Totally fine open, but Error 07 when reassembled. Thoughts?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this one seems to persist to puzzle me.

It's a 1.6 Xbox, got it soft-modded and cleaned up, got a modestly bigger hard drive in it. Here's the deal.

Whenever I have its top off, "disassembled", it boots up immediately, no issues, loads games fine.

But every single time, without exception, when I have it sealed and looking factory, I try to boot up to it and it just gives me Error 07, every time. Tried swapping the IDE cable for one from another Xbox console and still getting the same result. Tried re-seating everything more times than I care to, but I get the same result.

What can I do to make this bugger behave?

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Replace the original 40 wire cable with a 80 wire one.

The 80 wire cable is much faster and works fine with bigger Size hard drives, while the 40 wire cable doesn’t.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't find a single one of said cable that's even long enough. :( And even if, another problem is that the xbox's notched connectors are basically upside-down compared to literally every IDE cable I have that came from a PC. So, I'm not sure what or how to proceed. :(

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
All IDE cables (PC and Xbox) are the same, there is just the difference between 40 wire and 80 wire.

The 40 wire cable just support Ultra DMA 2 (max 33,3 MB/s)

The 80 wire cable is much faster and support:
Ultra DMA 4 (max 66,6 MB/s)
Ultra DMA 5 (max 100 MB/s)
Ultra DMA 6 (max 133 MB/s)

if you use a HDD which doesn't support Ultra DMA 2 your HDD won't work correctly with a 40 wire IDE cable.

In my case: i use an IDE to SATA converter where i also had issues with the standard Xbox 40 wire cable, so i replaced it with a 80 wire cable from an old PC of mine and everything works fine.

an example how the difference optical looks like, if you don't know it yet.

btw: the color doesn't matter

80_40.jpg

EDIT: if one Side is to short try to connect the short side to the the mainboard and DVD Drive, the long side will be connected to the HDD, maybe this works for you :-)

Last edited by Ferris1000,

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
it works anyway, trust me, just connect it, Pin 1 is pin 1 and pin 40 is pin 40, i upgraded more than 10 Consoles last year

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, that means that I basically have to try and find more cables. And today I was able to head to Fry's Electronics, but the most they had was the ability to try and make my own IDE cables. Unfortunately, all they had were 40wire cables... no 80-wire in stock.

It does seem silly to try to buy them online though. Unless I can get them really cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
    AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78: Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit...