Transfer old SD SSB savedata to new emuNAND (rxTools)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Osmosis, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Osmosis
    OP

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    I don't have GW Red Cart yet. So SDF is not an option.

I do have my old SD files and would like to transfer the savedata for SSB to my new emuNAND SD.

I tried just transfering the 00000001.sav file and it prompted me about not being latest savedata and overwrite.

I got SFIV to work (but it has savedata backup capabilities).

Any way to do this?

O3DSXL
    sysNAND 9.2
    emuNAND 9.7
    Linked
    using rxTools

Just would like my old savedata for SSB back.

2. mid-kid

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

Aug 2, 2012
    Just a random thought: use the SD card decryptor from Decrypt9 or rxTools, generate xorpads for that file for 1 nand, and do the same for the other, decrypt the old NAND's save, replace the save from the new NAND with that of the old NAND, re-encrypt the old NAND's save with the new NAND's save xorpad, done.
    I don't think that will work though, unless the magic anti save-restoring value is stored in that .sav file.

It's possible, just a bit difficult and very time-consuming with the current tools available.
    For the method I will explain, you will need to downgrade to 4.5, and upgrade when the process is done, as you don't seem to have any other way of running SDF available. I warn you that I haven't personally tried to do this, but in theory, this should work.

I'm assuming you have 2 SD cards, one with the old NAND, and one with the new NAND. This can also be done with just one SD, but that's even MORE time consuming.
    You will need to have a save file created on your new NAND, and verify you can play the game with that save file.
    You will need 4 NANDs: Your old NAND, another 4.5 NAND linked to this old NAND, your new NAND, and a 4.5 NAND linked to your new NAND.
    You can create the linked NANDs with a copy of your sysNAND, as done by the GW launcher, and link it by moving the movable.sed from the updated NAND to the 4.5 NAND. Warning: this will cause all data from the 4.5 NAND to be lost.
    Please note that the linked NANDs need the same SD card inserted as their updated counterparts, to be able to extract their respective save files. The only way to achieve this is by creating a dual emuNAND, or putting the linked nand on sysNAND.
    You can use sysNAND to avoid creating 2 new dual emuNANDs. Just be careful and validate that the movable.sed you're transferring is the right size. This can potentially brick your sysNAND, but if you're careful, it has no reason to. Also, remember that all the data on the sysNAND will be lost, unless backed up (which you will do anyway when downgrading).
    If both the old and the new emuNAND are linked to the same sysNAND, you don't need to do anything with the movable.sed, and you can just use PBT-CFW and swap SD cards or the "Nintendo 3DS" folder only.

So, once you know how you will manage your NANDs, insert the old NAND's SD card into the console, boot into the NAND which is linked to your old NAND with either Dual emuNAND CFW or PBT-CFW, depending on your setup, with the L button pressed, install SDF with ctrclient instead of devmenu, launch SDF, and back up your save (id can be searched on 3ds.essh.co).

If you're using your sysNAND, and it's unlinked from the new NAND, it's time to inject the new NAND's movable.sed.

Now, do the same process with the other SD card, and dump your save.

Now, this is the important part. We need to copy over the magical unicorn of save restoration restriction bytes, so that the bytes of the old save match the bytes on the new NAND, so it doesn't think it's an old save.
    Whip out ure favrit HEX editor, and open the system_data.bin from new save file. Write down on a piece of paper or whatever you have, bytes 0x12 to 0x16.
    Now, open the system_data.bin from the old save file (make backups!), and replace those bytes by the bytes of the new save file.

Copy the old save file to the new SD card, launch the linked NAND to run SDF, and inject the save. Launch the updated emuNAND with rxTools to test it, and you should be all set!

Osmosis likes this.
  3. Osmosis
    OP

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Wow. Insane reply. Love it.

So long story short, wait for red cart? Then use SDF?

Not going the magical unicorn route. Had way too many problems just to get where it's at. At one point I was bricking emUNAND trying to link NANDS.

I was wondering how to slip the .sav file in... but if it would be easier to use Red Cart, I think I'll just be patient and wait. It's on the way here... hopefully.

I could use rxTools decrypter, but the even thought of downgrading to 4.5 worries me.

The old SD files came from a 9.7 sysNAND without GW. So they're still "original". I redownloaded SSB using 9.7 emuNAND and I'm pretty sure that's why it keeps rejecting the .sav. It has to do with moveable.sed and tickets.dg, doesn't it?

The last time I tried to link moveable.sed and tickets.dg it black screened emuNAND. So not sure what's going on there...

If there is a method using Red Cart and SDF, just follow sticky guide?

New to GW scene. Sky3DS... okay. But I'm just starting to navigate emuNANDs.

By the time my mSD cards show up, the Red Cart will be here. So Red Cart, SDF, XORPAD and old SD .SAV files will work?

Or do I still need to get my emuNAND to recognize the old .sav by resetting moveable.sed and ticket.dg?

I do know this:

My old SD SSB was transfered on 9.7, but I never updated any of the games before attempting transfer. Maybe if I start a fresh emuNAND and not update SSB the .sav will slip in when I update it?

Just a thought.

As for SSFIV3d it has savedata backup feature, and copied over just fine. It's stupid SSB and .sav encryption which is ticking me off.

4. mid-kid

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

Aug 2, 2012
    If the save files came from another 3DS, you have no way of restoring them unless you manage to run SDF on the console of origin.
    The stuff has a per-console encryption key, so that even if you manage to move the movable.sed, you won't be able to do anything with it.
    Your best bet is nintendo's system transfer tool.