Tra la lala Family Guy!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by TrolleyDave, Sep 27, 2009.

Sep 27, 2009

Tra la lala Family Guy! by TrolleyDave at 2:09 AM (2,079 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. TrolleyDave
    OP

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I love the Fall season on American telly! Recently we've had new series of Big Bang Theory, Heroes, House, Supernatural and many other top class shows. I'd gone off Heroes a little since season 2. Season 2 was ok but cut short and it suffered because of it, season 3 was just meh. This seasons premiere makes it look promising tho, let's just hope they keep it up.

But the show I've really been waiting for starts again tomorrow night, Family Guy! And of course some new American Dad which is just as good. The Cleveland Show officially premieres tomorrow as well. I watched the screener and it was pretty good. Different enough to Family Guy to make it worthwhile but still very funny.

2. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    yeah, family guy is the shiz.

3. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    Family guy is overrated it was funny at first but gets old really fast.

4. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    I can see why people don't like it but I'll hold my hands up and admit that it's one of my favourite shows of all time. It's definitely changed alot since season 4 but I still love it. It's cleverly stupid in the same way that Beavis and Butthead was.

5. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    That's true. Even though CSI: Miami is overrated more than Family Guy, to become the most watched television show in the world. I always didn't watch Family Guy though.

6. syko5150

United States
    i can admit that it IS funny and makes me laugh but i just think the pure stupidity of the things they do on the show were really funny at first but now its like ok yeah we already seen that...show me something new already...

7. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    ya, the old family guy in my opinion was better, but i'll hold my breath till then the new episodes are out.

Peter Griffin for president [​IMG]

8. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    I don't find Family Guy to get old. Just don't watch it often and it'll stay frresh. You can only laugh for so long. Spread out the episodes and you'll love it. That's what I do.

9. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
  10. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    lmao Who the hell are they? And the girl front left is pretty hot.

11. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    So are half of the other bloody shows that try to be funny, like South Park so what is your point? No one cares, Family Guy is funny because it is stupid which is the who premise behind it's creation and has pushed the limits of comedy on cable networks. I get pissed off when some channels like to censor even the little immature jokes which are harmless because they want to air it during early evening hours. I figure if you are going to run a show that has mature content, either keep it uncensored or don't show it at all until prime time hours, PeachTree TV does that a lot with Family Guy and it's not really funny when they take out all the jokes because they are mature.

12. syko5150

United States
    South Park and older shows have already done everything family guy is doing its nothing new its just the same old crap for a new generation.when south park first came out tons of people were complaining about it and trying to get it off the air...

13. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    The humour in South Park is completely different to the humour in Family Guy. South Park, while it has stupid humour, is actually very clever and makes no attempt to disguise the fact that it's for smarter people. People see the fact that it's got kids swearing and think it makes it "stupid" comedy, but it really isn't it. It's very socially aware comedy, if it wasn't so funny it would actually be pretty pretentious. It's got the same kind of ideology behind it that Natural Born Killers had, although it's alot smarter, alot more entertaining and a hell of alot less preachy then Natural Born Killers.

Family Guys humour is just plain stupid and very random. You might compare it South Park and say it's all been done before but none of the South Park jokes would work in Family Guy and none of Family Guys humour would work in South Park. They've already tried it, South Park did their own version of Family Guy humour in an episode (can't remember which one off-hand) and Family Guy did something similar in the episode "No Meals on Wheels". At the end of "No Meals on Wheels" Chris gives a speech similar in style to the ones that Kyle/Stan always give at the end of South Park. It only worked (for both shows) because you know they were doing it just to poke fun at the other show.

@DSGamer64 : You've just reminded me that I want to hunt down the broadcast version of PTV. The DVDs have a different "Douchebags" skit. The one on the DVDs is funny as fuck ("I dare you to crap off that" lol) but I preferred the broadcast version of Peter rolling off the roof in a shopping trolley.

14. syko5150

United States
    most of family guys humor comes from stupid jokes about old sitcoms from the 70's/80's the point i was making is the other poster stated that it was pushing the limits of comedy on network cable but south park already pushed the limit on cable over a decade ago.

Edit:if anything south park paved the way for shows like family guy to even have the type of humor they have.

15. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Don't know much about that as I don't live in the States, but Beavis and Butthead were doing it before South Park. I'm not sure if that's network cable or not tho? There's always some show pushing some boundary somewhere. American telly has a long way to go to catch up to us tho.

I'll agree it does push some boundaries tho. Herbert isn't a character you're likely to see in any other show, cartoon or live action. Quagmire is another character who you probably wouldn't see in any other show either, or at least not as "hardcore" (it's not really the right word but can't think of another one, it's 5:30am!) as he is. There's alot of stuff that goes on in it that I honestly haven't seen anywhere else. Plus the fact that it's not topical like South Park means the episodes hold up to repeat watching alot better than most South Park episodes.

As for it making alot of stupid jokes about sitcoms from the 70's/80's, that's fine by me. That's what I grew up watching and alot of the references/jokes/snipes are spot on.

16. syko5150

United States
    well yeah beavis and butthead did do some things to change cable tv but south park took it to an entirely different level...i know when south park first came out a lot of people were putting parental blocks on Comedy Central(the network its on here in the US)but most people didnt care much about beavis and butthead well as far as parental blocking goes anyway...but south park put parents in an outrage.i'm not even going to get started on the south park movie AHAHAHA =D...but yeah like i stated earlier today i found family guy very funny for the first few seasons but now its just old and i find myself changing the channel half way through the episodes...

17. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Each to their own mate, that's what life's all about! It's one of 4 shows I own all the boxsets for, the others being Futurama, Married With Children and Sledge Hammer.

18. syko5150

United States
    Futurama and Married...With Children are freaking awesome shows and i can never get tired of them no matter how many times i see them...also King of the Hill i really enjoy that show...but family guy is good for a quick laugh here and there but its very forgettable.

19. TrolleyDave
    OP

United Kingdom
    See I find Family Guy to be just as funny and timeless as MWC, just in a very different way. There isn't a moment in any Family Guy show that doesn't have me laughing for some reason or another.

Never really got into King of the Hill. It's smart, got some good characters and it does have some funny moments in it but it's more drama-like than I like my cartoons!

20. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    koth got cancelled, last (double) episode aired a week or 2 ago