Hacking Transfer Savegames from Gateway 3DS to Sky3ds+. Is it possible?

tigercop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi guys,

I am currently owning an Old 3DS XL fw4.5 with Gateway 3ds. Now I do have a New 3DS on 9.8 fw and own a Sky3ds+ card. Is there a way to export my savegames (f.ex. Fire Emblem - Awakening) to the Sky3ds+??? (the new PLUS version of the Sky3ds card, no diskwriter needed now for 3ds Roms)

The savegames on my gateway 3ds are stored on the SD Card as "TitleID.sav" (f.ex. 000400000009F100.sav for Fire Emblem).

However the Sky3ds+ now just stores the savegame file as "Fire Emblem - Awakening.sav" (as my rom-name is Fire Emblem - Awakening.3ds) on the micro-SD Card of the Sky3ds+ Cardmodule.

Just changing the 000400000009F100.sav to Fire Emblem - Awakening.sav and copy it to the micro-SD Card of Sky3ds+ doens't work.

I can't find any helpful guide. I do have BigBlueBox and SaveDataFiler installed on the Emunand of my Old 3DS XL. So is there a way to actual transfer my savegame?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Last edited by tigercop,

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess you still have Gateway red cart. If your N3DS is still new (ie. not much data stored), update it to 10.3 then (you have to do one of the following):

1) Downgrade it to 9.2 using safesysUpdater (says to be safe but not tested by me and could still be risky if you don't have sysNAND backup made of it (most possibly you don't have it)).
2) Wait until GW releases their sysNAND 10.3 support (they announced it recently, and it may allow for creating sysNAND backup and might also have safer downgrade as well) better stay at 10.3 and use Sky3DS+ till then.

Once you able to perform step 1 you can have Gateway emuNAND upto latest 10.3 support + cheats on N3DS which is far better than Sky3DS. Also you can simply copy GW saves from O3DS to N3DS and should work.
PS. If emuNAND on O3DS is below 7.x then you need to use "GW 7.x -" from GW menu in N3DS home screen. So the saves will still going to work (haven't tested though). If O3DS emuNAND is 7.x or above then nothing to worry.

EDIT: You can use SaveDataFiler on O3DS when loaded a GW rom to extract save, then use SaveDataFiler to transfer save to Sky3DS rom. (Like DaBlackDeath explained above). All of this has to be done on O3DS.

Last edited by Just3DS,

tigercop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey thank you for the answers :).

I just tried the method with savedatafiler. I loaded the Fire Emblem - Awakening rom with gateway and then extracted the save to with the help of this guide (to avoid the CTR Broken msg by Card1 roms).
Now here comes my problem: I just can't import the extracted save to the Sky3ds+, as in Gateway mode my Sky3ds+ doens't work (can't load games), and in Classic mode my Sky3ds+ is working but not my Savedatafiler (as well as all other CIA files).

Any solutions herefore? And I am also a bit sceptical even if I can make Sky3ds+ and Savedatafiler work at the same time, that it might still not gonna work. The reason for my skepsis is that the Sky3ds+ does not use diskwriter anymore, instead I just have to copy .3ds rom+ .sav on to the micro-SD card. And I dont believe that Savedatafiler will create a compatible .sav files for Sky3ds+. Since it creates a titleid.sav file for Gateway and I think they are not the same since I cant' just rename the titleid to the .3ds rom name (as mentioned in my opening post)

I do want to give it a try though, so any solutions for my problem with Sky3ds+ and savedatafiler?

@Just3DS:Jea i also like gateway 3ds more than sky3ds+, however i just purchased the card so now i already paid 80 bucks :/ and want to use it as long as it is not possible for me to use gateway on sysnand 10.3.

tigercop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you for the fast respone, I will try the two save game manager from the homebrew programs.

However what do you mean with Gateway and Sky3ds and CubicNinja? I am currently sitting at 9.8 FW on sysnand (came as default when I bought the new 3ds).
Doens't CubicNinja Exploit only works until 9.2?

EDIT: ok I think I get what u meant :) I was mixing things up and was thinking of the CubicNinja Exploit for Gateway 3DS which actually only works until FW9.2 but the NinjHax 2.5 for Homebrew Launcher works until FW10.3 now.

Last edited by tigercop,

tigercop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I managed to start the Homebrew launcher via CubicNinja in my Gateway emunand FW10.3.
I also added both programs SVDT and Save Data Manager in the Homebrew launcher.

Unfortunately, when I start the programs they both don't recognize my Sky3ds+ card (with the only game Fire Emblem on it).
However when I dont take out the Gateway Red Card and let it in side, it will recognize the Cubic Ninja game (obviously as it is my last loaded game on the Redcard to run the Ninjhax)
So I assume that the Cartridge in Emunand is still locked to the GW Red card only and won't recognize any other cards.

Actually my main problem is, that I can't get neither the .cia-savedatafiler nor the homebrew "save managers" to run at the same time when I have the Sky3ds+ in the cartridge.
The reason is that everything I tried until now, has to run through the Emunand of Gateway 3DS.

I have an OLD 3ds xl on FW 4.5 and a NEW 3ds on FW 9.8.

What do you guys think would be the "easiest" method to run savedatafiler (as cia) or the save managers (as homebrew) at the same time with the sky3ds+???

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason is that everything I tried until now, has to run through the Emunand of Gateway 3DS.
I've been there.

Set up emunand, convert your .3ds games to cia and install them. This is a lot of work at first, but once completed, moving save data around becomes very easy with SDF and NTR-CFW (There's a cia of it you can install to GW emunand. I got NTR and the save plugin from filetrip.) I don't think SDF can write a save to a cartridge, that's why I had to get NTR.

