ROM Hack Total noob looking for help

Viktor Eriksson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi!

Im a total noob at this and want to know where to start.

My goal is to be able to randomize pokemon X/Y and ORAS, but I dont know where to start.
Have been looking around internet and have found out that i need to do a romhack which look to be easiest done with homebrew and i think it was HANS.

My 3DSXL is on firmware 7.2.0-10E and I can make an Emunand from that. Can start homebrew with cubic ninja. But if I use cubic ninja I will have to change cart and Im not sure if that work with homebrew up. Also if you recommend me to upgrade Sysnand from 7.2 to 9.2 and if you recommend to upgrade Emunand to latest firmware.

Basicly my question is, where do I start and I wouldnt like to customice sysnand if not needed. Thinking about trying to put a homebrew .cia on sysnand tho.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just use browserhax as an entry-point to homebrew
just place the Homebrew kit on the SD card, and use the browserhax QR code.
their console is on 7.2.0-10. they can't use browserhax right now.

@Viktor Eriksson you should update emunand to the latest version, and preferably sysnand to 9.2.0-20. then you won't need to use cubic ninja. with emunand you can keep using CIAs and whatnot, even on the latest firmware. as it stands it's probably going to be hard to use any kind of romhacks.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update-(rxTools-3.0)

OldGlass

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
their console is on 7.2.0-10. they can't use browserhax right now.

@Viktor Eriksson you should update emunand to the latest version, and preferably sysnand to 9.2.0-20. then you won't need to use cubic ninja. with emunand you can keep using CIAs and whatnot, even on the latest firmware. as it stands it's probably going to be hard to use any kind of romhacks.

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update-(rxTools-3.0)

oh, then never mind. I thought any system firmware below 10.6 can use browserhax, but I guess that's not true.

Viktor Eriksson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeah, now my 3ds wont allow me to access gateway. somehow it crashed... I think i have a nand backup from 4.5. if I get gateway to work, is it possible do downgrade sysnand with gateway or do I have to put it apart and conect it the console with my computer?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, now my 3ds wont allow me to access gateway. somehow it crashed... I think i have a nand backup from 4.5. if I get gateway to work, is it possible do downgrade sysnand with gateway or do I have to put it apart and conect it the console with my computer?
do you have a gateway red card? you don't need to use the GW menu right now. what are you trying to do?

please don't downgrade it to 4.5.0-10. based on your version (7.2.0-10), you can update to 9.2.0-20 with the guide linked to above.

Viktor Eriksson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have both red and blue gateway card. What I wanted to do earlier was downgrade the emunand to 7.2 and acsess homebrew by webpage. But, homebrew hasnt been acceceble on 7.2 as you described earlier, at least not on sysnand.
Now homebrew hasnt been acceceble some tries.

Where I stand now I will try to upgrade sysnand to 9.2.0-20 and start over from there as long as this 7.2 version fails me.
Or do you think I should do it some other way?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I wanted to do earlier was downgrade the emunand to 7.2 and acsess homebrew by webpage.
why are you trying to downgrade emunand to 7.2?
Where I stand now I will try to upgrade sysnand to 9.2.0-20 and start over from there as long as this 7.2 version fails me.
Or do you think I should do it some other way?
the best things to do would probably be to update sysnand to 9.2.0-20, then update emunand to the latest version.

Viktor Eriksson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
why are you trying to downgrade emunand to 7.2?

the best things to do would probably be to update sysnand to 9.2.0-20, then update emunand to the latest version.

My firmware is 7.2 and I want to get to 9.2. (Reading your link now and will follow it later today or tomorrow).

Ok, thanks. Here is where i was lost. So best thing is to 1. Fix sysnand 9.2.0-20, then emunand newest firmware. 2. hack the rom and then randomize pokemon? (Have all the original games. Want to try to make them harder).

Also, have newer got homebrew to work on sysnand. It should work on both sysnand and emunand?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, thanks. Here is where i was lost. So best thing is to 1. Fix sysnand 9.2.0-20, then emunand newest firmware. 2. hack the rom and then randomize pokemon? (Have all the original games. Want to try to make them harder).
yes, that should be fine.
Also, have newer got homebrew to work on sysnand. It should work on both sysnand and emunand?
I'm sorry, I don't understand?

Viktor Eriksson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With homebrew I hope to be able to use a program, (I think it was braindump) to be able to hack the rom. But, when i was using gateway emunand I had to use cubic ninja to open homebrew when browser hax didnt work. (Maby not supported).

Thats why I was thinking with homebrew on the SD card, it should be acceceble regardless if sysnand or emunand is used?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With homebrew I hope to be able to use a program, (I think it was braindump) to be able to hack the rom. But, when i was using gateway emunand I had to use cubic ninja to open homebrew when browser hax didnt work. (Maby not supported).
there is hblauncher_loader, which runs *hax. the same thing that browserhax and ninjhax run. you can install this in emunand.

https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases/download/v1.1/hblauncher_loader_v1.1.zip

Viktor Eriksson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This bugs me. Every time I enter the url my 3ds goes back to home screen and tells me an error has occured. Am I doing something wrong?

Is it an idea to format everything and start from scratch again?

Last edited by Viktor Eriksson,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Viktor Eriksson

Viktor Eriksson

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Will try this tomorrow. When I empty the SD card, is it worth format so its compleatly empty? (When I put it in the console it wants to make an nintendo folder. I hope that is ok?

Also, when I back up sysnand 2 files creates. Only the one named sysnand.bin is supposed to be deleated?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will try this tomorrow. When I empty the SD card, is it worth format so its compleatly empty? (When I put it in the console it wants to make an nintendo folder. I hope that is ok?

Also, when I back up sysnand 2 files creates. Only the one named sysnand.bin is supposed to be deleated?
no need to format right now, it won't help anything.

sysNAND.bin and sysNAND.bin.sha? yes you can delete both from the SD card once backed up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16