ROM Hack Trainer Making - IDA Pro and Trainermenus

DimondEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello.
I am following a tutorial to make GBA Trainers, and now I am stuck. I have to disassemble a ROM with IDA Pro (which I have) but it would appear that I am missing a plug-in. IDA sees it as a binary file, which produces problems. Does anyone know where to get the plugin I need, or am I doing something wrong?

Also, is there a good tutorial for making (and using) good GBA trainermenus? Because I have absolutly no Idea how to make one, and am a total n00b at ASM.

All help is apprecated!

DE

bunsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You have an option to select which CPU IDA is supposed to work with. No plugin necessary.

As for using a menu, i don't think any of the groups just want to hand over their assembly sources just like that.

bunsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Press "C" to make it readable assembly. Note that the first few hundred bytes are the header and isn't code to begin with (the absolute first opcode is tho, it's the jump to the rest of the code).

DimondEdge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well... I get a few MOVs now, but still mostly DBC.
Anything else to try?

EDIT: Could I be choosing the wrong entry point? How do I figure out the correct one?

bunsy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You should be mapping up the loaded rom to begin at 0x8000000 as that is what the gba reads the cart from. Depending on the rom chosen you should be seeing something similar to this.

The very first opcode is a jump below the header which then sets up some stuff about the gba itself (where the stack pointer is, cpu mode, blabla, this portion is provided by nintendo), and then finally jumps into the game specific code that in this case starts at 0x8017B54 (and +1 to let the cpu know to switch into thumb mode - switching cpu modes in IDA is done with alt-g and entering 1 for thumb or 0 for arm).

Piece of cake, really
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end