Hacking Transfer Wii U USB Helper downloads outside the app

tolkenda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does Wii U USB Helper's 'Copy to SD' function do anything to the files it's downloaded other than copy them? If I copy the downloaded files in the DATA folder to an SD card manually will WU Installer still work? Or do I need to unpack first?

Alternatively, I've noticed I can tell Wii U USB Helper that I can't see my SD card, and it'll let me choose a different folder. Can I use the 'Copy to SD' function to copy files to that folder, then manually transfer those files to my actual SD card?

I'm running Wii U USB Helper on a Mac using a Windows 10 VirtualBox. Getting virtual machines to see the Mac's SD card reader as an SD card rather than a USB drive can be a problem. The VM also has limited hard drive space. Ideally I'd move the downloads out of the VM on to a shared folder on my Mac, and from there to the SD card.

Thanks!

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you use a multi-title version of wupinstaller (Y-mod or GX), the correct path relative to the root of the SD is: /install/{arbitrary app name, with no accents or other fancy characters}/(*.app, *.h3, title.tmd, title.tik, ...)

The output of PC-based downloaders (can't speak for that one, but sure for uTikDownloadHelper and FunkiiU) already consists of those files

dojafoja

life elevated
Trophies
XP
Country
Using the 'copy to SD' feature removes all unsafe characters from the folder names as well. It also 'verifies' the download. FunKiiU has always done this by default and runs natively on your Mac OS. If you prefer a gui, check out FunKii-UI which is basically a gui that I wrote for FunKiiU.

Reactions: tolkenda

tolkenda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the heads up about FunKiiU. Googling for stuff like 'Wii USB Helper alternatives mac' pretty much just gave me VM / Android emulation tutorials. Having a look now.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need any tutorials. Just get your game and then move it to a folder in the install directory on your SD. Done. I never use the transfer option. Just manually copy the files. I usually rename the folder to something like "Mario game" then I rename the update folder to "Mario update" etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/T0X6JND.jpg