Too many AK2i problems... Which flash cart should I buy now?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by alexg1989, Jan 30, 2011.

1. alexg1989
    OP

Member alexg1989 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I got the acekard cause it was cheap and because I heard great things about it but I've been having too many problems with it.

For maybe the first month it was working perfectly, until the DS started having trouble recognizing it. That turned out to be that familiar contact issue. I did the paper trick and it worked better from then on. Few weeks later my Moonshell stopped working completely. Had to reformat the MicroSD and now it's working great again. Now since last night my DS has been having trouble reading the cart again but not like before. Now the screen will go black while I'm playing and say that the Game card has been removed even though it was still tight in the slot. It did that a few times while I was playing DBZ SSW...

What is the best hassle-free flash cart I can get that won't consistently give me problems???

2. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    Acekard 2.i of course.

Simply get another one! It's the best card to play DS ROMs! [​IMG]

3. rave420

Member rave420 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    supercard DS2.

The best money can buy right now, and it's only the price of a single retail game.
    You won't be disappointed.

But sure, buy another R4 clone or some other clone card, and be disappointed.

4. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    dstwo, best cart available
    or
    r4i gold, the one that use wood firmware

5. Aijelsop

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Get an original R4.

6. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    R4i-Gold. I can't evangelize this enough.

7. rave420

Canada
    Supercard DS2:
    -RTS Function that works well, is fast at loading the ingame menu and saves
    -Onboard cheat editor, that lets you change cheats on the fly during the game
    -Plays (some) movies without converting just fine
    -Slot 1 GBA / SNES emulation
    -Near perfect AAP compatability, i have not needed to use any patch whatsoever.

those are SCDS2 exclusive features, that upgrade your gaming experience.

all those are points that make me say, get a SCDS2.

the r4wood has got the bare minimum, and runs games fine provided there are patches for it. If you don't care about all the crap listed above, then yeah, get some wood (i wouldn't consider this an option).

8. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Those don't seem to be the fault of the Acekard...what type of MicroSD card are you using?

9. 777kidis777

Member 777kidis777 Big Red

United States
    iSmart MM. Pretty great cart! ;D

10. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    I recommend the R4i Gold with Wood firmware as a good alternative.

11. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    This is my set up:

Acekard2i 1.8.1 (I think... not exactly sure but I think that's the firmware)
    DS Lite
    Sandisk 4gb SDHC

12. bjorno

Member bjorno GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    You should update the loader to 1.8.5.

1. Format your cart with panasonic formatter
    2. Place akaio 1.8.5 on it
    3. Place akaio 1.8.5a on it
    4. It should be fine unless your cart is faulty or something if the papertrick does not work.

13. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

14. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    K, this isn't an Acekard problem per'se, but it is something I'm worried about. Earlier today I was playing a game, (spirit tracks) and then I did a soft-reset to take me back to the Aki menu like I've done so countless times before. Instead of taking me to the Aki menu, it took me to the cart selection screen where you select slot 2 or slot 1 card. I clicked on slot 1 acekard and it went but it didn't show anything in the root... Then I shut my DS off and turned it back on. It was still able to recognize the Acekard, but after I pressed on Acekard it just stayed on the loading screen. That happens if the DS isn't able to recognize the microSD right? So that had me worried for a bit. I thought all my info had gotten wiped out. I took out my acekard and removed the SD and blew into the little slot where the SD goes... Since then it's been working normally, but I was wondering if this is like an early sign that my SD is getting screwed?

I formatted it twice already in like one week... Once because my moonshell stopped working and again when I updated to akaio 1.8.5 firmware

15. TheTwoR's

Member TheTwoR's Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D

Belgium
    Get another Acekard2i.
    It's a very good card.
    I don't know what on earth was wrong with yours.
    I've had mine for over a year and you can't tell the difference between it and a new one.

16. rave420

Canada
    yeah, flashcards are not hassle free. it just doesn't work like that.

there are slim differences in user interfaces and methods of operation, but you pretty much have to figure out a lot of stuff yourself.

if you want your card to automatically start in the folder you left off, then there is a menu function for that, or there isn't. Either way, you got no choice other than to go with what you're provided, and find a solution yourself. Sure you don't want to write your own flashcard OS.

so be happy you get to play your backups the way you do, anything else is just luxury.

If you want a card that gives you less "hassle" then other cards, i may suggest a SCDS2. Even this card doesn't automatically go to the last place you left off of, and it's one of the best cards there is.

Lower your expectations, and always expect the worst. because then, you often get pleasantly suprised [​IMG]

17. airss

Newcomer airss Member

United States
    maybe your are not luck, i got my acekard 2i from 4CoolDay 1 year ago, it still works well.

If you want to get a new card, i also recommend supercard dstwo, it is the must powerful card till now, real time save, Built-in GBA & SNES Emulator, built-in CPU allows for even greater speed ....

18. alexg1989
    OP

United States
    hmmm, haven't had any issue with the Acekard2i since I made this thread...

hopefully it stays this way... lol

19. rave420

Canada
    contact issues?

get an iEDGE, it's one of the most solid build cards i have ever seen, full set of teeth protecting the contacts.

it also has got no buldges whatsoever, i am sure there won't be any contact issues here.

i noticed that the Acekard has SHORTER contact plates then most cards, and this is what is causing the prolems here. maybe 1/32th of an inch shorter, but it's enough that the DS doesn't regonize it.

take a HARD pencil, and extend the contacts all the way to the bottom of the PCB. make sure your pencil leads don't touch, and you will be okay. it solved all my contact issues for me.

20. syph007

Newcomer syph007 Member

Canada
    I really like my EZflash Vi. I think its an underated card.