Hacking Transfer Wii game saves to WiiU versions

raptor5001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I have save files on my old Wii for Just Dance 4,14,15,16 and I want to import them into those respective games on the wiiu (digital, if it matters). I am starting with the assumption that the save file formats for the Wii and WiiU versions of the game are the same.

My first attempt only resulted in corrupted save errors, though I didn't expect it to work anyway tbh, mostly because there are several files I am just ignoring.

What I tried:
1. Use SaveGameManagerGX on Wii to backup the save for Just Dance whatever. This results in the following directory structure and files:
oP8b4uU.png

2. Use saviine on WiiU to backup newly created saves from JD games. Directories/files:
dk8jDud.png

3. Copy over common files from Wii save folder to WiiU save folder.
  • JD4: slt_0_0.sav, index.dat
  • JD14,15,16: JDSave_0
4. Use saviine on WiiU to restore modified backups.

5. Get corruption errors.

I am thinking the other files (ps.bin, baner.bin, ec.cfg, ukps.cfg, and dummy_ec.cfg) might have some significance?
Or is there some difference in the save file formats?
Or... is it just JD not wanting to accept a save that originated from a Wii?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They're simply transferred to the vWii NAND. So if you put your files there, it should work with either the vWii Disc Channel/USB loader or the eShop version on the Wii U Menu.
No you have misread the first post he is trying to convert the wii game save into one that works with the wiiu version of the game

raptor5001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am on an unexpected trip out-of-state so I will try to look into it some later tonight. One thing I have noticed by glancing with a hex editor is that the WiiU saves have a 5-byte null offset at the beginning of the save file. We'll see if correcting for that (and extending the null padding at the end of the Wii save to match the WiiU) works.

raptor5001

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it seems it may be an incompatibility between the save format of both versions. The JD4 saves seem to be aligned at the beginning but are different lengths. 2014 and above have a 5-byte null pad at the very beginning of the WiiU save format, then a magic (JD5, JustDance2014, etc). They are also different lengths; the Wii filesize is slightly larger (before adding the 5 byte pad: 65.7k vs WiiU's 65.5k).

There might be a chance it's something else, but I don't know enough about Wii and WiiU save file formats. Google only turns up things for WiiU data.bin format, not /vol/sav

I've attached the wii save files of mine, along with freshly-created WiiU save files for anyone that wants to take a look.

Attachments

• saves.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 252
Last edited by raptor5001,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is the idea to make for example, twilight princess on wii work with twilight princess HD on wii u, or make a game like Super paper mario on wii work with super paper mario work with wiiu eshop download?

Eshop VC wii games load the save data stored on vwii, i know cause i did with xenoblade chronicles. :P

But converting a wii twilight princess to wii u twilight princess HD is probably simple, how much different is the data, besides it being more encrypted?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So is the idea to make for example, twilight princess on wii work with twilight princess HD on wii u, or make a game like Super paper mario on wii work with super paper mario work with wiiu eshop download?

Eshop VC wii games load the save data stored on vwii, i know cause i did with xenoblade chronicles. :P

But converting a wii twilight princess to wii u twilight princess HD is probably simple, how much different is the data, besides it being more encrypted?
From what I understand is that the op has just dance wii version and just dance wiiu version and he wants to convert the wii save to work on the WiiU version.

TheKitof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you want to compare saves, create an empty save in wii format, in order to compare 2 empty saves and have more clues about the structure of the save. After that, we could save only one song (the same in both versions), to confirm that format are identical.

Last edited by TheKitof,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too ♫ :rofl2:
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too ♫ :rofl2: