Transfering Animal Crossing NL save without homebrew on one end?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by goldenroy, Dec 24, 2016.

1. goldenroy
    OP

goldenroy Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 9, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Hey, I've read a great deal on this topic and I'm pretty sure it's not possible the way I want it, but maybe I'm overlooking something, so let me tell you the situation:

As far as I understand it, 3DS game saves for digital download are saved on the sd card as '00000001.sav'. This is an encrypted save, and - in the case for AC:NL - can be decrypted using various homebrew tools such as svdt, JKSM or the save_manager. They yield you a few files, most notably the gardenplus.dat (or garden.dat on older versions) file, which holds the town data. AC:NL has an interesting property, though. It seems that in this very gardenplus.dat, it has some check bits to verify the save is the newest one or for other anti-cheat-measures. If the check bits don't match the console's unique one, it rejects the save.

So far so good, what am I trying to do? I have an old o3DS that I played Animal Crossing a great deal with. It's the ACNL version, so the game is featured as a digital download. I have no hopes of easily installing homebrew on this o3DS, because it's 11.2 and I don't want to do any messy 11.0+ stuff since the o3DS is still in use by my sister. Two days ago, my new n3DS came and I installed CFW. Now, how would I go about taking that old save and injecting it on the n3DS? I have full access to the 00000001.sav of the old town, of course, and I can get the check bits of the new 3DS by making a dummy town on the n3DS, decrypting the save and checking the gardenplus.dat with HxD. But every time I try to simply swap out the 00000001.sav with the old one, every possible option tells me the save is corrupt and can't be extracted or whatever.

Is all hope lost? My ultimate goal is just to get the gardenplus.dat for my old town, change the check bits to the new ones and inject it back into the console.

2. GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2009
    use your hacked n3ds to setup a secondary homebrew entrypoint like oot3dhax, use that to run svdt and extract the saves, then inject on your n3ds

3. Sketchy1

Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

Aug 9, 2016
    United States
    Just swapping them out still detects it as corrupted because it needs the decryption keys from the source console. as stated above, use a secondary entry then dump, or system transfer to the new console for a legit save transfer. Your little sis prolly gonna be pissed if you do the second tho XD