Hardware Transfer Wii content to Wii U - Interesting!

ghorricks

OP
Trophies
Website
en.wikipedia.org
XP
Country
United States
I am sorry if posting external links is not allowed, but here is some interesting news: http://gimmegimmegam...etween-systems/ . it looks like the transfer method is similar to the DSi and 3DS transfer where both old and new consoles are required. Now because the Wii was hacked quite badly - it would be possible to accept that any FREELY obtained VC channels could be transferred over to the Wii U. And from here, it may even be possible for the clever clever folk who are involved in "the scene" to figure out a way to allow the Wii U to play backups of Wii games or homebrew. No doubt the Wii U security will be beefed up significantly like the 3DS, but if they use this transfer method, there will obviously be opportunities from the get go. Thanks.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The DSi to 3DS method worked by transferring the download licenses for the software and then downloading everything on the target 3DS. If the Wii and Wii U transfer is done the same way, it'll check with the Nintendo servers to see what games you own, transfer the licenses and redownload those, so no free games. Besides, Ninty wouldn't be that stupid.

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
this is what i think

there may be an update to the Wii around the time the WiiU comes out( so the wii the "talk" to the wiiU)
that WILL BE NEEDED for the transferring to work, and you may also need to get the transfer app off the Wii Shop Channel

run the transfer app on the wii
on the wiiU there may be be an transfer option in the setting menu (like, Receive from wi)
both system connect to the Nintendo Servers
the the wii sends the channels(note: there may be some that will NOT transfer) to the wiiU

like how 3ds-3ds/3sdXL and dsi-3ds work

The_Hulkster

Trophies
XP
Country
this is what i think

there may be an update to the Wii around the time the WiiU comes out( so the wii the "talk" to the wiiU)
that WILL BE NEEDED for the transferring to work, and you may also need to get the transfer app off the Wii Shop Channel

on the wiiU there may be be an transfer option in the setting menu (like, Receive from wi)
the the wii sends the channels(note: there may be some that will NOT transfer) to the wiiU

Yeah. No.
I don't think that will be the case.

You expect people to have 2 home consoles turned on? Perhaps even including 2 screens?
That would take too much effort on the consumer's part and wouldn't be user friendly.

You will probably just enter your login on the WiiU, which will then check with the server which games you have purchased. Like iTunes or any app store.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said on another thread, and as other people have said here, you 100% won't be able to transfer things you didn't actually buy because there won't be a record at the server that you bought it.

Now, there is a possibility that smash stack might still work in Wii mode, but probably only to run things, not install anything. Depends how Wii mode is set up.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
this is what i think

Yeah. No.

You expect people to have 2 home consoles turned on? Perhaps even including 2 screens?
That would take too much effort on the consumer's part and wouldn't be user friendly.

You will probably just enter your login on the WiiU, which will then check with the server which games you have purchased. Like iTunes or any app store.

It's not really that difficult, you could have one console plugged in with HDMI (the Wii U) and then the other with an AUX (the Wii).
People usually have more than one plug socket around their tv.
But I do think it will differ from the 3DS transfer.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo has said you'll need both consoles on and connected to the internet, so the easiest way would indeed be like Boombox said. Unless you have a really old TV, this isn't hard at all and I'm sure a bunch of people were doing this anyways (I am at least). Now, is this akward? Yes. It would be a lot better if it was like Google Play where you just log in on the new device and you get everything. But such is life.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
this is what i think

Yeah. No.

It's not really that difficult, you could have one console plugged in with HDMI (the Wii U) and then the other with an AUX (the Wii).
Another way: Wii connected to the TV, and using the WiiU pad for the WiiU?

Reactions: 4 people

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
this is what i think

Yeah. No.

Another way: Wii connected to the TV, and using the WiiU pad for the WiiU?
The Wii U pad to see the Wii U screen? Good point! haha

Reactions: 1 person

ozl

Wii4everybody
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
wii4everybody.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I wish they would just have given us a good Nintendo Account for all wii owners, i know we have Club Nintendo user names and password, but i remember with my first wii not all games purchased on the Wii Shop gave you coins, now, my first wii console died and i bought lots of games there on the shop, then i bought a new wii console but i didnt re buy them and i was never able to transfer my previously purchased games to the new wii console even after using the same Club Nintendo user. I wish Nintendo could provide a way to download those Purchased games that are shown on my Club Nintendo account at least, i think i have my old wii console friend code but if you know of a way to get my old games back to the current Wii please let me know.

Good day people!

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wish Nintendo could provide a way to download those Purchased games that are shown on my Club Nintendo account at least, i think i have my old wii console friend code but if you know of a way to get my old games back to the current Wii please let me know.
Just ring them, tell them the story and ownership can be transferred to the new wii so you can redownload them.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
It's probably just based on the tickets installed on the system. The ticket, which stays installed on the system even if you delete the channel, is what allows you to turn around and re-download a previously installed VC/WW title from the shop channel.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could care less if I could transfer pirated VC games. I just want to transfer my original Wii saves.

Why? :

1) Saves are MUCH more important for homebrew/piracy since they provide exploits (since teams like Team Twiizers know a LOT about Wii mode coding, encryptions, ect... it would make Wii mode easier for them to hack)

2) I want my original saves. Unfortunately, whatever Nintendo decides with Wii saves on WiiU, they'll need to shoot themselves in the foot to do it because :
a) If they didn't allow transferring Wii saves, that'd be bad for their fanbase since WiiU is backwards compatible with Wii and if you wanted to play a Wii game on WiiU you'd have to restart. (which would surely anger users)
b) If they allow transferring Wii saves and they made it necessary to have both Wii and WiiU on for the transfer, it'd be very inconvenient for users. (would probably anger most users)
c) If they simply allowed copying Wii saves to the SD and transferring them to the WiiU (ie the consoles don't have to be on at the same time, you'd just need a save on an SD card) they would be begging to get hacked.

ghorricks

OP
Trophies
Website
en.wikipedia.org
XP
Country
United States
There is a mention somewhere of requiring an SD card... so this could be the save game portion of the transfer.
Personally I am not too bothered about the piracy of games, but instead the diabolical way in which Nintendo has treated me in the past few years.
I bought a 3DS on launch, became an ambassador with free games... downloaded some others... then got a Vita and traded the 3DS as it really wasn't for me (too small)... then when the 3DS XL came out, I thought that they may be able to tie everything together via my credit card purchases or Club Nintendo account... nope.

So I was well out of pocket and will never purchase anything downloadable ever again - I would rather get them FREE if you know what I mean... (music etc).

Bruce Willis and iTunes is a good google search, seems like his account and all his purchases are not a record collection and Apple wont allow him to give them legally to his daughter/family when he dies. DRM sticks, and Nintendo have really screwed people over by not getting their act together in the past 6 years.
Karma... Piracy of their consoles in return for screwing customers over after they purchase 100's or 1000's of GBP,USD,EUR of downloads and no way to actually own them or sell them on or get them back later down the road. Also, I have 100s of SNES carts in my attic... really gets to me at times.

I need to stop using "..." all the time. Peace my fellow GBAtempers

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You bought them to play on one system only. No promises were made that you would be entitled to play them on future systems, so you weren't "screwed over" at all - you got exactly what you paid for.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
this is what i think

Lol, you are so wrong.
It will be account based.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol