legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have been waiting on this game for a long long time, finally a demo and a proper release date (about 4 weeks away).

For those who don't know, Too Human was almost complete on its original platform, the PS1, on 4 CDs.
Silicon Knights partnered with Nintendo and it was in dev for the Gamecube but wasn't finished. Instead they released Eternal Darkness and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.
Then they departed from Nintendo and partnered with MS for Too Human (now a trilogy) for release on the 360 and Nintendo still own Silicon Knights stock.

The servers are currently being hammered (probably because of this) this expect a long wait to download, its 1.09GB.

EDIT: Forgot to give my opinions, great demo but flawed camera control does impact on it a bit. The other controls are good, though what is usually targeting or camera controls is a sword attack and when trying to shoot this is a pain though it shows its own when fighting a legion of enemies surrounding you as you can slash around you. Combining the sword and shooting can be used to a good DMC effect.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've heard mixed thoughts about it.

I'm waiting untill The Official Xbox 360 Magazine puts the demo on disc. 1.1GB is to much for me to download with my internet speeds.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
What would you score it out of 10 from just the demo m8?
I'm really looking forward to the game even though it's received loads of bad press I really can't imagine it being AS bad as they make out. I think 10 years in dev and SK behind it is a recipe for success.
I can't get the demo (maybe later this week) so I'll hold out for the full rip next month!

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would score it an 8-9 its highly playable, I got into it straight away.
Graphics are great, though it has a bit of slow down in areas.
I found that the camera problems the biggest issue in the demo.
It the RPG elements to it are mostly seamless, though there is a power up menu when you pause the game and you can choose where you want your stats to be increased.

I wasn't paying a great deal of attention (trying to talk on messenger at the same time) and often missed the end of a cut scene and beginning of a playable section, usually because of the camera system.
It seems like the camera system is part fixed and part movable. It probably wouldn't be a problem when you are used to it.
Likewise I often missed if I had done all I had to in a specific area, often the completion of a task was met with a cut scene but in one area this wasn't the case, there was a voice over but I didn't know if I had to finish something else in that area or progress somewhere else. This was probably because I wasn't paying a great deal of attention.

The controls are mainly traditional, the triggers are primary and secondary fire modes and A is jump. The others are different, the right analogue stick is a directional sword attack. There is an automatic lock on mode, but it doesn't change with a priority once locked on and you have to manually change with the right analogue stick. Its hard to explain, once you start shooting you are locked on, if in range, the same thing happens when using the sword attack. Suddenly you are sprinting across the level because there wasn't a closer enemy in the direction you tapped.

It might sound like I have more to say about the flaws and that my score is too high, but I pick flaws with all games. I am aiming to be a games designer and (IMO) if I can't improve on what is currently available I have no business becoming a games designer and might as well work for EA and find me a nice shovel.

Anyway I digress.

On the whole the flaws in the controls/camera don't stop the game from being enjoyable. If this demo is of an older build and the controls/camera will be fixed and the length not being pitiful like a lot of recent high profile games then I would highly recommend picking up a copy.
If you are unsure about the whole RPG elements or that the controls/camera will ruin the game for you try the demo.

To say the game has been in dev for over 10 years it isn't near what it should be, but things may have changed since it was almost finished 9 years ago. The thing that worries me the most is that because SK have said this is a trilogy and all parts will be on the 360 and that this chapter won't be that long.

I will be trying to get a copy next month, ATM I have no money and little to sell on eBay.

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
Nice write up m8, I'm kinda hopin it's from an older build too lol
Also about it being a trilogy and all on 360, I hope they haven't just cut up a 40hr game! I guess it will be short if they want you to play through each class.. can you choose all classes on the demo?

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thug4L1f3 said:
Nice write up m8, I'm kinda hopin it's from an older build too lol
Also about it being a trilogy and all on 360, I hope they haven't just cut up a 40hr game! I guess it will be short if they want you to play through each class.. can you choose all classes on the demo?

4 classes in the demo. I went with the Champion....jack of all trades guy. The demo itself was highly entertaining. Like legendofphil said, the camera is not so hot. Not as bad as I've seen in other games tho. I think the right stick should have been used for camera control instead of the directional attack system. Something else I noticed was that the AI troops that tag along, do just that, tag along and NOTHING else lol. I ended up slaughtering everything myself, which wasnt a bad thing because it was fun. A little sloppy though. Would have been nice to have a lock-on target button but the auto lock-on does a pretty decent job. The sword/gunplay reminded me of Devil May Cry, except it wasn't nearly as fluent as Dante/Nero.

Well, I'm definitely gonna get this game.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have silver + buncha 2 day trail coupons so I can't download it yet but I've heard people say:
1st playthrough: Meh
2nd playthrough: Oh, not bad
3rd playthrough: Niiiiice...

Looks like fixed camera and right stick attack takes some getting used to.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night