Tool to check for Fraken Firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Dracari, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Dracari
    OP

Dracari GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 5, 2009
    United States
    some time ago i helped a friend hack his 3DS (A9LH) well before the advent of B9S, yesterday he wound up updating (caught by the nag screen and pressing A on it instead of launching the game)

theres some things as he's told me over Discord that dont seem Right,
    he HAD Luma 8.5 (he'd hadto of done the B9S Upgrade at one point when i linked it to him as it came out, )
    w/ an older Luma version he should of been getting the "Failed to Apply (1) Firm Patches!" but he didnt. (either he's lying or this is whats hinting he's got a fraken-Firmware)
    NTR despite being updated, crashes on loading 3.6 (another thing that doesnt "Smell" right here.
    everything had been working before Despite updating (im getting teh feeling again he's got a fraken firmware ontop of a bad SD Card.)

i thought i had seen at one point a homebrew tool to detect if you have a mismatched(Fraken) Firmware, buta quick search shows up Jack :/

his only options as far s i understand is restore an old backup (which he has none) and a proper 11.8 CTRTransfeer,

is there a guide out there ment for noobs i could throw his way if he hasto fix by ctr transfeer including how to backup tickets and reinstall after?

2. TyDye

TyDye Nintendo 3DS Geek

Apr 22, 2016
    United States
    Milky Way Galaxy
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/ctrtransfer

3. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
  4. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    hecks frankenfirmware

5. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    When you basically mix certain bits from different firmwares

6. Itzumi

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    and why would anyone want that

7. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Not that someone wants it, just that if someone update the 3DS via cart, the last part of the firmware doesn't get updated, so you might end up with like something like 11.8.0-4U instead of 11.8.0-41U

8. AmandaRose

AmandaRose The Fallen Angel

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    So as to say be on latest firmware but to keep features from lower firmware that may have been blocked in the latest version like an exploitable Internet browser ect

9. Itzumi

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    so its a glitch then

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ive been ninjad

10. Hayato213

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Glitched firmware, incomplete firmware.

11. Mark McDonut

Mark McDonut GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster

Oct 8, 2008
    United States
    it happened unintentionally when some users downgraded, and would happen if you updated and downgraded specific system titles using cias rather than through official firmware, safesysupdater and other methods prior to the availability of ctrtransfer to do it cleanly.