Touchscreen broke after shell replacement.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Searinox, Jul 25, 2008.

Jul 25, 2008
  1. Searinox
    OP

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    I replaced my DS' shell, I must say it was hell and it lasted ten hours without breaks. My back hurts. And no, my reward isn't the desired one apparently: the DS touchscreen no longer functions. First time I turned it on the touchscreen worked for about 10 seconds then stopped. I tried rearranging that ROTTEN 4pin ribbon cable but got nothing good outta it. I'm sure it's the cable, and it seems pretty bent. I don't know where to start looking for solutions and I'd rather not start at an online store shopping for replacement parts, so PLEASE any help is greatly appreciated. MY biggest problem is that I dunno HOW to get the damn cablr ALL the way in, it's so small and it bentit won't go deep enough into the slot.

Also, the top screen sometimes turns off when opening and closing, however I've not completly assembled the DS so it's not well in place could jusit be the free movement. But the ribbon cable is very messed up from twisting and pulling through that little hinge hole.

2. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    The touchscreen connector is a smaller version of the screen clips. Flip up the brown tab, insert cable, flip tab down. It should be easy to insert all the way with the tab up.

3. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    That's the problem, it won't insert more than less than a quarter of the way.

4. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I broke mine too trying to replace the shell. I even tried soldering wires into the holes (follow the traces a bit) and then attaching those to the ribbon, but no luck. I decided to like my blue ds phat again.

5. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    The front part of the connectors' coating came off. They are now bare. By now I would SO go to a store and buy one if I had one close by. If I order another touchscreen I'll have to wait ANOTHER MONTH.

6. epicelite

Member epicelite Equal opportunity ass kicker.

United States
  7. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    Why is your touchscreen ribbon all bent up? Swapping the shell shouldn't involve borking up the ribbon. However if it is all bent and creased, I suggest using a pair of tweezers to safely guide the ribbon into the slot, and then a precision flathead screwdriver to push the ribbon in. Don't forget, the brown 'latch' on the ribbon connector flips up, and you'll need to flip it up to get that ribbon in!

And holy cow, 10 hours! My first time was 3 hours... now the process takes under an hour [​IMG]

8. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    Forget the touchscreen cable, now I have a bigger problem. The upper screen IS all bent and creased and it's losing signal when opened at certain angles.

9. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada

...Maybe you should have gotten a professional to do it.

Your best bet is to sell it for parts, and get a new DS lite, this time *without* modding it [​IMG]

10. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    Why not just buy 2 displays instead of getting a new DS?

11. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    You can replace the screens. Just be prepared to be disappointed in the quality of the replacements. And for the top screen the speakers must be desoldered off the old one and resoldered to the new one.

12. Searinox
    OP

Romania
    I give up. they're fubar'd. I shoved the disassembled DS into a box and I'll wait for my replacements. -.=.- Bad quality huh? Been reading about that. Apparently not too much to worry about, aside from those damned dead pixels. They better be worth the wait and EMS shipping.

The DS ribbon cable of the upper screen is EXTREMLY difficult to get through the hinge without twisting it badly. Has anyone done it through a method that minimizes twisting and damage?