Homebrew Transfer saves? (VC GB to Injected VC GBC)

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, all.

So, way back in probably 2015 or so, when the Remake launched and I had just finished it, I downloaded Metroid II - Samus Returns VC on my 3DS, mostly for sheer curiosity's sake at the time.

Randomly picked it back up and started playing it sometime within the last year, and surprisingly, actually started getting a little into it - despite the dull, monochrome monotony of its presentation. But eventually got distracted with something else.

Well, finally jailbroke my 3DS for the first time ever this month, and the wonderful and limitless possibilities of the world of emulation and mods now lay bare to me, and I stumbled upon a colorized, "DX" version of Samus Returns for GBC, which I promptly injected via the appropriate Forwarder.

Oh, man. The color adds so much to this game. There's no way I can go back to Nintendo's monochrome/puke green VC offering now. Problem is, I'd rather not start all over again if I can help it.

That's perhaps where you could come in, if you could be so knowledgeable and kind.

Is there any possible way I can transfer my save file from the regular GB Metroid II VC to the new GBC color mod??

And why hasn't anyone given Donkey Kong '94 the same treatment? I played that thing on the Super Gameboy as a kid. It's a total drag playing it in black & white! But I digress, sorry.

I'd appreciate any help you guys could lend. Thanks.

Reactions: smallissue

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afaik, GB/GBC VC saves are managed using either Checkpoint or JKSM.

But dunno if it could be some problem/incompatibility with inject a non-patched game save on a patched same game (and viceversa). Just try by yourself (it doesn't hurt, I believe).

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I never knew what that Checkpoint thing was for before (complete n00b to all this). There was a cheat feature for RE Mercenaries. Tried turning them on, but it didn't work. Anyway.

I tried it, and, well, I think I'm SOL on this whole enterprise. I successfully backed the save, of course. But the saves are married to their particular ROM, and there's no way to move them. And why would there be? This is a very particular, esoteric instance where someone would even want to do something like this. I think you're right on the compatibility. The mod likely heavily alters the code and IDs and whatnot, and it technically being a Gameboy Color game further compounds a compatibility disparity. Even though they're the same game, code-wise, they're very different.

I was initially thinking that maybe I could go into the SD card on the PC somehow, and manipulate a couple lines of code to marry the save to the modded ROM. But in reality, that would probably require some very extensive computer voodoo to pull off, if it's even possible at all.

I'll just bite the bullet and replay it from scratch. But I appreciate the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended