Torrent Speed Question

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why is it that private sites give such better speeds? I have 26 seeds (connected to 7) from Demonoid, and it is downloading at ~20kB/s, when if I had the same amount of seeders from TorrentLeech, I would get ~350kB/s? What causes the difference?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not the sites that determine the upload speeds, it's the uploader/their connection. You could be connected 1 seeder uploading at 300KB/s and another uploading at 5KB/s, for example. It also might just be people with faster upload speeds join the private sites.

(isn't Demonoid a private tracker too?)

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, but that being said, I could have 100 seeders at Demonoid, and that will never go past 100kB/s. I can max out my connection with only a few seeders from my private sites

Demonoid is semi-private

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
science said:
Yeah, but that being said, I could have 100 seeders at Demonoid, and that will never go past 100kB/s. I can max out my connection with only a few seeders from my private sites

Demonoid is semi-private

Because of Up/down ratio restrictions on private sites, people are generally more careful to try and get as best an upload as they can, for as long as they can. This results in the higher speeds, and thus is the purpose of having the site private.

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mewgia said:
science said:

Demonoid is semi-private

Because of Up/down ratio restrictions on private sites, people are generally more careful to try and get as best an upload as they can, for as long as they can. This results in the higher speeds, and thus is the purpose of having the site private.

Oh, so people are limiting their upload speeds... its so obvious now! Thanks

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On many sites, like blackcats, the top uploaders have very high speed seedboxes (servers they rent just to seed) and add many torrents to them.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
science said:
Mewgia said:
science said:

Demonoid is semi-private

Oh, so people are limiting their upload speeds... its so obvious now! Thanks
Yeah. Any torrents I grab from public sites I limit to 20kpbs up, but all of my private stuff can take the full 55kbps up ( D: ) if they need it. A lot of people do stuff like that, I think.

[edit] I also stop any public torrents once the ratio reaches 1-3, depending on how many seeds it has and how much I like the torrent. Otherwise all I would have is a bunch of public torrents taking up all of my up bandwidth, a little bit at a time...

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow
I always have my settings to give unlimited speed to anyone on all my torrents
also as many people as possible
i'mma go limit it since i only use public and everyone else limits it so why should i give them priviledge

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I pretty much leave upload/download on unlimited.
My reasoning is that if I upload it for someone else, then a seeder won't have to do it can might upload it for me.
smile.gif

Also I have slow internet. 30 to 40 kb/s
frown.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PaperPlane said:
wow
I always have my settings to give unlimited speed to anyone on all my torrents
also as many people as possible
i'mma go limit it since i only use public and everyone else limits it so why should i give them priviledge

I doubt that many people do it like me, most people on public sites aren't on private sites and therefor don't bother limiting anything.

I didn't until my BC ratio got too low for me...

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Blackcats, is it true that they're going to ban you if you have at least one torrent that's count as a Hit & Run? Because I have two torrents I downloaded from there, and no one ever seems to download them... The seed points don't seem to be counted in, I've seeded well over 3 days.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Private sites are nice, as you generally get fast uploading. I couldn't give a damn about public torrents. If I need to move the file, I don't want to have to have it twice on my PC, takes up too much room.
So yeah, I always care on private trackers, as it's just a better governed system. I treat public sites pretty much just like a download server. That's just how I roll lol
tongue.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nin10doFan said:
For Blackcats, is it true that they're going to ban you if you have at least one torrent that's count as a Hit & Run? Because I have two torrents I downloaded from there, and no one ever seems to download them... The seed points don't seem to be counted in, I've seeded well over 3 days.

They won't ban you as long as you're active.

But the seedpoints should kick in - you just have to have seeded for 72 hours in total. That doesn't mean that if you downloaded the torrent 3 days ago and seeded on and off since then you will get it, it means that you have to be connected to the network with that torrent uploading for 72 hours.
Check your SP overview in your profile for a rundown of what you still need to do to get seedpoints. but that should be all.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mewgia said:
Nin10doFan said:

But the seedpoints should kick in - you just have to have seeded for 72 hours in total. That doesn't mean that if you downloaded the torrent 3 days ago and seeded on and off since then you will get it, it means that you have to be connected to the network with that torrent uploading for 72 hours.
Check your SP overview in your profile for a rundown of what you still need to do to get seedpoints. but that should be all.

Yeah, I know... It says seeds points are enabled, but nothing happens to my ratio.
frown.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nin10doFan said:
Mewgia said:
Nin10doFan said:

Yeah, I know... It says seeds points are enabled, but nothing happens to my ratio.
frown.gif
Did you check the SP overview? It gives a complete breakdown of what you still need to do, it doesn't just say that they are enabled. Seed/leech ratio, size, completion ratio, time you've been seeding, ect are all in there. "View SP overview" is right under where it shows your IP in your profile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay