Homebrew Transfer WarioWare: Touched! game cart save data to DSiWare version?

TJF588

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the latest Luma3DS allowing any HBL injection to access NDS carts' data, I come back to wanting my North American WarioWare: Touched! save data transferred to my DSiWare copy (that My Nintendo reward). Read another post here saying there are differences between the versions, format aside, so how would I go about this transfer, and making sure it's fully compatible? gotta have my Mona Piz~za~.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope this works, 'cause I haven't tried it.
  1. Open GodMode9 or FBI, then copy the public.sav file to your SD card. It is located at "twlnand:/title/00030004/5a324154/data".
  2. Take out the SD card, then put it in your PC.
  3. Download WinImage.
  4. Download HxD.
  5. Trim your retail save file to 8KB, if not at that size already.
    Do that, by going to hex offset 2000, then delete everything starting at that offset.
  6. Save the file as "backup.dat".
  7. Open the public.sav file with WinImage.
  8. Move your save file, saved as "backup.dat", into the program's window, overwriting the existing file.
  9. Click the save button, then exit WinImage.
  10. Take out the SD card, then put it in your 3DS.
  11. Open GodMode9 or FBI, then copy the public.sav file on your SD card, to "twlnand:/title/00030004/5a324154/data".
  12. Start WarioWare Touched, and your save will be used!

DandelionSprout

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I got this guide to work in FBI and with the European game versions, though with some changes to the procedure:

1) Open FBI, then go to TWL Nand → (accept the warning) → title → 00030004 → 5a324154 (if using the NA version; 5a324150 for the European version) → data, and copy the public.sav file to somewhere on your SD card.
2) Take out the SD card, then put it in your PC.
3) Download WinImage.
4) Rename the retail savefile (presuming that you've already backed it up with e.g. Checkpoint and have copied it to an easily accessible place) to "backup.dat"
5) Open the 16KB public.sav file with WinImage. It should turn out to have a file called backup.dat inside it that is 8KB big.
6) While that public.sav WinImage window is open, inject the retail "backup.dat" into it and choose to overwrite the existing DSiWare backup.dat file, then save the public.sav file.
7) Take out the SD card, then put it in your 3DS.
8) Copy the resulting public.sav file from the SD card, then go back to the folder path from #1, and paste it into the "data" folder.
9) Start WarioWare Touched, and your save will be used!

The biggest change from Robz8's guide, is that it turned out that the retail savefile is already 8KB, making steps 3-5 and the downloading of HxD superfluous.

Last edited by DandelionSprout,
Reactions: THYPLEX and TJF588

TJF588

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I suppose that working your guide in reverse would allow me to transfer DSiWare progress back onto my cartridge/rip? I'd like to keep my progress between the two consistent (though DSiMenu++ doesn't seem to allow microphone input, so it may be solely between DsiWare and cart for the time being).

EDIT: Huh, yeah, the layout of the Toy Room is different, with no space for "Mona Pizza", but also some gaps I didn't have on retail. What's eve more odd is I had every microgame played on retail, but after the transfer, sudden;y Dr. Crygor's boss game is ?'d, even though everything else is available. Nintendo, you oddballs.

Last edited by TJF588,

DandelionSprout

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Looking it up, Super Mario Wiki explains the part about Mona Pizza as this:

"As the Nintendo 3DS no longer includes the GBA cartridge slot, the Mona Pizza souvenir cannot be unlocked when played on the 3DS or on the My Nintendo-exclusive digital download version of WarioWare: Touched!."

A slight bit odd that they removed the technical support for it as well. I can also confirm that Dr. Crygor's boss is ?'d on my end too, but thankfully not permanently so, as playing through Dr. Crygor's level again re-unlocks it.

It's of course unfortunate that this makes you unable to enjoy Mona Pizza on the DSiWare version, or to be able to share the savefile back and forth casually, but I'm happy to hear that you too got this guide to work, after all this time since the thread started. ^_^ In fact I made an account here on GBAtemp just to confirm that I had got it to (largely) work.

Last edited by DandelionSprout,
Reactions: TJF588

DandelionSprout

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Okay, so after having played the game a bit more to rack up some high scores and unlockable toys (Apparently I didn't play Touched all that much when I first bought it in 2014), and then thinking of how to do it the other way around, here's how to do it in reverse.

Presuming the use of FBI, Checkpoint, and of using Windows on your PC:

1) Open FBI, then go to TWL Nand → (accept the warning) → title → 00030004 → 5a324154 (if using the NA version; 5a324150 for the European version) → data, and copy the public.sav file to somewhere on your SD card.
2) Take out the SD card, then put it in your PC.
3) Go to [SD card]\3ds\Checkpoint\saves\AZWP WARIOTOUCHED, and make a new folder there. Do not use an existing one. (If the WARIOTOUCHED folder has a different four-letter code for its NA version, make the new folder there instead.)
4) Open the DSiWare public.sav file in WinImage
5) Choose to extract the backup.dat file that is inside it, to the folder that you made during step #3.
6) Rename the extracted file to WARIOTOUCHED.sav
7) Take out the SD card, then put it in your 3DS.
8) Turn on the 3DS, and open Checkpoint.
9) Ensure that WarioWare Touched is inserted in your 3DS's gamecart slot.
10) Go to the upper left entry (WARIOTOUCHED), and choose to restore from the folder that you made and named in step #3.
11) Start the retail version of WarioWare Touched, and the save will be used.

Visible side-effects on my end:
• Pyoro T, which I owned on the DSiWare version, had been removed, only for Orbulon's spaceship to drop it again upon entering the main menu. The high score for that game had been reset to 3000.
• Some of the other toys were marked as "NEW", which they weren't on DSiWare. Examples include Wario Paint, Piano, and Clacker.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"As the Nintendo 3DS no longer includes the GBA cartridge slot, the Mona Pizza souvenir cannot be unlocked when played on the 3DS or on the My Nintendo-exclusive digital download version of WarioWare: Touched!."

A slight bit odd that they removed the technical support for it as well.
Not at all. In fact, it makes perfect sense to trim it to save space, along with the debug menu; those voice samples don't come cheap. What's weirder is the slight save file incompatibility - it should be the same game with some trimming and tweaked data access and touch screen code to account for being DSiWare.

Last edited by N7Kopper,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans