Hardware Tools needed to install modchip

Ikenna

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm new to the modding scene and I plan on buying the new wiip v2 modchip, so can anybody tell me exactly what tools i need to purchase to mod a wii like the soldering stuff and other things and where i can buy them, thanks.

Goldcoastr

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.goldcoastrs-modchips.com
XP
Country
hi to start you will need a 15w soldering iron

you can find these at your local electronics shop

NOT 30W there too hotif dont already have one you will need a triwing screw driver + a small phillips head screw driver

Triwing is the type for the nintendo saftey screw to prevent users from opening there consoles to mod them

we have sum there look like these

WIIscrewdriverformodchips.jpg

Tri-wing Screw Driver Set 8.50ea

Most Important

A good steady Hand & Good Work space to perform the mod good lighting in room +

Good Amount Of Kynar Wire 1m to 2 m just incase need little extra

smile.gif

nycwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.15 diamaeteer rosin core solder
desoldering braid or iron for messups
liquid flux
15watt
30 awg kynar wire
triwind scredriver
very small phillips scredriver

if you are uneasy you can ship it to me and ill install it 4 u pm me 4 the details

woytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yea well I soldered my wiikey with a 45W iron and did fine. I set the temperature just right and the job was pretty neat. That said I must admit I'm new at soldering also...

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just fixed my solder job this evening. A pad came off on the board but i managed to get a connection on that paricular wire that connected to the pad. The conection was lose and came off today, i fixed it with a 45W i think.
Most of it was done with a 30W. Just be patient and dont let the iron get too hot. If you are getting frustrated cause you can't get a joint try turning of the iron, letting it cool down and come back to the job later, it may just save you wii's life.
tongue.gif

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Get a soldering iron with the lowest wattage you can find. I have a Goot 13 Watt Soldering Iron(soon to be upgraded to a Goot Lead Free Soldering Staion).

I have not chipped a Wii, but problems arise with soldering irons being to hot with anything(IC's to Wii's). Have a desoldering wick handy(I recommend Goot).

Get the thinnest solder you can find( I have 0.71 mm solder). 30AWG wire and a phillipshead screwdriver and triwing screwdriver(goldcoastrs is expensive, try dealextreme for 2 bucks).

woytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Get a soldering iron with the lowest wattage you can find. I have a Goot 13 Watt Soldering Iron(soon to be upgraded to a Goot Lead Free Soldering Staion).

I have not chipped a Wii, but problems arise with soldering irons being to hot with anything(IC's to Wii's). Have a desoldering wick handy(I recommend Goot).

Get the thinnest solder you can find( I have 0.71 mm solder). 30AWG wire and a phillipshead screwdriver and triwing screwdriver(goldcoastrs is expensive, try dealextreme for 2 bucks).

Are you seriously kidding me here?

First off, the wattage of a soldering iron has nothing and I mean NOTHING to do with temperature. It has to do with the amount of energy it can deliver per second. If you got a really weak soldering iron, it will have a hard time warming up a lump of solder. With the small pads on the Wii though, it'll do fine.

If you have a higher wattage soldering iron, it will have have less trouble warming up more mass than a weaker iron. But when treated carefully it can do the job on the Wii with ease.

Also, the thickness of your solder doesn't really matter does it? You want to get some solder on your tip, not put it directly on your Wii board.

nycwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would reccomend getting a quality triwing. even tho they are expensive, the cheap 1 fall apart after a few uses, and are not reliable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?