Hacking Transfer Miis from GW EmuNAND to Luma3DS CFW?

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Somewhere last month, I decided to get some use out of my Old 3DS XL again and saw everybody recommending to ditch Gateway and install Luma3DS again, which I did. I also saw there was an option to transfer the Gateway EmuNAND to the Luma3DS SysNAND, but I opted not to because I didn't think there was anything worth transferring.

I was wrong. Preferably, I'd want to transfer all my Miis I made back in the day. I still have my old SD card that has the partition holding the old EmuNAND. Is there a way to extract or somehow access the Miis stored there and transfer them? I'd rather not transfer the whole EmuNAND, since I imagine that would get rid of anything I have installed in Luma3DS SysNAND right now

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Miis are stored in the CFL_DB file inside shared extdata F00000B, you can get at it using a save manager that supports shared extdata - like JKSV
I suppose this means I need to load the EmuNAND again in some way. But I don't know if I can just boot it since I imagine the Gateway exploit got removed once I installed Luma3DS and updated (as per the hacks guide)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I suppose this means I need to load the EmuNAND again in some way. But I don't know if I can just boot it since I imagine the Gateway exploit got removed once I installed Luma3DS and updated (as per the hacks guide)
You don't have to use Gateway's CFW (which by the way can still be used on a B9S system, although in a needlessly complicated way due to GW's fault to update their CFW) to run an emunand, most CFWs support gateway's emunand format

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You don't have to use Gateway's CFW (which by the way can still be used on a B9S system, although in a needlessly complicated way due to GW's fault to update their CFW) to run an emunand, most CFWs support gateway's emunand format
Okay, thank you. Do you happen to have a link to a guide on how to run an EmuNAND on Luma3DS? If not, I probably can figure it out through searching

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've tried and looked around and any method to boot the EmuNAND doesn't seem to work. Godmode9 seems to be able to see and browse the EmuNAND partition, but the Luma3DS configuration screen doesn't even give me EmuNAND options, as if it doesn't even know it's there. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Reactions: Nurio

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could follow this https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/ to get Gateway functionality back. I have a feeling that if Luma can't boot it Gateway might not be able to either (could something have gotten corrupted maybe?) but doesn't hurt to try (as long as you're careful not to boot Gateway mode on too high a firmware).
Sadly, I am on 11.9, as this guide recommended to update after installing Luma3DS, so it seems like I can't do this. It's weird, because I can't imagine the EmuNAND partition got corrupted, since I distinctly recall it working until I just simply stopped using it years ago.

I can also browse everything in the EmuNAND using Godmode9, and while I definitely have no real knowledge of how things should look, nothing seems to be out of place or missing or anything.

Yet, at the same time, I also can't really think of a reason why it wouldn't work, unless it's something like Luma3DS being unable to load an EmuNAND on an older firmware (can't remember which version exactly)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Sadly, I am on 11.9, as this guide recommended to update after installing Luma3DS, so it seems like I can't do this. It's weird, because I can't imagine the EmuNAND partition got corrupted, since I distinctly recall it working until I just simply stopped using it years ago.

I can also browse everything in the EmuNAND using Godmode9, and while I definitely have no real knowledge of how things should look, nothing seems to be out of place or missing or anything.

Yet, at the same time, I also can't really think of a reason why it wouldn't work, unless it's something like Luma3DS being unable to load an EmuNAND on an older firmware (can't remember which version exactly)
It's ok, as long as you never updated your emuNAND and you are careful not to boot Gateway in sysNAND mode. It think it will work.

Also, if it helps I did some tests (which I videoed) a long time ago to settle the myth as to whether booting Gateway mode on too high a firmware would brick the console - all it did was black screen. I think at worst it would remove B9S, which you could just install again

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's ok, as long as you never updated your emuNAND and you are careful not to boot Gateway in sysNAND mode. It think it will work.

Also, if it helps I did some tests (which I videoed) a long time ago to settle the myth as to whether booting Gateway mode on too high a firmware would brick the console - all it did was black screen. I think at worst it would remove B9S, which you could just install again
I did update the EmuNAND, and I have no idea what firmware version it is on, so that's a bit tricky. I maybe had another idea, but I wanted to check with you guys to see if this would even work.

I found the (encrypted, I imagine) extdata @Ryccardo mentioned in Godemode9 at "[4:] EMUNAND CTRNAND\data\<ID0>\extdata\00048000\f000000b"
Could I maybe copy the contents of that folder to "[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND\data\<ID0>\extdata\00048000\f000000b" using Godmode9? Or would that not work due to different encryption or something like that?

If that's not possible, I'll try booting into Gateway mode. I just want to avoid that trouble if possible, even though there is no real risk of a brick

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the ID0 on both SysNAND and EmuNAND match

Last edited by Nurio,

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could follow this https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-using-luma3ds-gateway-on-b9s.431691/ to get Gateway functionality back. I have a feeling that if Luma can't boot it Gateway might not be able to either (could something have gotten corrupted maybe?) but doesn't hurt to try (as long as you're careful not to boot Gateway mode on too high a firmware).
I also looked into this now and I simply cannot find the required GW version of "arm9loaderhax.bin" since GW is kinda... gone, so I don't know if this is an option either.

I did find an old EmuNAND 9.5 backup (which in theory should still hold all my old Miis) and my old SysNAND 4.2 backup. Is there any way I can just... decrypt this bin file, get the necessary extdata, put it onto my new SD card, and restore that extdata through JKSM on Luma3DS?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I found the (encrypted, I imagine) extdata @Ryccardo mentioned in Godemode9 at "[4:] EMUNAND CTRNAND\data\<ID0>\extdata\00048000\f000000b"
Could I maybe copy the contents of that folder to "[1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND\data\<ID0>\extdata\00048000\f000000b" using Godmode9? Or would that not work due to different encryption or something like that?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the ID0 on both SysNAND and EmuNAND match
I don't remember if saves on internal storage are encrypted (if they were, the keys would probably be the same anyway, since the two systems have the same movable.sed), trying should be free (maybe you'll need to use the "fix cmac" option on the restored file if it appears when selected) - just make a nand backup beforehand just in case

Reactions: Nurio

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't remember if saves on internal storage are encrypted (if they were, the keys would probably be the same anyway, since the two systems have the same movable.sed), trying should be free (maybe you'll need to use the "fix cmac" option on the restored file if it appears when selected) - just make a nand backup beforehand just in case
Thanks. I'll try that. Strangely, all 5 "parts" of SysNAND I see in Godmode9 are seemingly exactly the same as all 5 "parts" of EmuNAND. Is that normal?

snap_190502181842.png

Just look at that. They're all the exact same sizes, and when I browse them, they seem to hold the exact same files, all with the exact same sizes. I also tried restoring my old 9.5 EmuNAND backup to the SD card using something called emuNANDTool I downloaded way back in like 2015, but that didn't make a difference

So, it almost seems like Godmode9 acknowledges there's an EmuNAND partition but somehow reads the SysNAND when accessing it or something?

I'm thinking of making a backup of the old SD card that held all the Gateway stuff, then clear it, then have Godmode9 format it for EmuNAND, then restore my 9.5 EmuNAND bin to it, and see if that makes it properly accessible. Maybe there's just something about the way it was partitioned or something that makes it unusable

Last edited by Nurio,

Nurio

That Kirby fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm thinking of making a backup of the old SD card that held all the Gateway stuff, then clear it, then have Godmode9 format it for EmuNAND, then restore my 9.5 EmuNAND bin to it, and see if that makes it properly accessible. Maybe there's just something about the way it was partitioned or something that makes it unusable
Okay, I just went ahead and did it, and... When I had removed the EmuNAND partition and cleared the SD card, Godmode9 didn't see an EmuNAND partition anymore (obviously). Then I used Godmode9 to set up a new GW-styled EmuNAND partition, but Luma3DS still refuses to acknowledge it and gives me no options to load or configure it. This is a fresh EmuNAND partition made by Godmode9...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: