Transcend class 4 8GB - worth it?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Searinox, Jul 22, 2008.

Jul 22, 2008
  1. Searinox
    OP

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    I found one to buy at a local store for $45 and I'm wondering if any of you ever used them in games and could tell me if they lag in the Castlevania DoS intro.

2. golden

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    I've never used it myself. You can always try it yourself and then return it if you don't like the results. I can barely fill up my 2G micro sd. I don't see what you want the 8G for but it seems pretty cool. If you can read on the card itself if it says made in Japan on the micro sd card I think it will be very fast and completely fine.

3. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    That only applies to Kingston/Toshiba.

4. golden

United States
    Well I have one made in Japan that is neither one of those brands(PNY Technologies) and it works perfect and when I switch to a chinese made card it lags on Castlevania DoS intro so in my experience, the Japan made brands have worked for me no matter what company they are from. This has just been my experience though.

5. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    PNY is rebranded Toshiba.

6. golden

United States
    That's cool.

7. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    What about Transcend? Are their memories fast?

8. Seven

Member Seven oh hell no

United States
    Personally I haven't had a problem with Transcend, but if it comes to shelling out a couple more bucks for a Kingston/Sandisk/Toshiba, feel free to buy those instead. I haven't played PoR yet with it.

9. sueil

Newcomer sueil Advanced Member

United States
    Well I can't speak on this card itself. However trying to fill up my 8GB card is a bit of hard time. Even with 70 games on there I barely topped 4GB. A lot of those games though were not really ones I would think are worth playing under normal circumstances. I just threw em on because I had space. 8 GB might be a good invesment with the future in mind. However right now? There is no where near 8GB worth of good games.

10. GX255

Newcomer GX255 Advanced Member

United States
    Its like this.
    The bigger the memory say 8gb micro sdhc, you would end up lacking the speed to read. (they tend to be class 4)
    IF you settle with a 4gb micro sdhc you get a class 6 reader which is much faster.
    And its cheaper to buy 2x4gb msdhc.

11. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    Just bought it. There seems to be no ingame lag nor lag with DoS intro. Formatted 64K cluster. I'm almost certain it would lag with the Supercard OS, but the DSTT handles everything so smooth. Tried a bit of PoR. Moderate freezes sometimes when accessing the warp stones, no freezes at all while actually scrolling through the points. I can live with it. I have a question: which other games require fast memory?

12. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I'd wait till the 12 gigs drop, and then you can bet the 8s will go down and the Class 6 ones will start cropping up.

Just think, the 16 gig Memory Stick Pro Duo was like $300 in March. I bought one for half that last week.

13. GX255

Newcomer GX255 Advanced Member

United States
    Jester were would I find a 12gb micro sdhc?

14. pokemongalaxy

Banned pokemongalaxy Banned

Canada
    is there such thing? I though there was 32,64,128,256,512,1g,2,4,8,16...32...?

15. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    I haven't heard of 12GB yet, but I have heard of 6. Yes it is always easier to manufacture memories that exponentiate on 2(2,4,8,16...) but it's not impossible to create a memory of a different size, besides imagine the day 64GB memories come out. Who in the world would want to wait until an 128 comes out, they'd much rather buy an 80 gig when it's available cause the classical exponential growth is going to get so massive that it might take forever until its double comes out.

16. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Try Mariokart. My 8GB Sandisk doesn't experience any problems with EDGE, but I've been eyeing the Transcend 8GB also.

17. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    Been playing MK, and online too. Haven't had one freeze, except for the one time when the network screwed up and I tried disconnecting from it and the little wheel kept spinning but it never finished so I soft reset. That doesn't count.

18. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Been using Transcend cards for years with no issues at all. Still use an old Transcend 2GB SD on the Wii....still works great! I can absolutely recommend these cards as being compatible (never had an issue...ever) and reliable.

19. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I swear I saw them demo'ing a 12 gig Sandisk card during an expo a few months ago. My memories must be playing tricks on me, I'm aware of the whole exponent theory, argh, I wish I could remember which expo it was.

20. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    *points to his post above* I dun think it was playing tricks at all, they just can't keep up the whole exponent thing as they keep getting so large, it's becoming unpractical.