Hacking touch screen cover replacement?

bclowe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anybody know where and if i can buy/replace the clear plastic cover for the touch screen?

i let my friend use my ds and he scratched the crap out of the screen...

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Do you mean screen protectors? Try the Hori ones, they're the best. You can find them in DS accessory stores or online, probably dealextreme has them, I don't know, haven't checked in a while.

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The touch screen actually has another cover over it. It's the cover that gets scratched (The cover that you try to protect with another cover, lol) I want a replacement as well. I think it's called a digitizer

bclowe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mflo said:
The touch screen actually has another cover over it. It's the cover that gets scratched (The cover that you try to protect with another cover, lol) I want a replacement as well. I think it's called a digitizer
exactly what im taling about

QUOTE(SavageWaffle @ Apr 10 2008, 05:03 PM) dealextreme.com

on their site, i noticed that they have them included in the complete shell replacement, but did you see them by themselves?

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bclowe said:
mflo said:

on their site, i noticed that they have them included in the complete shell replacement, but did you see them by themselves?
Why not just buy the whole shell replacement?

genuisgeek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think they have a touch screen ndsl replacement and a "lower screen LCD"
the difference is that the touch is under the cover LCD screen like mflo said
so just buy a lcd screen replacement

if ur touch screen isnt broken then i think u need this

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3175

luckily since its bottom screen its easier to install

good luck!
p.s. use a screen protector HORI prefered

bclowe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkAura said:
bclowe said:
mflo said:

Why not just buy the whole shell replacement?

i was thinking about it, but i heard it's extremely hard to put together, is there a tutorial somewhere on this site? or another site?

genuisgeek

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dont worry i dont think its that hard
since its only the bottom its easier cuz u dont have to worry about the LCD cable in the hinge "wooh!"
theres one on youtube that talks about disassembling the dsl its for the full thing but u can go halfway since ur only doing bottom

goodluck

LesMcQueen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The issue here is that the touch-screen is part of a 'sandwich' between the LCD screen, a layer of acrylic, and the bezel/frame.
This has to be prised apart and reassembled.

I'm still in two minds whether to have a go myself (Replacement touch-screen should be here any day now) or to just send it back to Nintendo and pay the £30.50.

All the disassembly guides show the DS being stripped down to the touch-screen, but stop short of showing the LCD/Touch-screen/Acrylic sheet being taken apart.

acoustic.digital

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
so whats the actual touchscreen material? i have a problem that a fluid is stuck between my touchscreen; i thought it was water but a chinese friend of mine said that he changed the screen once in his ds and that it isnt water in my screen, but liquid crystal from the lcd! i said naah can't be, cos the lcd screen still works fine, and therefore he replied that even the touchscreen has a 'liquid layer', and that'd be leaking in my case. does anybody know anything about that?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
LesMcQueen said:
The issue here is that the touch-screen is part of a 'sandwich' between the LCD screen, a layer of acrylic, and the bezel/frame.
This has to be prised apart and reassembled.

I'm still in two minds whether to have a go myself (Replacement touch-screen should be here any day now) or to just send it back to Nintendo and pay the £30.50.

All the disassembly guides show the DS being stripped down to the touch-screen, but stop short of showing the LCD/Touch-screen/Acrylic sheet being taken apart.

No.
Its one LCD screen on the bottom and the touchscreen is the little seethrough pane directly on top of it.
Its not "sandwiched" between anything, unless you have a screen protector.

LesMcQueen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
xcalibur said:
No.
Its one LCD screen on the bottom and the touchscreen is the little seethrough pane directly on top of it.

Ah, I see now. Other guide talk of an acrylic sheet. Maybe they mean the actual touch membrane.
So it's a case of....

1. Strip down the DS to the LCD/Touch-screen.
2. Peel apart the touch-screen from the LCD
3. Replace with the Glass TS from DealExtreme
and possibly refit the bezel.

Does that sound right?

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
LesMcQueen said:
xcalibur said:
No.

Ah, I see now. Other guide talk of an acrylic sheet. Maybe they mean the actual touch membrane.
So it's a case of....

1. Strip down the DS to the LCD/Touch-screen.
2. Peel apart the touch-screen from the LCD
3. Replace with the Glass TS from DealExtreme
and possibly refit the bezel.

Does that sound right?

Yep.

LesMcQueen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Found some more useful info.

RepairNdsl5-303x259.jpg

The photo does seem to show that the touch element is sandwiched between the LCD and the protective shield.

More useful stuff here --> http://site.powergamingparts.com/RepairNdsl.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol