Hardware Transfer to new memory card (not sd2vta)

djleviticus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone

If I wanted to put a bigger sony memory card into my Phat Vita, is there there a way to do this without messing up my hack (Enso 3.60)? I dont want to use sd2vita

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone

If I wanted to put a bigger sony memory card into my Phat Vita, is there there a way to do this without messing up my hack (Enso 3.60)? I dont want to use sd2vita

First copy anything you want from your existing card to your PC using vitashell or QCMA.

If you are on 3.60, I think the easiest way is to put in your new memory card, re-run Henkaku to get the new card setup and molecular shell installed. Then install Enso and Vitashell and you are on your way. You can copy anything you want on the new card back from your pc. You don’t have to do this as you can always swap between cards.

If you have a 2000 model, I suggest installing Enso and vitashell on the builtin memory. This way you can always boot into CFW even if you have an issue with your memory card.

Reactions: djleviticus

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, the best thing to do is probably a direct usb connection through vita shell, then copy everything over to your pc. insert the new card (make sure the system is off when you do this), then copy everything back. you can try qcma for content and saves, but it's pretty slow by comparison, and a lot of people have issues with usb and wifi (losing connections or not making any connection).

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might as well go with a 64GB if you want to use an official memory card. that's the biggest they make. it was only sold in Japan, but you can easily find them on like ebay or maybe amazon. they're expensive though at around $100 compared with a micro sd card of larger capacity.

djleviticus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone for your help :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

How reliable is the SD2VITA compared to the standard memory card, and what happens if the SD2VITA card fails?

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
The short answer is it should be about as reliable as the SD card you use. If something happens with the SD2Vita the typical configuration will fall back to your Sony memory card if you have one installed or internal memory on a 2000. You can backup the contents of the SD card to your computer either directly or through the Vita.

Sony memory cards are from what I understand just standard (relatively slow) flash memory in a proprietary format. A SD card from a reputable manufacturer should be as reliable as a Sony memory card and likely significantly faster if it’s a class 10 or better (transferring via the Vita will be the bottleneck in any case). SD cards are easier to work with since you can read/write them directly from your computer.

The adapters are simple, but I don’t think anyone making them has the best quality control. If you get a working one, there’s not a lot to go wrong with normal use. They are better quality then the memory duo adapters used in the PSP. You can always replace the adapter if it fails.

Backup anything you care about in your as card periodically (same for a Sony card). If you have a Sony memory card then just leave Enso and Vitashell installed on that. You can also install them to internal memory. That way if there is a problem with the SD adapter you will still boot into cfw with a file manager.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi guys. I'm going to upgrade my Sony card from 4 to 8 GB, is it just a matter to copy everything over? I won't touch my sd2vita.
Thanks, my friends.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I'm going to upgrade my Sony card from 4 to 8 GB, is it just a matter to copy everything over? I won't touch my sd2vita.
Thanks, my friends.

You need a way to copy the data off the 4GB to 8GB, Probably need SD2Vita if you don't have a 2000 model if you have less than 1GB of data.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You need a way to copy the data off the 4GB to 8GB, Probably need SD2Vita if you don't have a 2000 model if you have less than 1GB of data.
I have a 1000. So, what you are saying is that I need a direct transfer between each card?
No copy things to pc, remove old card, insert new card in Vita, copy things from pc to new card in Vita? If so, that's a hassle, indeed.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1000. So, what you are saying is that I need a direct transfer between each card?
No copy things to pc, remove old card, insert new card in Vita, copy things from pc to new card in Vita? If so, that's a hassle, indeed.

Since you 1000 model, you need a way to access the Sony memory card as uma0, while using the SD2Vita as ux0. You could copy the data off the 4GB but you need to setup CFW first before you can access the 8GB card.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Since you 1000 model, you need a way to access the Sony memory card as uma0, while using the SD2Vita as ux0. You could copy the data off the 4GB but you need to setup CFW first before you can access the 8GB card.
I do have cfw. How does that simplify the process? I know that at one point, I had to force format the card after dabbling with the system.
Care to post a how to for dumb people like me?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have cfw. How does that simplify the process? I know that at one point, I had to force format the card after dabbling with the system.
Care to post a how to for dumb people like me?

How come no SD2Vita?, you can copy the ux0 data off to the SD2Vita then copy that to the 8GB.

eyeliner

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How come no SD2Vita?, you can copy the ux0 data off to the SD2Vita then copy that to the 8GB.
Oh. I thought it was more convoluted than that. I haven't really done much research on Vita cfw, so was under the impression that it was residing somewhere on the Sony card.

So I can just transfer things between cards and be done with it?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh. I thought it was more convoluted than that. I haven't really done much research on Vita cfw, so was under the impression that it was residing somewhere on the Sony card.

So I can just transfer things between cards and be done with it?

Yea if you copy the data off to SD2Vita and then copy it off to the 8GB.

Reactions: eyeliner

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho