Hacking Touch screen malfunctioning after using R4DS?

joepie91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have been using an R4DS for over a year now. A few months ago, my touch screen started to malfunction. If I press the center, it works fine. The farther I go to the left, the bigger the move to the left is. Same for touching the right side. Clarifying picture:
dxfdw9.png

When calibrating, it keeps failing every time. The calibrating keeps restarting, because obviously it can't find a pattern.
When I touch exactly one line to the right of every box though, it aligns. But of course that would mean my screen is calibrated too much to the left.

I posted this in the R4DS section since 2 of my friends (who also have an original R4DS, just like me) have the same problem.
I am using 1 Kingston 2GB MicroSD card, and 2 Dane-Elec 2GB MicroSD cards. The problem occurred before I bought the Dane-Elec cards though.
I am fairly sure my R4DS is original.

Of course I can buy a replacement part for the touch screen from DealExtreme, but that would have the risk of damaging the rest of the DS.
If anybody has a solution (or knows an existing topic about this, the search function on GBATemp doesn't give very related results), please tell me
smile.gif

Greetz,
joepie91

Kamika

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I believe you can calibrate your DS' touch screen in the options menu of the DS. The R4 could have been messing with the calibration options of your touch screen to make this happen.

joepie91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kamika said:
I believe you can calibrate your DS' touch screen in the options menu of the DS. The R4 could have been messing with the calibration options of your touch screen to make this happen.

QUOTEWhen calibrating, it keeps failing every time. The calibrating keeps restarting, because obviously it can't find a pattern.
When I touch exactly one line to the right of every box though, it aligns. But of course that would mean my screen is calibrated too much to the left.
I already tried that
smile.gif

I have been trying for hours (not kidding) and it just wouldn't align. It seems that there is something wrong with the hardware, especially since the direction in which it differs varies, according to what part of the screen you are pressing. The more you go to the left, the more it differs to the left side, and same with the right. I am getting kinda used to my broken screen (I can control most applications with no problems, after about 6 months with a broken touchscreen, you "remap" the touchscreen positions in your mind
tongue.gif
) but it's quite a problem for drawing, typing, and other precision applications (especially for the bonus stages in Sonic Rush, and a lot of homebrew).

Kamika

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, I probably overlooked that part ^^" I highly doubt that the R4 is the cause of it because software is not capable of breaking hardware. It could be that all the DS of you and your friends may have come from the same series (by series I mean the system ID number that's printed on the bottom of the DS).

D

Deleted-119707

i have the same problem. i think its either the touch screen needs replacing, or loose cables, or debris... i dont have money or experience to replace the screen. so i just leave it as it is... and got used to it. its annoying though!

joepie91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I only heard R4DS users complaining about this, and one of my friends had a phat DS, and the other had a Lite. So it can't be because it's the same batch
tongue.gif

Anyways, what would be the way to fix this, instead of getting a new touchscreen?

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IIRC there was a better calibrating program, i think that helped some people, you should search it up.

Or, you could try sending it back to Nintendo if your warranty is still going on.

joepie91

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
BakuFunn said:
IIRC there was a better calibrating program, i think that helped some people, you should search it up.

Or, you could try sending it back to Nintendo if your warranty is still going on.

It's 2+ years old, so I don't think they are going to replace it.

Master_SL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Checked the sides of the touch screen, just under the plastic edges and clean it out. It may be some dust is stuck in there. It happened to me once.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Taking more time to load the page than to fire up the paper towel is an issue
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's worse is the dinosaur game popping up when the lotion comes out
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You use paper towels too? :rofl2:
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Better keep the safe place 'safe'
    Bounty. The quicker picker upper? lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Aloe vera now with rgb
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Females have burnt me worse