• Replies 90
  • Likes 14

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Well, I want to make it accessible to everybody having a basic knowledge in programmation (functions, loops, conditions, etc).
So Java / JS / etc... coders will understand what's happening.
Could you possibly help me make the transition between Java and C.

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Could you possibly help me make the transition between Java and C.
which part is confusing to you? @xem is mostly a web developer so he probably couldn't help you there (which is why i've done a bunch of writing on the wiki regarding the C/++ aspects). The only difference that I can come up with that might trip you up is that you need to manually allocate and release your memory when using pointers, and there is no requirement (but it is possible) to write 100% object oriented code (I personally do write OOP).. There are some links on the wiki page with some good C++ references as well.

OctopusRift

GBATemp's Local Octopus, Open 9am-2am. "Not Yet"
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
which part is confusing to you? @xem is mostly a web developer so he probably couldn't help you there (which is why i've done a bunch of writing on the wiki regarding the C/++ aspects). The only difference that I can come up with that might trip you up is that you need to manually allocate and release your memory when using pointers, and there is no requirement (but it is possible) to write 100% object oriented code (I personally do write OOP).. There are some links on the wiki page with some good C++ references as well.
Yeah... I think there's just a mental block for me... I have a hard time likening the two languages... if feels like learning spanish with a base in french... you know?

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've seen some more advanced set-ups, at least for windows on github. If anyone would like to figure out how to dissect those and document how to recreate them on the wiki, then please shoot me a message! I'm currently short on time myself..

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've seen some more advanced set-ups, at least for windows on github. If anyone would like to figure out how to dissect those and document how to recreate them on the wiki, then please shoot me a message! I'm currently short on time myself..
Could you share one of theme? What do you mean by advanced setup? etc.

Ps. Probably want to unsticky this thread. The tutorial in question was never finished and is really outdated at this point.

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Could you share one of theme? What do you mean by advanced setup? etc.

Ps. Probably want to unsticky this thread. The tutorial in question was never finished and is really outdated at this point.
I just took a look and it looks like I was wrong, since I can't find any project that makes use of visual studio for 3ds dev anymore.
For me personally, I've decided to leave the 3ds alone until the sdk matures more in the gpu and audio departments so I don't mind if this thread is unstickied. I don't think the wiki is that outdated however. The only difference as far as I am aware is that there are now better starting points / examples than the one(s) mentioned or used in what we wrote almost one year ago now. IDE set-up still works, doesn't it?

Also, why not update the wiki instead of making your own site? I believe you have direct edit/write access, don't you?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1