Hardware Transfering the guts of a 2.0.0-2 3DS into a 9.4 one

VuuI

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have an two Black cosmo first generation 3DS one on fw 2.0.0-2E the other on 9.4.0 21E.

The older one's shell is a bit busted and the top screen has ceased to work.
Can i gut the older 3DS and put its parts into the newer one? Are there any guides covering how to do this?

I would like to use a Gateway 3DS card on my 3DS but the flashcard is locked out of 9.4

EDIT:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+3DS+Motherboard+Replacement/6017

would this work?

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's definitely the way to go in my opinion. Sure, you could buy all new housing, but not only is a full housing swap and top screen replacement much more difficult than simply swapping motherboards, the third-party housing sets sold on eBay and other sites are not identical in appearance to official Nintendo housing. They may look similar to the official housing in online photos, but you can tell the difference easily in person.

Swapping motherboards is pretty quick and there's relatively little risk of damaging anything as long as you're careful with the ZIF connectors. In contrast, if you've never done a full housing replacement on DS or 3DS systems before, it's very, very easy to accidentally break something on your first attempt, especially when routing the ribbon cables through the hinge area. So in my opinion it's something to avoid unless it's absolutely necessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.