Hacking Tools for modding dust cover to fit EZ4L

CrazyPeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So I successfully modded my original NDSL dust cover so that my EZ4L fits inside it, and now the whole thing fits perfectly inside my NDS without any extrusion. However, there is one problem though. The width of the PCB is so long that I had to shave the face (front panel) of the dust cover to the point where it became transparent.

All of this was done using a Dremel...and the result is not pretty, as you can imagine. Basically here's what I did: I used the base (bottom) plastic that came with the EZ4L and got rid of the front panel. I then took the top part of the original dust cover, and got rid of all the plastic sticking up so that all you have left is a flat surface behind the front panel, and then shaved the front panel to the point where it became transparent (see through). Now I just put the two pieces together (with the PCB inside) and glued them together using super glue. Now the front panel looks ugly because it's see through (partially anyway). I think I can do a better job if I had more control over how deep to cut into the front panel. So I was wondering what kind of tool I should use for this kind of job? Like I said, I used a Dremel and it was tough to control and hard to create flat surfaces.

Also many people found that the battery of the EZ4L is too high to fit inside this configuration. I resolved this problem by cutting a "pocket" on the original dust cover where the battery goes. Basically I planned to cut a hole there. But I realized that the battery fits in perfectly before I puntured a hole there so I just stopped there.

DSC00693.JPG
DSC00694.JPG

DSC00695.JPG
DSC00696.JPG

DSC00698.JPG
DSC00699.JPG

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice work!!!! I was wondering why noone had done that.. and look at it now! nice work, and maybe you can paint w/ white out on the inside transparent cover to make it white again.

zone97

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When mine comes in I will be doing the same thing, however i will be taking a different approach. I will post a guide and step by step pictures of what i used and how it works along the way.. Stay tuned.. Im guessing some time around next tuesday.

zone97

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think I can do a better job if I had more control over how deep to cut into the front panel. So I was wondering what kind of tool I should use for this kind of job? Like I said, I used a Dremel and it was tough to control and hard to create flat surfaces.

If i was going to "shave" the front down here is how i would do it..

You would need 4 things..

a drill press.
a sanding wheel "like for a dremel"
a piece of straight edge wood
2 clamps.

i would raise the platform for the drillpress right up to the sanding wheel, leave enough room for the carts bottom
to slide under it.
i would then clamp the wood to the platform, and move it to the desiered thickness. messuring beween the wheel and the wood. Then secure it with the other clamp. Now turn on the drill press and push the card between the wood and the wheel and it should shave off the inside of the plastic leaving it uniform in thickness. from edge to edge.

diagram5la.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: