Topfraggers Review on DS gaming.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Topfragger, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2008
  1. Topfragger
    OP

Member Topfragger GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Okay then this is my Experience with DS gaming pretty much, i recommend this read to anyone who wants to decide whether to get a DS or not.

Okay first of all the Nintendo DS is a very good system but get the wrong titles for it and you will be very dissapointed and feel ripped off.

i have played on an Original DS and i have a DS lite which i've had since 2006
    it's an excellent system the DS lite is more stylish and has improved backlight the DS phat is more functional in ergonomic standards.
    What items you should get for a DS lite is

a cleaning cloth and a carrying pouch nothing fancy just a basic zipper case

The graphics on the DS are like the N64 but unfortunately allot of games just use 2D or don't make use of the 3D very much and use minimal graphics with horrid choppy edges and pixelated textures, the DS has some games that make full use of it.
    but even the 2D ones can look really nice.

Recommended games for DS once you get one.

Sonic Rush and Adventure
    Mario Kart DS (must have)
    New Super Mario Bros
    Wario Ware Touched
    Meteos

These five games should make you feel like the DS is worthwhile and are unlikely to dissapoint you, beware shovelware....
    the DS appeals most to people that have an appreciation for retro feels of games, and games that are more focused on gameplay mechanics, and classic stuff the DS absolutely rocks for platformers as NSMB and SR prove.

It would be a good idea to buy yourself a DS flashcartridge (Acekard 2 if you just want the basics that work or a SupercardDSone if you want a more customiseable experience)
    Use a flashcart to download games, games you really enjoy you should buy and the Flashcart can be helpful as most DS games are allways at top price and usually never drop (yeah thanks allot Nintendo we love you too ,,!,,)
    So dont feel bad, only pay for the games that give you bang for your 40 or so dollars.

Fuck crappy licensed games or watered down ports you should never have to pay for them.

the battery in the DS lite lasts a good long time and is a helpful thing you rarely have to charge a DS lite when it has a new battery over time it will wear out and you might need a new one but even then you still get allot of mileage for the juice it can still store.
    the DS lite because its shiny can have smudge problems especially on the black one and dark colors where fingerprints easily show especially when light reflects off the surface and oily finger prints are on there and unless your cleaning it every 5 minutes it will allways be smudgy,
    the only problem with cleaning the DS is the touch screen has this stupid ridge around the edges which traps oil and dead skin cells essentially all your hand grime and is a pain to remove, unless done with a toothpick tip.
    whereas the top screen is easily wiped clean.

the DS is a tough handheld in both versions, the only weakpoints being the hinges so take care of them.

The DS shines in Wifi play with other people in the room there are few things that are the same king of fun as playing Mario kart DS with other people in the same room.
    the WFC experience however is rather dissapointing with friend codes being a real hinderance, and to add a friend you must both be online at the same time and add eachother at the same time, (only sure way is to do it over MSN or IRL which is obviously what Nintendo wants, only your real life friends being able to add you which is stupid)

Overall its a good thing, the design is excellent its a nice build and has some good games if you know where to look for them.

I recommend it to almost anyone,
    but if you want a media player that plays games, go get the PSP and the PSP has better homebrew for things like Emulation, its a little tricky and you need to buy an older stock to have best chances of homebrew being enabled, but still worthwhile if thats your thing.

Thank you.

2. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    I disagree on many levels... there are MUCH Games which won't dissapoint you...

these games and these are definitly worth a look !

And don't forget the games to come, like Kingdomhearts, Trackmania, Ankh, Syberia and many more

About the Homebrew thing, forget about what you said, the DS got at least as many emus and stuff as the PSP (minus the more powerful PSP emus).

I recommend totally rewriting this "Review" since it won't help anyone, seeing how you registerd on May 08 I can quite sure say that you didn't use your DS for over 2 years or longer, cause if you would have your writing would have been more clear and logical.

Anyway, nice idea just not so well thought through.

3. Topfragger
    OP

Australia
    Oh yes and i am very sure that every new DS owner is going to have 1000$ to spend on all those games plenty of which are crap or comes down to a small group of people liking it where the majority wont.

MANY games like Final Fantasy 3 and DS FPS's are dissapointing.

4. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Two topics in the past while semi-bashing on two of Nintendo's most successful systems...do you work for Sony?

5. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Bashing? Here he keeps saying that the DS is an excellent system...

6. Stickell

Newcomer Stickell Advanced Member

United States
    Man, i like psp and ds, ds more definetly, all of the psp games that i have played get old really fast, you wanna know why? because with a handheld system like that it is just a good as making a gameboy with good graphics, good graphics practically make the psp. seriously, save up maybe 150 more dollars and buy a laptop if your just buying the psp for the stylish homebrow. the reason ds is better is because the ds has something that switchs it up, instead of going full blown graphics, they added a touch screen, and for about thirty more dollars you can get a flashcard and make your ds just as good, saving you fifty-sixty bucks!

7. Topfragger
    OP

Australia
    Wow.... DS fanboy rage
    [​IMG]

PSP and DS pretty much suck without Homebrew/Flashcart

But for someone that doesn't use a flashcard for their own reasons (like because they prefer to buy games to do the right thing which i disagree with provisionarily but each to his own) I would only recommend those 5 games first off for someone that just got their DS because they should appeal to anyone.
    I never liked Mario when i played MKDS and NSMB but i enjoyed those games and got me into Mario games altogether.

It's very typical of Nintendo DS Fanatacists to get enraged when you don't list every last DS game as being must have or good, because they believe the DS library is all good *snorts*
    Hooray for Cooking mama! and Wario Ware touched and Sega feel the magic! and Gimmicky rubbish that anyone can compile with a Flash Engine and a simple touch and click game tutorial.

