TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!

I am totally new to the homebrew, custom firmware scene. I've had a DSTWO before but that's as far as it goes.

I currently have an old 3DS XL on 7.1. My goal is to carry all my 3DS games, DS games, and ideally GBA, Gameboy Color, Gameboy, SNES, and NES games all on my device with just one card while still being able to play games online. Is this even possible?

I've looked into the DSTWO+ and that seems like it would do what I need, except for the playing online part. Does emuNAND solve that problem?

Again, I really don't know anything about this stuff and I'm not expecting someone to reply with a complete guide, I'm just looking to be guided in the right direction.

Thanks!

Splosionz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is 100% possible. I would personally run the GBC, GB, SNES, and NES games on emulators, install the 3DS and GBA games as cias on my emuNAND, and then purchase an R4 card to play my DS games. The upside to installing GBA games to your emuNAND instead of emulating them is that they will all run at full speed because they are being run on actual GBA hardware that was built into the 3DS. However, the downside is that they have to be installed to both sysNAND and emuNAND to work, which means they will take up twice the space on your SD card. EmuNAND on an O3DS can be upgraded to the latest firmware so you should be able to play online without any problems. For online play with 3DS games, I would definitely recommend using installed CIAs over 3DS roms and a flash cart because you are much more likely to get your NNID banned when using 3DS roms unless they are your own personally dumped games. Afaik, there have been no reports of anyone being banned for playing CIAs.

TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is 100% possible. I would personally run the GBC, GB, SNES, and NES games on emulators, install the 3DS and GBA games as cias on my emuNAND, and then purchase an R4 card to play my DS games. The upside to installing GBA games to your emuNAND instead of emulating them is that they will all run at full speed because they are being run on actual GBA hardware that was built into the 3DS. However, the downside is that they have to be installed to both sysNAND and emuNAND to work, which means they will take up twice the space on your SD card. EmuNAND on an O3DS can be upgraded to the latest firmware so you should be able to play online without any problems. For online play with 3DS games, I would definitely recommend using installed CIAs over 3DS roms and a flash cart because you are much more likely to get your NNID banned when using 3DS roms unless they are your own personally dumped games. Afaik, there have been no reports of anyone being banned for playing CIAs.
Cool! So where would you recommend I begin? I don't even know what cias or emuNAND really is so I have no idea where to start. Also, which R4 card would you suggest?

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool! So where would you recommend I begin? I don't even know what cias or emuNAND really is so I have no idea where to start. Also, which R4 card would you suggest?
"Setting up 9.0-9.2 tutorial for N3DS"
Go look in tutorial section for this.
Will work just fine for o3ds
. Provided you do it If you need anymore help just ask !
You need to upgrade to 9.2 first though.

Last edited by bbcali89,

pofer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Splosionz

Splosionz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

First thing you should do is to start doing a lot of reading. It will only benefit you to know as much about things like Custom Firmware, emuNAND, sysNAND, and CIAs as possible. Read through this guide and familiarize yourself with what it's talking about. Google terms that you don't understand. And as for a flash cart, I would suggest an "R4 SDHC 3DS RTS". They are only really good for playing NDS roms but they are cheap and easy to come by.

Last edited by Splosionz,

TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Setting up 9.0-9.2 tutorial for N3DS"
Go look in tutorial section for this.
Will work just fine for o3ds
. Provided you do it If you need anymore help just ask !
You need to upgrade to 9.2 first though.
Found it!

I'm a little confused on how to upgrade to 9.2 though. Is there a tutorial for that as well?

What exactly will this tutorial allow me to do? I'm still confused about what CFW, EmuNAND, Coldboot, and CIA are.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

all you need to know is here

first of all , get faimiliar with CFW here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/3ztqqv/all_you_need_to_know_by_popular_demand/

once you're somewhat familiarized with it follow this guide:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/

I'd recomend you to update to 9.2(using the same guide, it's somewhere at the bottom of the OP) if you want to inmediatly boot on your emunand =)

Great. Thanks!

First thing you should do is to start doing a lot of reading. It will only benefit you to know as much about things like Custom Firmware, emuNAND, sysNAND, and CIAs as possible. Read through this guide and familiarize yourself with what it's talking about. Google terms that you don't understand. And as for a flash cart, I would suggest an "R4 SDHC 3DS RTS". They are only really good for playing NDS roms but they are cheap and easy to come by.

Cool. I will read that over and look into that cart. Thanks!

pofer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend you to follow that guide you just posted, That's for the N3DS And I think you just stated that you have an O3DS, some homebrew files like reinand are exclusively for the New 3DS

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't recommend you to follow that guide you just posted, That's for the N3DS And I think you just stated that you have an O3DS, some homebrew files like reinand are exclusively for the New 3DS
Ah when i used it it used rxtools. This is true. I can help you setup easily. Through pm if you wish. Op

TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first thing first

3DS NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

second

DO NOT GET DSTWO+ , unless you want your 3DS get bricked
the 3DS is not ideal to play GBA and SNES games, get N3DS to do that.
Interesting. I've had a regular DSTWO before and the SNES and GBA games worked perfectly.

Ah when i used it it used rxtools. This is true. I can help you setup easily. Through pm if you wish. Op
I would appreciate that! I'm waiting on my SD card to get here before I start doing anything so I'll probably contact you once I'm ready to start.

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I've had a regular DSTWO before and the SNES and GBA games worked perfectly.

I would appreciate that! I'm waiting on my SD card to get here before I start doing anything so I'll probably contact you once I'm ready to start.

Sounds good. Let me know. :D

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt the only way to get to 9.2 is smash update on cart ?

I suppose there might be a outdated way to go -> cfw on lower than 9.0 through -> sysupdater after cfw.

But honestly. I advise just updating to 10.3. And downgrading.
However. You gotta be careful to make sure you do everything right. Or you will brick your system. (Downgrading)

Last edited by bbcali89,

TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good. Let me know. :D

Correct me if i am wrong but isnt the only way to get to 9.2 is smash update on cart ?

I suppose there might be a outdated way to go -> cfw on lower than 9.0 through -> sysupdater after cfw.

But honestly. I advise just updating to 10.3. And downgrading.
However. You gotta be careful to make sure you do everything right. Or you will brick your system. (Downgrading)
I thought downgrading was supposed to be a really arduous process?

bbcali89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought downgrading was supposed to be a really arduous process?
Its not. If you arent a idiot. Lol

Downgrading is super easy
Provided you got the right files. The right updater
And the right way to launch it.

:)

TheOnlyJonto

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its not. If you arent a idiot. Lol

Downgrading is super easy
Provided you got the right files. The right updater
And the right way to launch it.

:)
Great! I even saw people say it was impossible. I guess those people are just crazy :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol