Tool used for flashing DS lite question

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by Harsky, Sep 11, 2007.

Sep 11, 2007
  1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    My sister is getting a DSlite just so she can play her EZFIV on it. Unfortunately, I just remembered that it won't boot slot 2 carts on it's own unless it has a passcard or I flash it and since I can't be bothered ordering a passcard, I decided to go for the flashing option. Now, I flashed my original DSPhat before and the tool I used was a a mini screwdriver to put into the little hole to flash. Isn't it true that I have to use something different to flash because if it accidently touches any other points, I'm in danger of messing up the DS? Also, is it okay to put flashme.nds on R4DS?

2. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    I ever wondered the same because my Bro has a Lite too... I guess it is right that you need to use a specific tool that ONLY shorts the point you need to rewirte the write protected firmware area. Maybe a thin flat headed screwdriver ?

3. tomqman

Member tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

United Kingdom
  4. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I've flashed a couple of DS Lite. The best thing I think is a toothpick wrapped in aluminium foil. Then some scotch tape around it so only the tip has the foil uncovered. It works like a charm, all the time it went to 100% like a bullet.

5. sanchoquo

Newcomer sanchoquo Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    unfortunately without a passthrough device you wont be able to boot into the flash cartridge to start the firmware update.

6. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    I used a paper clip.

It works just so nice ive flashed mine and my sisters DS 2 times all succes.

7. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    He is going to be using his R4 to hold the flashme files.

EDIT- From what I remember it was easy to screw up an installation if you trembled to much on a DSL. Have it plugged into a power supply as well and you will be fine.

8. sanchoquo

Newcomer sanchoquo Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Apologies, then in that case your R4 will be perfect for holding the Flashme files,
    enjoy [​IMG]