Torrent program on HDD MP3 player?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Harsky, Feb 5, 2007.

Feb 5, 2007
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I want to install a torrent program on my Vision M (since it has a large portion of space not being used) so I can use it at my relative's house who has a much faster internet speed than me and then I'll plug the player into his PC and then run the program. Only problem is that when I download Utorrent and run the installation program and I tried to browse to the Vision M icon, it doesn't see it. How do I also make the Vision M appear as an external hard drive? I installed the Vision M Media Explorer so I'm not sure if that is what's making it not work.

2. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    just use the no-install/standalone of utorrent. It's just a single .exe file that when you run it, the app runs directly.

3. _Mazza_

Member _Mazza_ GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    He knows that but he wants to know how to select the Vision:m as the download directory. I don't know how, I don't even think it can be done.

4. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If the Vision:M is a USB mass storage device (which it is), it should show up when you go to My Computer.

5. mr_blonde_88

Member mr_blonde_88 Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That

United Kingdom
    download the single .exe file that jeklnoo was on about to ur pc, then drag and drop it onto ur vision M?

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    So.... I know discover that there was an option in the player to portion out a part of the HDD purely for USB storage... and hey, I got instant storage....

7. mr_blonde_88

United Kingdom
    lol, i was gunna say, i thought creative mp3 players had the option of turnin itself into a HDD

8. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Yeah, sorry I'm late to the thread... hehe

I use the Portable HDD on my 30GB V:W quite often, it is a lifesaver [​IMG]

I have mine set to 4GB right now.

9. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Me too, the Micro does the same thing [​IMG] (128Mb over here, hardly use it and that's the smallest it'll let it go)

10. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Oh, so Creatives can't do it automatically? On my Toshiba GigaBeat (or at least before I traded it in for Wii credit [​IMG]) I could just drop files onto it without having to do anything. That's too bad, but oh well...

11. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    Yeah the data's on a separate partition to the music. Or something like that. The newer players (or later firmware versions for older ones) natively allow drag-drop onto the music part, but you have to put the player into removable disc mode to get the data section to work like that. It's a bit of a pain but you get used to it.

[Edit] Might be something to do with the fact that the players display and sort tracks by tags, not filenames so maybe unexpected file types muddled in with the music confuse it? Just a theory.

12. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Theory is correct. I have DDR Soundtracks on my V:W and its a mess cause there is no way to sort by folder. I have to say this is the first time i've ever used any sort of playlist feature...

13. mr_blonde_88

United Kingdom
    My iPod Video doesn't let you drag and drop music onto it, so it's then listenable through the iPod, but i can drag and drop files onto the iPod and use it as a storage device [​IMG]

14. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    Shinji: Ah yes, soundtracks and compliations are fun. But if you fix the tags first they're fine. (MP3 Tag Studio is a lifesaver)

For soundtracks (where I probably only have one song by each artist) I slap a ~ on the front of the artist name tag. In "view by artist" mode, they're all forced to the bottom of the list, thus leaving all the useful artists who I have full albums of at the top. Tag the album name and track numbers correctly, then you can play the soundtrack from "view by album name" mode.

No more playlists for albums, and one tidy artist list [​IMG]

(My genre tags are still totally f'ked though. That's one mess I'm leaving alone [​IMG])

15. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    BRILLIANT!!! You rock Psyfira.

I have not nor never will touch genre, cause frankly, its all one big mess to begin with (Rap/Rock, Rock, Light Rock, Metal)...and thats just one song XD

16. Psyfira

United Kingdom
    Always happy to help / save someone from spending 3 days tagging then re-tagging everything trying to figure out something that works [​IMG]