Tools for chiping my Wii...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Prime, Nov 7, 2007.

Nov 7, 2007

Tools for chiping my Wii... by Prime at 3:54 PM (878 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Prime
    OP

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
  2. Wheejang

Newcomer Wheejang Newbie

United States
    yep, that'll work. I don't know why everyone suggests a 15W. I like to use a 30W.

3. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    I used:
    very small lead flux
    superglue

cheap and easy!

I used the flux as wires and insulted them with tape. Works great!

4. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States

wait wait you super glued the wires ? no solder ?

5. Wheejang

Newcomer Wheejang Newbie

United States
    I'm pretty sure he means he used the solder as wires and wrapped tape around them. I've seen it done before, but i wouldn't trust it as solder isn't as strong as copper wire, but to each his own.

6. paul1991

Banned paul1991 Banned

United States
    Yeah. I used no wires. Only solder. I can easily remove it now. And I had no worry about burning a point off.

7. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    are you dealing with a cut leg wii? d2c?

a lot of the things you have are unnecessary unless you find yourself in a mess. can you buy things locally?

if you're dealing with an earlier wii that's simple points, then the job is really easy and you don't need much at all.

flux would help you a lot, but for that simple a job if you didn't have it and wanted to save money, you could probably get away without it.

as for wire, again if you're not having to rebuild legs, (even if you are) most household wires are thin enough. I'm talking about like if you have any wire like from a lamp or something that's not in use or you don't mind stealing a small length. ide cables, any cables that have multiple strands inside, you should be able to use a single strand and use that.

soldering iron and solder of course are needed. i wouldn't worry about the holder. you should be able to rest it on the desk and the iron part will be in the air assuming you dont have the wire pushing the iron down on the table.

there's no need to insulate the wires in tape either. depending on how you solder the chip on, you may need something to fix it in place, but other than that..

8. Prime
    OP

United Kingdom
    Earlier Wii, Non-Cut Legs (i think)

9. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The only things you really need , if you have a non-cut leg one are a phillips head screwdriver, a tri-wing screwdriver, a thin ~10-15 watt soldering iron and some thin solder.

That's if you do the fast, easy, quick solder method w/o wires.

10. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    underpressure, those 8 people you refer must all also complete an offer i presume? even as is, 9x10=$90 is still good, but seems like a hassle, especially since they'd check that the 8 other people are unique or disqualify you

as for using quicksolder method, i wouldnt do it unless i were completely confident. and even then, using a little bit of wire isn't going to kill you. but if you screw up with quicksolder, you'll have a much much harder time digging yourself back out

11. Prime
    OP

United Kingdom
    lol wut?