Transfering files from laptop to DSi via WiFi

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Yanze, Dec 25, 2011.

Dec 25, 2011
  1. Yanze
    OP

Newcomer Yanze Member

Netherlands
    Is there a utility which can transfer files from my laptop to my DSi (it has an Acekard 2i inside).
    Currently when I have a new game I must remove the SD card, stick it in a USB holder, stick that in my laptop, copy the game, remove the USB holder, remove the SD card en stick that in the DSi.
    That's a long compicated way to transfer a file and since the DSi has WiFi that should go much easier ... right? Is there a homebrew utility / file manager which supports this? Any help appreciated!

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The DS's wifi speed is so slow that it'd be a lot faster to do the MicroSD thing even if your DS, computer, and MicroSD were a city block away from each other.

It's really, really slow compared to SD transfer speed.

3. LeRodeur

Member LeRodeur GBAtemp Regular

France
    That's true, if you could have used search page it would have been nice there is lot of threads with the same question..
    To answer it yes it is possible because there is some ftp clients though its useless

4. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    I have one USB>MSD adapter and my brother has an Acekard too. Don't think it would matter if it takes a while. It'd still be nice to be able to do this.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I'm talking hours.

6. zachtheninja

Member zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

United States
    Yes, but some people (my little brother) who don't have their own PC would like to be able to transfer files from a family PC without turning on the moniter. DS Organize had a feature called HBdatabase that let you set up a FTP server and download things remotely...

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    DSFTP is kinda the opposite of what you want. It turns the DS into an FTP server, then you use a client on your computer to transfer files back and forth. Lilou Combox might have the opposite feature but don't quote me on that.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    That's...not the opposite, that IS what he wants...unless I've misunderstood, he needs something to transfer files over to his flashcart from his laptop? Via Wifi?

An FTP server would work and that is currently what I must do (no SD card slot or USB device...ATM anyways). Rydian is right, it is SO SLOW it's not even funny. You get a max of around 25kb/s, so transferring say Pokemon Diamomd would take approximately 45 minutes to do. Want Soul Silver/Heart Gold? Double that time. So it's either deal with the not even a big deal method of using the USB device or wait a hour and a half to play a good sized game.

9. zachtheninja

Member zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

United States
    The Practicality of it depends on what he wants to transfer.
    The Ds can transfer a small mp3, ebook, or HB game in 0.30-1 minutes.

10. Yanze
    OP

Newcomer Yanze Member

Netherlands
    Yes, transfering files IS indeed what I want to do, so technically speaking DSFTP would do the job I guess.
    But considering the horrible WiFi speeds you describe I have a feeling that I'll stick to do the MicroSD-swap-thing.

11. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Oh, I didn't realize that zach wasn't the original poster. I was responding to the idea of setting up a fileserver on the computer so you could turn on your DS, connect to the server, download a game to play, and then play it. DSFTP would be the opposite of THAT.

EDIT: I used to do something similar to that, actually. I used a program called HTTPExec which was pointed at a "download.nds" file on my Googlepages account. Whenever I was feeling lazy, I'd rename whatever I wanted to transfer to "download.nds" and upload that to my site, then launch HTTPExec on the DS to transfer it over. Worked for small homebrew files at least.