Transfer Pokémon to a different Pokémon game

madrat31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my son has recently got himself a new 3ds again and has 2 different Pokémon games. He is asking us to buy him a 3ds for his birthday so he can transfer Pokémon from 1 game to another.
Personally I say "no way" just not as politely haha.
So my question is, can this be done without another D's, like can he transfer them from 1 game to an SD card and the load them onto another game cartridge or anything similar to this?
Please be descriptive as I know nothing about 3ds really, I've only just learned that they save to the cartridge lol

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can this be done without another D's
Depends, what Pokémon games are you talking specifically? I hope not GBA games..
For DS games if you want to do it the legit way you have to transfer the Gen IV Pokemon from (Pearl/Diamond/Platinum /HeartGold/SoulSilver) to the Gen V games like Black/White & Black 2/White 2 first, then plug the cartridge into the 3DS to transfer them to an app called Poke Transporter, then to another called Pokémon Bank, then you can transfer them to 3DS Pokemon games like X/Y, ORAS, Sun/Moon, Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon.
And you can transfer them to the Pokémon games on Switch too if you want, but that's a separate matter..

like can he transfer them from 1 game to an SD card and the load them onto another game cartridge or anything similar to this?
Is he using an R4 flashcart with the roms of these games, if so it's easy to transfer those saves to the PC and transfering the Pokémons he want to the new save file of the 3DS games directly with PKHex but this is the non-legit way of doing it, though there's no difference between the two but the above (legit way) is more of a headache, and he gets to keep his Pokémon on his old saves..
There's also TWilightmenu and it's same exact method but i doubt he's using it..
I'm afraid if he doesn't have either an R4 or TWilightmenu installed, depends if he's using a regular DS, DS Lite or DSi/DSi XL, you can between either getting an R4 (or one of the clones), installing CFW if it's a DSi/XL, to avoid the hassle above specially if he doesn't have the Gen V games to transfer to.
Please be descriptive as I know nothing about 3ds really, I've only just learned that they save to the cartridge lol
Well just absorb what i said above and you'll be fine. 😀

Stario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Just to point out, Madrat31 probably isn't talking about ''transfer'' as the term is known, is more about that his son want's to have another console to trade the Pokémon between the games (to get them to evolve naturally). Something that isn't possible using tools to transfer Pokémon between versions.
I personally never looked to find how to do this so... I have no idea if it is even possible.

Reactions: Takokeshi

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends, what Pokémon games are you talking specifically? I hope not GBA games..
Actually, the homebrew app PKSM can allow transferring from the GBA titles now as well. In fact, PKSM can have you trade Pokemon from all games between gens 3 through 7 on a single 3DS. The gen 1 and 2 games can't directly trade to other gen games on the system, however, the official PokeTransporter app will allow the first 2 gen games (and gen 5) to transfer those Pokemon directly to Pokemon Bank. And I believe through Pokemon Bank you can then transfer those Pokemon back to a gen 6 or 7 game. And from there, you could use PKSM to move those Pokemon around gen 3-7 games as well. No need to even copy any saves to your PC or anything messy like that.

So really, with a combination of the great homebrew app PKSM as well as the official PokeTransporter and Pokemon Bank apps, Pokemon from the first 7 gens can all be transferred between each other on a single 3DS.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I misread, i thought you were talking about DS games..
Anyway, you can transfer to another game without the need of another 3DS, but the system needs to have CFW installed. Simply, dump the save from the cartridge- the one with the Pokémons he wants to transfer- with "Checkpoint" and do the same to the targeted Pokémon game, open both in "PKHeX" in PC, and transfer Pokémons to your heart's content.
But if you want to do it legitly, you can try the GTS in those and painstakingly trade each Pokemon one by one. by posting the Pokémon, removing the cartridge, plugging the targeted other cart trade using a Pokémon, and that's if you don't get interrupted which almost guaranteed these days, since hackers are all over the GTS, and your son's Pokémon is lost forever!
You can do trade evolutions easily in PKHeX or PKSM. i'm not sure if the GTS withdrawal glitch worked for trade evolutions if that's what ge wants to achieve on the 3DS games, probably not.

Last edited by CoolMe,

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the homebrew app PKSM can allow transferring from the GBA titles now as well. In fact, PKSM can have you trade Pokemon from all games between gens 3 through 7 on a single 3DS. The gen 1 and 2 games can't directly trade to other gen games on the system, however, the official PokeTransporter app will allow the first 2 gen games (and gen 5) to transfer those Pokemon directly to Pokemon Bank. And I believe through Pokemon Bank you can then transfer those Pokemon back to a gen 6 or 7 game. And from there, you could use PKSM to move those Pokemon around gen 3-7 games as well.

So really, with a combination of the great homebrew app PKSM as well as the official PokeTransporter and Pokemon Bank apps, Pokemon from the first 7 gens can all be transferred between each other on a single 3DS.
I know that, i misread his post at first, i thought he was talking about transferring from the DS Pokémon games to the 3DS..

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And i don't believe he has CFW installed, so he needs it for either PKSM or PKHeX..
And the reason i emphasized on PKHeX, since with PKSM he can just do it in the 3DS without the need for pc, but with PKHeX he can check/see if the Pokémon is legal or not with the legality check, you can't do that with PKSM, it's important if he decides to edit Mons, or for doing trade evolutions..

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And i don't believe he has CFW installed, so he needs it for either PKSM or PKHeX..
And the reason i emphasized on PKHeX, since with PKSM he can just do it in the 3DS without the need for pc, but with PKHeX he can check/see if the Pokémon is legal or not with the legality check, you can't do that with PKSM, it's important if he decides to edit Mons, or for doing trade evolutions..
PKSM can now check legality over the internet (think this was updated back in 2019). So for that part, you do not need to use your own PC anymore either, but you do need to have your 3DS connected to the internet.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PKSM can now check legality over the internet (think this was updated back in 2019). So for that part, you do not need to use your PC, but you do need to have your 3DS connected to the internet.
Oh? Didn't that.. So if that's the case, then he should use just PKSM. :)

madrat31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I haven't replied to anyone, I hadn't received any emails saying people have responded so I didn't think anyone had.

Wow, that's an awful lot of information. In response to some questions, yes I'm pretty sure he wants to trade Pokémon to evolve or just to have them all in one game. Platinum and black/white and Pokémon X ring a bell so probably those games.

So from what I'm getting here, he needs to install so ething called PKSM and this will enable him to do both these things?

As a complete newbie, where do I get PKSM and how do I install it? Sorry I know I'm thick when it comes to 3ds lol

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I haven't replied to anyone, I hadn't received any emails saying people have responded so I didn't think anyone had.
No prob.
Wow, that's an awful lot of information. In response to some questions, yes I'm pretty sure he wants to trade Pokémon to evolve or just to have them all in one game. Platinum and black/white and Pokémon X ring a bell so probably those games.
So it is about DS games, then read my first comment above.
So from what I'm getting here, he needs to install so ething called PKSM and this will enable him to do both these things?
Yes, PKSM is a a homebrew app for the 3DS, it's easy to use, you just install its .cia with FBI (like you do for 3DS games) or install with Universal Updater (you need to have this app installed on your 3DS if you want to use it). But both methods require CFW to be installed on your 3DS, if you don't have it, there's no way around it. Again, read my first comment above.
Here's the link for the guide if you want to install CFW. If you need help on anything, just ask.:)
As a complete newbie, where do I get PKSM and how do I install it? Sorry I know I'm thick when it comes to 3ds lol
Read above.

Reactions: Takokeshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool