Hacking Toukiden Kiwami - Want to start translation

Do you want an English translation for the Menu/Items/Quests/Equipment/etc?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zephir1991

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello guys. I would like to start an Toukiden Kiwami translation, but sadly, all i can offer right now, is time and some translation skills.

I want to create an English patch for all those PSP gamers. I know, we can just buy the Vita version, but not everyone got an Vita.

To start with, i have absolutely NO clue about hacking or Coding, all i can do is Translating and Testing if it works.

What i need right now is someone, who can create an Tool for me, to extract/reinsert the txt files and/or Images. So i can start translating the game.

I know, it´s not much i can offer, but hopefully, there is someone, who could help me, with such an tool. ^ ^,

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Dude you are helping at least.
I mean at least you know Japanese
How much Japanese l do you know?
Do you know all 3 languages
Kanji
Katagana
Hiragana( im learning this as I speak AH EE OO EH OH)

Zephir1991

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Know a bit from all 3. Translating and a bit Japanese speaking is not such a problem, but i can´t write that stuff. :c
But there is not so much to translate anyway, (just the Kiwami stuff) i can just use the English version of Toukiden to get most of the stuff from it. So, a damn big load of the work is already done, and i just need to find The japanese stuff and replace it with the already translated english stuff.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
This coming from someone from UK. Yikes.

I hope find a rom hacker

Know a bit from all 3. Translating and a bit Japanese speaking is not such a problem, but i can´t write that stuff. :c
But there is not so much to translate anyway, (just the Kiwami stuff) i can just use the English version of Toukiden to get most of the stuff from it. So, a damn big load of the work is already done, and i just need to find The japanese stuff and replace it with the already translated english stuff.

That's cool

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Errr... This project was previously picked by [USER]1NSaNe[/USER] that also translated a portion of Toukiden.

I know he is absent at the moment. I'm just pointing cuz I didn't see this being mentioned here, in case anyone doesn't know. Also, I recommend you read some posts on that thread, about MadEdit and stuff. This can help you until hackers appear.

Good luck, [USER]Zephir1991[/USER]!

Zephir1991

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you.

And yeah, i´ve already read all the posts 10x, but i really have absolutely no clue about MadEdit.(Already tryed it, but i can´t figure out, what to do with it. :shy: )
It´s a shame, that 1NSaNe is absent (hope everything is okay). But that´s the reason why i start a new Thread about Toukiden Kiwami.

The best possible solution would be, that 1NSaNe would be active again, so i could help with the translation. But there is nothing i can to, except waiting for an Coder in Golden Armor.

And i already know, where all the Files are. I can even extract them, but then, i can do nothing with them. They are just "Datas".

Reactions: Hargrun

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
UMDGen to extract the files from the iso
A hex editor with table support (mainly, Shift-JIS) like Crystaltile2 to edit the files, text mostly but anything else with a bit of work
UMD-Replace to re-insert the modified file in the iso

(MadEdit is a hex editor - You could try opening an English DS rom with it and try changing the first dialogue in a game with hello world - like this:
View attachment 12179
(I only used a hex editor for this)

)

But those are the bare basics.
And while you can indeed edit in English text this way, there's no guarantee this JP-only game is programmed to properly display English text with correct spacing/width, or displaying it at all (the font/the ascii text support).

You could easily know more about romhacking in general in the DS Translation subforum (check FAST's guide). The ideas can apply to every single console, the only console-specific stuff are some formats (but ways to modify them are universal), as well as assembly languages (when you actually need to modify the programming and not simply text/graphics/sound/stats). DS and NES games are generally (exceptions exist, naturally) the easiest to modify, and the better for a learning experience.

Reactions: Hargrun

Zephir1991

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you very much. After some hours of trying and testing, i´ve found some Datas that contains japanese text i can use.

drvg2hfnu8u.png

E:// Got another big Problem, i´ve extracted the Datas, that i need to translate with "356resource" an program from the other Toukiden thread. Extracting is not a problem, but i can´t place them inside the Data anymore, so i can´t test my work. :/

No clue, how to reinsert the Datas back into the.BIN file.
I guess i really need another guy for some tools, to extraxt/reinsert the Datas.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Well :/ It's a good thing you already can read what's inside the game files -
The hex editor itself is exactly what it says in the name: an editor.
The Japanese text you're seeing in the hex editor can be edited - and replaced with English (either ascii chars -normal english- or Shift-JIS latin chars -english written with JP language enabled on keyboard-) - Note that one ascii char takes 1 byte, while a Japanese char takes two. Try it to see.

but you can't write more than the existing bytes, or else the text will spill outside and irreversibly corrupt information outside of when the text ends.
Of course, if you pay attention at the left column while studying the non-text parts of the file, you can find the "where the text begins/ends" info, which is called pointers btw (look it up on rhdn). And modify it to allow you to write more text.
That's what that program from the other thread probably does.