I was able to transfer my cia-installed Animal Crossing save game to the cartridge by booting my (GW-created) emunand with rxtools and loading NTR-CFW with save plugin. (rxtools is needed to allow access to the cartridge from emunand-booted system.)

I think you have to import the .sav file (from the .3ds) to the emunand installed cia of the game(Can SDF do this? I have not tried.), then use (NTR save plugin) to copy the save data from the cia-installed game to the sky3ds cart. Assuming sky3ds is exactly the same as a real cartridge, it should work.

Last edited by romanaOne,

VerseHell

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey thank you for the answers :).

I just tried the method with savedatafiler. I loaded the Fire Emblem - Awakening rom with gateway and then extracted the save to with the help of this guide (to avoid the CTR Broken msg by Card1 roms).
Now here comes my problem: I just can't import the extracted save to the Sky3ds+, as in Gateway mode my Sky3ds+ doens't work (can't load games), and in Classic mode my Sky3ds+ is working but not my Savedatafiler (as well as all other CIA files).

Any solutions herefore? And I am also a bit sceptical even if I can make Sky3ds+ and Savedatafiler work at the same time, that it might still not gonna work. The reason for my skepsis is that the Sky3ds+ does not use diskwriter anymore, instead I just have to copy .3ds rom+ .sav on to the micro-SD card. And I dont believe that Savedatafiler will create a compatible .sav files for Sky3ds+. Since it creates a titleid.sav file for Gateway and I think they are not the same since I cant' just rename the titleid to the .3ds rom name (as mentioned in my opening post)

I do want to give it a try though, so any solutions for my problem with Sky3ds+ and savedatafiler?

@Just3DS:Jea i also like gateway 3ds more than sky3ds+, however i just purchased the card so now i already paid 80 bucks :/ and want to use it as long as it is not possible for me to use gateway on sysnand 10.3.

You can use retail cartridges in gateway mode since 3.6, just insert your cartridge then press select

tigercop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OH MY GOD! It worked! U guys just saved me my 100+ hours of Fire Emblem Savegame.

@VerseHell You gave the golden hint. Never knew that after gateway 3.6, the cartridge can be used now.
After that it was quite straightforward, I just had to import the extracted raw save files to the Sky3ds+ cartridge with SaveDataFiler. It was just as @DaBlackDeath mentioned in his first post.

@romanaOne I think your method will work too, I was just about to install rxtools to access cartridge in emunand before VerseHell gave the golden hint. The workaround of converting 3ds files to cia was not necessary for me as SDF could directly extract the save data from the .3ds files of the gateway card. Nevertheless thanks for your help. The rxtools hint will become very handy for my Sky3ds+ console

@DaBlackDeath Special thanks to you. You answered quickly and guided me a lot :). I was just too silly to access Sky3ds+ in emunand before :/ since i was sitting on older gateway version.

In the following I will write a small Easy-To-Understand guide for other fellow users on how I did the conversion.

************************************************************************************************

Step 1) With the help of the guide by liomajor, I first extracted the raw save files from the game to the SD card. (This guide will avoid the cartridge broken error caused by the Gateway red card)
My description is based on his guide and I just edit some wording to fit my actual case for Gateway 3DS to Sky3ds+

At first, look up the titleid of your game on http://www.3dsdb.com/ (f.ex. Fire Emblem - Awakening = 000400000009F100)
1. Insert the 3D card with the gateway .sav files into your PC
2. Look for the titleid of your desired savegame and rename it to 000400000FF40A00.sav (in my case from 000400000009F100.sav -> 000400000FF40A00.sav)
3. Now you can insert your SD card back into your PC
4. Turn on the 3ds and go into gateway emunand mode.
5. Mount your .3ds/.3dz game with your gateway red card, but don't start it! (in my case Fire Emblem - Awakening)
6. Start SaveDataFiler (CTR Card is no longer broken! as there exists a 000400000FF40A00.sav file!) and highlight CTR Card
7. Press Y and then A to export the raw save files to the SD card.

SaveDataFiler stores in SDCARD:\filer\UserSaveData\20150131010203\000009F1
YEAR-MONTH-DAY-HOUR-MINUTE-SECONDS\TitleID

Step 2)

1. Exit the SaveDataFiler by pressing Home-Button and close the application.
2. Take out your Gateway red card and insert you Sky3ds+ card.
3. Press 'Select' and a window will pop-up notice you that there is no Gateway red card.
4. Change the Mode from Gateway to Classic Sysnand and the Sky3ds+ card will function!
5. Now Push the Orange Button on the Sky3ds+ Card until your desired game pops up (in my case Fire Emblem - Awakening)
6. Start SaveDataFiler again and switch to SD folder and highlight your exported save files. (in my case user: 20160117072157: 000009F1)
7. Press L and then A to import the raw save files to the Sky3ds+ card.

FINISH ;)

TLDR: Use SaveDataFiler. Export your Gateway Save to SD and reinject to Sky3DS+. (as posted by DaBlackDeath as first answer in this thread)

Last edited by tigercop,
Reactions: DaBlackDeath

freeza

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to do this without Gateway? I'm trying to use a save file off 3ds-savegames.com since my TLOZ:ALBW and Super Mario 3D Land saves are gone/corrupted after upgrading from Sky3DS to Sky3DS+. Since Sky3DS+ now uses the .sav and .3ds formats, it shouldn't be too hard to either use or convert a GW save from the site into something readable by Sky3DS+ OR the games in CIA format. Any help is appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: