any ideas? Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Taking more time to load the page than to fire up the paper towel is an issue
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's worse is the dinosaur game popping up when the lotion comes out
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You use paper towels too? :rofl2:
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Better keep the safe place 'safe'
    Bounty. The quicker picker upper? lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Aloe vera now with rgb
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Females have burnt me worse