Though Wario ware is fun and good but i wouldn't pay full price for it unless it was really discounted. because its production budget is obviously low in comparison to games like SR NSMB SM64 DR MPH etc...

8. Topfragger
    OP

Australia
    Thank you Salamantis..

9. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I think if your spelling and grammar weren't so awful the review would be received better. The mammoth sentences and mistakes make the reader feel like he's being lectured by a breathless kid on things he already knows about (ie, telling people on GBATemp about the benefits of flashcards).

10. Topfragger
    OP

Australia
    Allright first off that post was just full of SLOWNESS.
    Spelling wrong? I care very much about spelling and it has allways been my strength i never concerned much attention about grammar.

Your on an internet gaming forum, if you are not used to people making typos and using even leet speech then your lost on here.

Also, i wrote this as a quick review that i plan to update and is open for discussion i care about trivial spelling when writing a resume,letter or book or script.

another thing aynone can raed mispslet wrods vrey eisaly if the frist and lsat letter of a wrod is in the rgiht plaec.

11. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    I dunno. I'm kind of offended by your lack of knowledge in both departments not the amount of grammatical and spelling mistakes.

For example, you no longer need to have a specific version of PSP to be able to install custom firmware. Other then that, the review was OK but most of the people on here have a DS and don't really need a review on the DS gaming scene. Why don't you concentrate your efforts on reviewing a game or piece of homebrew?

12. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I spent over $1000 on DS games [​IMG]

It's not hard to find out which games are worth buying, but after a certain point, and when flash carts got good enough I bought one.

I don't really get why you made this topic, just about everyone here has a DS and a flashcart, you don't really need to explain anything to us and you kinda did a bad job anyways

13. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    When the person professing to speak with authority on a subject doesn't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' and thinks 'a lot' is one word then it doesn't fill you with confidence about their integrity, even if the review wasn't badly presented and full of nonsense. Also makes you sound about 12. No-one's saying every post on a messageboard has to be proofread, but if you're trying to do a definitive review you're hoping people are going to refer to before getting a DS you should at least make sure it's punctuated and not full of remedial errors.

That self recommendation at the start is a bit presumptuous, especially when what follows is a vague and rambling summation of things which have been said thousands of times before (The PSP is better for media, there's lots of shovelware on the DS) coupled with far too specific games recommendations with little indication you understand how subjective a 'good game' is. Rather than just bullishly presenting your point as fact, it would be better if you at least acknowledge that there are people who like games like Final Fantasy and would enjoy the FF3 remake, even if it's not something that floats your boat.

14. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Well, I had no use of this review, but I can see it's purpose if somone who is about to decide on handheld, reads it..
    I completely disagree with you on your game choices..As a reviewer you must be objective, and mentioned games that were well accepted by the people, and not you..
    Final Fantasy III is my favorite DS game so far, but I didn't like Sonic Rush, Adventure and Meteos!!

Your review is too general, you'd be able to make much more better work if you covered some details about the scene behind it, and didn't generalize games as bad 2D (but good on the other side) and not-so-used 3D that usually use minimal graphics with horrid choppy edges and pixelated textures..

15. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Coming from someone who admits buying games is the wrong thing to do, and then limits only 5 titles of which quality can be debated on a couple, then shoots down a fantastic list of other games that are more or less damn good can not be taken with any form of credibility let alone basic intelligence. Instead of attacking people with lame comebacks why not try and maybe say why you think something sucks (ie: FF3...no idea why) or why something really is great to you and then maybe people won't tear you to pieces.

16. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    While it was a good attempt at a review, you seem to have it mixed up with this thing I like to call opinion! There are many, many good DS titles that you yourself haven't played (you say you haven't got much money OR a flashcard), so you can't express an honest opinion on what games everyone will enjoy on the system.
    And when you're listing games anyone will like, Brain Training and Nintendogs come top of the list. They are designed to appeal to most people. Anyway, at least it gave you some English practice, it might help with your exams. [​IMG]

Haha, you've just given us a totally biased review of the DS, and you don't expect reactions like that? Silly boy...

17. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    For me, the DS has a lot more games that I liked than previous handhelds AND consoles (excluding PC).

Games such as Hotel Dusk, and the 4 GS games.

18. feds4u

Banned feds4u Banned

United States
    Fanboy fail troll has failed again.

[​IMG]

(This "review" was one of the most ambitious trolling attempts I've ever seen. Very amusing.)

19. Topfragger
    OP

Australia
    Oh Geez is this why so many PSP "fans" hate DS users so much?
    Let's see your basing your stupid comment on my OPINION my review is based on my Experiences with the DS but of course your so STUPID and rigid minded you think Review must mean all knowing cosmic power, you act like my view on the DS is supposed to be the final word on whether or not its good.

i know how fanboy phsycology works, also if i worked for Sony then it really makes me wonder why on earth i owna Toshiba laptop instead of a Viao and believe me i could have bought a Viao this laptop was recently purchased, i have a Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS which is what i play almost every day now, and i haven't turned on my PSP for anything much either because i'm not into it at the moment.

BIASED?

Quit wasting my fucking time, if anyone who ISN'T a DS bot please comment, all these people above me on this page are just angry because i didn't say what they want to hear in which case i would be putting balls in my mouth and i am not a gaming prostitute.
    i had to restrain my enthusiasm for the DS because my enthusiasm and everyone elses for what they like misleads people.

20. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    It's nothing to do with anyone being a fanboy, it's everything to do with you having a poor writing style and flawed arguments. There have been posts which are far more critical of the DS which have been well received because they put forward a point well instead of just being a mess. You've pointed out yourself you said the DS is an excellent system so why do you think the only reason no-one finds your review useful is because they're fanboys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.