Toys R Us might escape bankruptcy, revival of the brand planned

Toys-R-Us_entertainment_toys_shopfront_ST-8.jpg

This year, Toys R Us went out of business, closing all 735 stores in the United States, putting an end to an era. A few months have passed since then, and it seems that the company might still have something up its sleeve. The lenders in charge of the brand have changed their minds, and plan to not put their brand name up for auction, and will instead attempt a revival. Others have already put in offers and bids to obtain the Toys R Us name, but those in charge will not be accepting them. A document filed on October 1st denotes that Toys R Us and its properties will be re-purposed for investments in retail stores. In short, it means Toys R Us has a shot at making a comeback, but in just what way is still a little unclear.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been past plenty of former locations in the UK and now US. They were... in need of maintenance some 18 months before it all dropped and the subsequent couple of years has not helped matters.

If it is just some company wants to buy the brand though then so be it.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Toys R Us is something that purely can live off nostalgia, now. It's exactly like Twinkies. Once you realize you might lose something you grew up with forever, the public will try to keep it alive.

I mean, look at Madcatz. They lived even when no one wanted them to

Reminds me of that craze that happened when they announced Twinkies were going off-sale... They made an enourmous amount of money and came back to the market like nothing happened.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Reminds me of that craze that happened when they announced Twinkies were going off-sale... They made an enourmous amount of money and came back to the market like nothing happened.
Even Camaro did this like 4-5 years ago. A friend's parents had the first-year Camaro so they bought the "last year" model, and then they just kept making them. They ended up selling the newer one.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toys R Us is something that purely can live off nostalgia, now.

Funny. Didn't even know Toys R Us existed until maybe the mid 80s/90s? Don't really have a nostalgia for it.

Once you realize you might lose something you grew up with forever, the public will try to keep it alive.

Like all the locally owned corner drug stores and malt shops? The saddest part really is how Toys R Us instead of being the Walmart of Toys or Amazon of Toys just entirely failed it.

nightking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the right re-branding I could see them becoming quite profitable again. Add a large "Games 'R Us" section with card/board games and retro/modern video games and systems.

You are up to something. In the Games R Us section they can have customers rent physical games / consoles such as Wii, PS3, PS4, Xbox One/360. I don't want to buy a PS4 to play just exclusives. I rather rent it and play them all and rent Xbox One.

It can be like Blockbuster but for gaming only. If the price is right, this can bring in traffic to the stores.

They don't need too many stores. Too much rent and overhead costs. Just open a few places and monitor sales. Focus the online aspect and make free shipping and a fair return policy and you attract customers.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Watch them add themselves to Target's stores, like a Subway in a Walmart. I see them doing something that forces there products down your child's throat as soon as you walk in the store. I get they did that in there own stores but I think there business suffered because parents hate taking there kid to a store where you are almost guaranteed to see your kid have a melt down over shit they can't have.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can remember going to Toys-R-Us while visiting my aunt who lived in Baltimore, in 1971.

Yea, but that's sort of the thing. Toys R Us are limited to at least marginally bigger cities, so it's not like I had reason to be particularly aware of them unless someone brought me to one. There were other equally large toy store chains (KB Toys) with similar prices. Nothing about Toys R Us when I actually went there as an adult made me go "wow" vs any other toy store (like price or selection). So, I don't personally have the nostalgia for it. Maybe if I had an aunt who brought me there a couple times. :) Like the local drug store for a malt*.

* No, that didn't happen.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Funny. Didn't even know Toys R Us existed until maybe the mid 80s/90s? Don't really have a nostalgia for it.

Like all the locally owned corner drug stores and malt shops? The saddest part really is how Toys R Us instead of being the Walmart of Toys or Amazon of Toys just entirely failed it.
My mother can remember them from the early 70s, at the very least. It’s true they were likely in larger cities, but large cities tend to have a large population as well, full of people likely to know the name. As far as drug/malt shoppes go, there’s one that’s been here for about 120 years, and thrives on people going there and passing the tradition onto their kids, and it’s kept the store going for decades. You just have to find a niche and a fiercely loyal user base. Doesn’t always work though, no.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were other equally large toy store chains (KB Toys)

KB was NOTHING anywhere near TRU size, either in individual store sizes or sizes of the number of stores. KB stores were about the size of Gamestops, but again, individual stores, not in number of stores.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Man guess i was the only one happy to see them closed since they always overpriced things and their sales even in their bankrupt state were still barely enough to drop prices down to actual retail price area.

Although i wasnt one of the lucky kids who got to go to toys r us and get things i could only watch as other kids got whatever they wanted and instead was thrown a bible instead. Perhaps i just have a bad taste in my mouth from years of jeolousy and regret. Never could find that digimon d-tector after that one visit all those years ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night