Toshinden coming back! On the Wii!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by CockroachMan, Oct 15, 2008.

Oct 15, 2008
  1. CockroachMan
    OP

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Another forgotten IP coming back, on the Wii!

When the first 3D fighting started to appear, someone decided to get Virtua Fighter and add a sword to the mix, and Toshinden was born, the Playstation games were pretty cool (specially the 3rd one). Not many details are available, unless you know japanese (in that case please tell us!).

[​IMG]

source: http://gonintendo.com/?p=59381

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Battle Arena Toshinden was sort of just decent for me, though I did really enjoy the Gameboy game.

The screens kinda look a bit Dreamcasty though but then they are magazine scans so could look better.

There is a lack of serious 3D fighters for the Wii so its welcoming I just hope the gameplay is gimick free.

3. psycoblaster

Member psycoblaster Divine

Korea, South
    Toshinden coming back! *clicks on post*
    On the Wii! *walks away*

4. ShadowXP

Member ShadowXP ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

United Kingdom
    battle arena toshinden was awesome hadrian [​IMG] i think there was another PSX one as well but i've never played it... got a feeling this wii version will probably such though

5. CockroachMan
    OP

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    You know, it was 1995, the only 3D fighting games around were VF and Tekken, by that time, the game was considered great just for being 3D, also, if I remember well.. Toshinden graphics were less blocky then the other 3D fighting games at the time. But yeah, overall, if you look back at it today, it was good but nothing special..

Unfortunately, all the characters in the old games had swords, and it's on the Wii so.. I hope there's an optional gimmick free mode at least..

I'm starting to see a pattern here, all those "core" games coming to the Wii.. Tenchu, Klonoa, Toshinden, Fatal Frame.. those franchises are not bad, but they are mostly "underdogs", I think the reason they are coming to the Wii is that, there they have almost no competition and can shine more than they would on the other consoles where they would be overshadowed by bigger productions like Resident Evil and Soul Calibur.

6. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    I believe there were 4 Toshinden games on the PS1. I know I owned the first 3. The PS1 was the last console I owned.

My favorite character was Sofia. I always laughed when she did here bitch-slap move. One day, I want to use that move as a gif in my sig or something.....just as soon as I can find an efficient way of capturing the maneuver.

Too bad it will be for the Wii and not the DS. [​IMG]

7. Tigerstar

Newcomer Tigerstar Advanced Member

I remember the original Toshinden with a fondness - I even preferred it over Tekken because it actually used 3D in allowing the characters to dodge left and right (into and out of the screen), whereas Tekken still felt like a 2D fighter with 3D graphics. I suspect there's a bit of rose-tinting on my memories of it though - I dusted off my copy of the original Soul Edge/Blade game some months back, and realised how even very polished titles of their time can seem laughably clunky by today's standards. I shall watch for Wii Toshinden with interest nonetheless though.

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    It could turn out to be good... either way, the Wii demands more fighting games! I have really high hopes for Castlevania Judgement D:

9. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    Ah Toshinden..I loved that game. Do want on Wii [​IMG]