You'll have to experiment until you get it right :)

As for how to reinsert the modified file in the ISO, you can use either UMDGen (after backing up a file table log list, re-inserting the file, then importing the file table log list), or the command-line but far more simple UMD-Replace.

Zephir1991

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nah, tryed all i can. I can´t place them into the .BIN data again. I even translated some stuff, and created an PPF patch to see if i can patch the Game this way (hoped it works somehow) but without luck. ^ ^" Really have no clue. Done all i can.

And GHANMI it doesn´t work with UMDGen. I´ve extracted the Data, that contains most of the Stuff i can translate with the "356resource" Programm from the other Toukiden Thread. (The Datas are inside the "LINKDATA_A.BIN" ) but i can´t put the Datas back Inside the .BIn data. Thats the Only problem i have, for now.
Couldn´t even test the stuff i translated.

The next big Problem could be that i need more bytes for the translation, but i will worry about that later.

So, need a Coder for some programms, to extract/reinsert the text datas property. And a way to extract/reinsert the PNG Datas, would be also nice.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
No, UMDGen and UMD-Replace is for when you want to reinsert modified stuff into the ISO and rebulid the iso.

Maybe that "356resource" was an extractor-only tool, and not actually an insertor.

Zephir1991

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, i know that, rebuilding the ISO is not such a big problem, but rebuilding the extracted .BIN file (where i got the translation stuff from) is my main problem right now.

Is there some stuff like a .BIN rebuilder?

1NSaNe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you.

And yeah, i´ve already read all the posts 10x, but i really have absolutely no clue about MadEdit.(Already tryed it, but i can´t figure out, what to do with it. :shy: )
It´s a shame, that 1NSaNe is absent (hope everything is okay). But that´s the reason why i start a new Thread about Toukiden Kiwami.

The best possible solution would be, that 1NSaNe would be active again, so i could help with the translation. But there is nothing i can to, except waiting for an Coder in Golden Armor.

And i already know, where all the Files are. I can even extract them, but then, i can do nothing with them. They are just "Datas".

Sorry for the afking ... I totally missed my threat but at least i received 3 replys from people ho want to translate. Thats very good. Maybe we can make a place for organisate this project? Is not very hard to translae compared to others, but few rules must be followed for avoid mistakes!

I need to make a " index" with all the stuff to be translated and will expain the process. Btw you dont need an extractor for this game (only needed for image translation).

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry for the afking ... I totally missed my threat but at least i received 3 replys from people ho want to translate. Thats very good. Maybe we can make a place for organisate this project? Is not very hard to translae compared to others, but few rules must be followed for avoid mistakes!

I need to make a " index" with all the stuff to be translated and will expain the process. Btw you dont need an extractor for this game (only needed for image translation).
Do you mind if I give you a hug? :lol:

I'm already in!

Zephir1991

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Heyho.

Didn´t had much time over the weekend to answer you. :c

But it´s simple to get to the text. Just extract the "LINKDATA_A.BIN" and open this file with Madedit or crystaltile2. And there u have all the text.
Well, thanks to insane, for this part, didn´t tought, that all the text is inside a single file.

But it´s such a damn mess inside. It´s really no fun to search for a single word. xD
And the other problem is, i can´t touch the 00 files, so it´s hard to translate it right. :c

Xenith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is it too late to vote a yes on this translation? :O Just recently found this game and i'm interested in playing sadly. I can't read it. Any news? :o

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok well, I did decide to put a script together, but fuck me it's a mess, a big mess, and as such I'm not really supporting it: http://pastebin.com/b51XiDxf

Lots of usages:

script.py -e1 [linkdata.bin]
Extracts the named linkdata.
script.py -e2 [infile]
Extracts a single text file (after using -e1) into a editable .txt file. You'll have to find the text files yourself. Here's a list of some: 4,5,13-21,26
script.py -c1 [infolder] [linkdata.bin]
Imports the files from [infolder] into the [linkdata.bin]. This one just appends the files to the end and changes the offsets. It's faster than a full build, but the linkdata size will keep going up.
script.py -c2 [infolder]
Creates a new linkdata from the files in [infolder]. The output linkdata name is based on the folder name. Use this if you want a full new build.
script.py -a1 [infile]
Compiles a decompiled .txt back into .bin. Use it after -e2

pLmBBE1.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended