Total newb question, but how easy is it to hack a PS Vita today?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by DrkrZen, May 11, 2017.

1. DrkrZen
    OP

DrkrZen Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2013
    United States
    I've loved my PSP for as long as I can remember. Ever since 2007, its pretty much been an on-the-go emulator machine for me, from NES thru PSX, as well as backing up my PSP collection to the point that I only ever keep one UMD inside.

That said, if I were to go out and buy a Vita today, how easy would it be to get all the above going on the system?

In all honesty, if I could simply get all that going fairly easily, plus snag a copy of Borderlands 2 and pop it in, I'd be in hog heaven.

Anywho, are there any models to avoid or 3 point somethings to avoid and the like?

Thanks in advance!

2. Erfg1

Erfg1 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    Has to be on firmware version 3.60. There is no way to downgrade. If you buy a brand new one it will be below version 3.60 so you can update to 3.60.

You just navigate your Vita's web browser to a URL and press the install button. Then done. It's temporary so when you restart your device you have to do this again. Till july 29th I guess https://enso.henkaku.xyz/

All versions of the console can do this. There are homebrew apps that let you back up your games or play backed up copies of games.

Last edited by Erfg1, May 11, 2017
    gnmmarechal likes this.
  3. DrkrZen
    OP

DrkrZen Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2013
    United States
    Ah, alrighty. Thanks for the info. :)

flavio likes this.
  4. faurog

faurog Newbie

Newcomer
    May 10, 2017
    Brazil
    Up to firmware 3.60 you have the holy grail. Anything after that is a bit limited. Until 3.63 you can also use ARK, an emulated PSP custom firmware to play PSP backups (and PS1 backups without sound), but on the latest 3.65 you are even more limited, as you pretty much can only use VHBL, a PSP homebrew launcher to use emulators and PSP homebrews. You can also install custom themes in all versions, using Yifan Lu's psvimgtools, an app that brings some light to those who updated their firmware beyond 3.60. As Erfg1 said, try to pick a brand new PS Vita, because all new ones, except for some late Japanese PS Vitas (afaik), come with a firmware that allows you to use Henkaku. All brand new Playstation TVs can also be used, as they were discontinued before the release of newer updates (3.61, 3.63 and 3.65). I hope it helps. Cheers.

Last edited by faurog, May 11, 2017
    DrkrZen likes this.
  5. DrkrZen
    OP

DrkrZen Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2013
    United States
    Thanks again, for the further info.