Hardware Traces on 2nd layer of PI3USB (experiment!)

SolidSnakeUk89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive started to do an experiment, I want to work out how some parts of the PCB connect to each other so we can build some rudimentary schematics.

I have 1 board.. HAC-CPU-10 (CW) that has given me all I needed.. it has been a really nice donor and although it still have some chips I can harvest .. and I dont have any more switches to repair because I am awaiting parts... I have decided to start a little project.

I am going to strip the layers of the PCB bit by bit and I will post images here so that in a near future we can build some schematics with this and some reading.. this thread will be my "blog" somehow.. I will try post images of the layers peeled (my microscope is not too good so sorry for the quality) I will also post images whit the UV lamp to see the traces well.. and also will try to post references from another donor board I have (may not be pretty but is what I have that I can trash..)

Today, I wanted to understand how the PI3USB data lines (DP0, 1, 2 ,3 and Aux) signal go through the chokes to the USB port and which pins are used to communicate here.. Also those I/O lines.

I want people to debate, I want to hear loads of opinions and comments so please go ahead, this is an open forum to discuss how this PCB is built and draw some conclusions

also I want guidance.. what would you do next?
1st layer off2 v2.PNG
1st layer off2 ref.PNG
1st layer off2 ref final.PNG
1st layer off2 ref v2.PNG
1st layer off.PNG
1st layer off2 uv .PNG
1st layer off2.PNG
1st layer off2 uv v2.PNG

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, i think i would like to see opposite side of the board with same "cut", lets start to count layers also...

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure doing this will be of much use, as we can establish how things are connected by looking at the datasheets. If your trying to form a schematic of the switch i would say the datasheets are where you need to start.
You just need to know how the Ic's and components are electrically connected not how the board is laid out. I'm sure the board could be laid out in numerous different ways.

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure doing this will be of much use, as we can establish how things are connected by looking at the datasheets. If your trying to form a schematic of the switch i would say the datasheets are where you need to start.
You just need to know how the Ic's and components are electrically connected not how the board is laid out. I'm sure the board could be laid out in numerous different ways.

Would be a good idea if we had an actual datasheets....

Agilato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most datasheets can be found for the components used on the switch.

May be something changed, but month ago i was not able to find Actual datasheets for most chips, there is datasheets for analogs around where half info is useless, if you have this data we would like to get it ;-)

Any way i believe any bit of information is helpful...

Coreyosaur

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now is one of those times where a Gerber file would be pretty nice, huh...
So much work for a file that several people probably have sitting on USB drives and in garbage bins.. but unless someone posts it .. this is what you have to do

Reactions: Agilato

SolidSnakeUk89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
has anybody found the mistery chip datasheet tho?? there are still a few chips that dont have any info available because they are Nintendo Proprietary, also, does everybody knows what are all the power rails available in the board? and how the different pin of each component connect to the different capacitors/ resistors/ inductors because I would like that information :P LOL

upload_2019-8-30_0-25-5.png

Reactions: Agilato

Andromeda

Trophies
XP
Country
Great work!

But did it take off?

I have lost the Pericom pads 8 & 9, did you find the paths of the pericom chip?

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Can't tell from the photos but the teardown pics on the internet suggest only two DP lanes are connected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1